CD player with small footprint
Dec 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

welchie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm on the hunt for a decent grade small CD Player to use as a source on my night stand with my new Woo WA6. Any thoughts ? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Little Dot has a transport or Shanling has a CDPlayer like that. But if you have an iPod, why not an Onkyo digital dock and a DAC? The Little Dot is about $299 already anyway.

Or you can sift through eBay or garage sales for Midi components from Japanese systems. Before the shelf systems with the DVD carousels in the same chassis as the decoder and amp, they have the CD player/transport and the amp/receiver in separate chassis with speakers. There are lots of new packages like this now, like the JVC one that comes with the wood cone speakers, but of course these are expensive and you'd end up with stuff you don't need.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Virtue Audio Piano M1 CD Player....I absolutely love mine and you can customize the case....

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 17
Wow thanks guys especially eclein. That looks like a beauty !!

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 17

The MiniMax CD player would be a perfect fit under the woo.  It also fit on my nightstand beside my bed.  You should be able to find a used one for around $400.00.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 17
I'd agree that the Cambridge Players sound very good for the low price they ask. I wouldn't consider them to have a small footprint though. 430-440mm wide is standard for hi-fi equipment.

The Cambridge Sonata is a smaller unit although it is being phased out. They should be pretty cheap f you can find one but I can't comment on SQ - it is a lot cheaper than the Woo so is unlikely to do it justice. I know there are a few cheaper models out there. I recently got helped my aunt choose one. She got one from Yamaha, the CD640 I believe, but Teac had quite a few and Project also do a couple.

For SQ in a small space a DAC + ipod dock/network streamer is worth considering.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Just a thought: just how small is the space on your nightstand? Maybe you can just stack the amp and headphone over a standard-size CDPlayer. My headphone's off it but you can see the stand there.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 17
Have a look at the ONKYO INTEC 205 C-705FX2 (S) CD PLAYER, I think this is only available from Japan, there is a seller on EBay. Is small, has analog out and two optical digital outs. Sounds like a great transport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back