CD Storage
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Having almost finished ripping my 1000+ CDs to my hard drive and haveing moved all of the discs and liner notes from jewel cases to sleeves to conserve space, does anyone have a suggestion for a way to store all the CDs. I ripped them all at lossless and will listen 99% of the time to the ripped versions so the storage is meant to be pretty long-term but accessability isn't super important. I think I'm looking for a set of durable cardboard boxes -- why am I having such a hard time finding such a thing??

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 10
The most robust storage would probably be the spindles bulk CD-R media are sold in. I keep my CDs in CaseLogic wallets, but that's because I have to re-rip some with cdparanoia and can't put them in storage just yet.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10
When I moved I packed my CD collection in I went to Walmart and looked in the department which has the plastic storage boxes or containers. You will recognize the department because it has shelves full of different size plastic storage containers. I cannot remember the dimensions or manufacturer of which ones I bought but they were much longer than wide and deep enough to stand the cases up and leave plenty of clearance for the separate lid. Bring some CD cases with you to the store so that you can confirm that the container is the one I am describing. I was able to fit standing up all of my 1500 CD collection in five boxes. The containeres were not over $15.00 a piece. I placed bubble rap on the bottom, sides and top and there was no damage to my CDs.. If you are only storing the CDs and not moving them, you will not need bubble rap and can pack them so the spines show. I cannot recommend these plastic boxes enough.

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 10
I bought a bunch of these cheapo mammoth cd wallets that hold like 300-400 cds...3 of them will do the trick and they have their own handles...

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 10
I second the DiscGear solution.

Please be aware that sleeves can stick and/or otherwise damage cd's over time.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Use archival document boxes, like box no. 613-0771 here.

There are plenty of files at the office - we load up document boxes constantly with papers heavier than CDs. Then they go off to storage. We also have to pull boxes out of storage, and most are in great shape 10-15 years out or longer. They stack easily and the side handles help a lot.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by denydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seperated my CD's from the cases and liners also, but I still access them frequently, so I use some of the Discgear cases.

These look really nice. If I still accessed my optical discs frequently these would be my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back