CD rip vs Record rip
Oct 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DmobbJr

New Head-Fier
I will be going back home soon and I wanted to get some of my dads music in the higher cd/record quality than the mp3s I have right now.

What I am wondering is will I get better quality by ripping CDs or records.

From what I understand the records have better quality because of analog vs digital but I am not sure which will be better in the end.

Reason CDs might be better: Whoever created the CD from the master had way better equipment than me and so the recording on the CD will be higher quality than anything I could record.

Reason Record might be better: I could record at a higher sampling rate/accuracy than what is on the CD (I have more than enough storage)

So which will give me a higher quality audio file?

One more thing to note is that my dad has a super nice record player but it might be broken. If it is I will have to use a cheaper (I guess 50-100 dollars) player. Will the answer to my question change depending on which record player I end up using?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Most likely CD's if you're going for accuracy. Definitely SACD's, or DVD's if they are available.

I don't think sampling rate makes a big difference(if audible at all) past 44100 honestly.

And once converted to digital, all you get are the problems that come with vinyl, not the positive aspects of it(well unless you really like the sound signature, which a lot of people do).

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 7
In theory, CDs should be better, but sometimes the vinyl version is better mastered (does not have heavy dynamic compression/limiting and clipping - ironically, as it is the CD format that technically allows for higher dynamic range).

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Most of them are Dead albums so they probably took care mastering them. I sounds like CDs will be better but not for sure so I think ill just try both and see which one I prefer.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 7
I have done lots of both and ripping CDs is so much easier than records.  With CDs, you only need the proper software.  The equipment makes no difference.  Ripping records is a lot of work.  I do it when the CD version is poorly mastered or doesn't exist.  When done properly, a ripped record can sound as good or better than the CD.

Avoid the ripping turntables you see at places like Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond. Those things destroy records.  If you can get your dad's turntable properly serviced, do it. Then get the ART Pro Audio USB Phono Plus. It's a pre-amp with USB out.  

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/turntable_preamps/product/usb_phono_plus-ps/

If you can't fix it, then I recommend the Gemini TT-1100 USB.

http://www.geminidj.com/tt-1100usb

It's a solid player that you can get at any Guitar Center.  Upgrading the cartridge is relatively easy.

The second most important thing about records is cleaning them.  If the record is clean, you won't have to do any post processing.  Record cleaning kits start at $25 but you can put together your own kit for a lot less.

This is what I use:
  1. Microfiber cleaning cloth - I use the plush ones for polishing cars
  2. Cleaning solution - 1 part water, 1 part vodka, couple drops of dish soap.  Store in a spray bottle and shake before using
  3. Nylon bristle brush - I use an old toothbrush
  4. Can of Air
  5. Titebond II Wood Glue - for really filthy records

For editing, I use Audacity.  It's free and available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  The Audacity Wiki has lots of tutorials.  I suggest starting here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_turntables

I hope you find some of this useful.  Good luck! 
atsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Would there be any advantage to using that usb preamp over just plugging the line out from the amp to my mic jack? I believe the amp I am using would be very high quality.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Hooking up stereo equipment to a computer is tricky business.  http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-6450_7-5021407-1.html  PC's onboard audio usually isn't very good and mic input is often amped.  If your computer does have a decent soundcard, then use the amp's line-out and the PC's line-in.  With some sound cards, you can turn the mic-in into a line-in by disabling the mic's amp in the sound card's settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back