CD Player with Warm Signature
Jul 12, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

utarch00

500+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting a new CD player. I have been doing a lot of reading here on the different players. New/used, DVD/CD, etc. Everytime I think that I have decided on one, I find another model that peaks my interest. The models that I have been considering are the Philips 963, Rega Planet original or 2000, Nad C542, Shanling CD-S100 or Music Hall CD-25, and a few others.

In doing my research I can not seem to find much info on the sound signatures of these players. I am looking for a warm player in the up to $500 range. Cheaper is better. It can be new or used, Modded or Unmodded (modded version has to fit in price range), and DVD or CD. My use will be for redbook only. I am not interested in getting into HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, etc, but if a universal or a player that has these capabilities also, that is OK. I know most say that these type of players do not do redbook well. Also , must play CD-Rs. I think that about covers it.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 23
I can not speak for the Philips or the Shanling although the Shanling does have a tube output stage IIRC, but all the other players are what I would consider as having a warm signature.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 23
That is exactly how I would describe the Eastsound CD-E5. Warm and smooth, yet very resolving. You'll have to spend a fair bit more than $500 unless you find one used though.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 23
I will not comment on the others because I have not heard them, but I would personally take a good used Rega Planet before an NAD 542. I feel that the build quality is better, and, the Planets are known for having an analog-type of sound, not unlike the warm sound signature that you are seeking

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 23
At the price point you're considering, you really can't go wrong with any one CDP, IMO.

This kind of advice doesn't get said often, but you should consider the visual/physical aspect of the CDP as well. As in, does the design look good to your eyes? Does it have the physical layout you want? Does it come in the color you prefer? Is the power cable detachable? How does the remote control look, and is the layout intuitive? You know, that kind of stuff. All those are reasons why I went with my Arcam (not just its sound quality, that was just icing on the cake) and ignored others like Rega.
redface.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 23
If I were you I'd look at buying either a tubed CD-player or a tubed DAC.
That way if the sound isn't precisely what you'd like, you can roll the tubes and tweak it until it's what you're after.

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Rega Planets are very warm sounding and available cheap used. They were quite the rage a few years ago.

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 23
How are carver CD decks... anyone have oppinions? They have a couple tube models too I think?

Garrett

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 23
Don't buy the Philips 963SA. The Philips is a bright sounding source, and you will better of buying something else. I think the Musichall CD25.2 should be fine choice, plus you can roll op-amps to suit your need.

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 23
Another alternative would be to get the Philips DVP642 from Circuit City for about $52 delivered. Then you order a Lite DAC-AH for about $162 delivered (from Pacific Valve on a 1st Tuesday of a month to get an $8 discount). Then you get a Blue Jean Cable optical for about $15 delivered. Total about $230 and you got yourself a nice setup.

Later you can mod the Lite DAC-AH as you wish.

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Another alternative would be to get the Philips DVP642 from Circuit City for about $52 delivered. Then you order a Lite DAC-AH for about $162 delivered (from Pacific Valve on a 1st Tuesday of a month to get an $8 discount). Then you get a Blue Jean Cable optical for about $15 delivered. Total about $230 and you got yourself a nice setup.

What do you know about the Philips as a transport?

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 23
Why not spend a little more and have a really good source? Your amp will output what it gets in; bad in = bad out!

For about 800 dollard the new rega apollo suppose to be a very well sounding player with nice body and timbral accuracy.

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 23
Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quote:

That is exactly how I would describe the Eastsound CD-E5. Warm and smooth, yet very resolving. You'll have to spend a fair bit more than $500 unless you find one used though.

philodox,
How does the the Eastsound E3 compare to the E5?

Quote:

Rega Planets are very warm sounding and available cheap used. They were quite the rage a few years ago.

jefemeister,
How do the original Rega Planets compare to the 2000?

Quote:

mrarroyo,
I was looking on Pacific Vavle's website and noticed they have an already modded Lite DAC-AH for $220.

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
How does the the Eastsound E3 compare to the E5?

I've never heard the E3 unfortunately, so I can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back