CD-player with s/pdif INPUT?
Jun 14, 2007 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

drk

Head-Fier
i was wondering if there are any cd-players with s/pdif input, so that i could use it in two ways:

1) as a stand-alone source that i'd connect to my wharfedale diamond 8.2 pro active studio monitors for cd listening

2) to hook my s/pdif output from my computer to, so i could use the cd-player as a dac for that line (computer would be used for watching dvds and mp3 listening)

the requirements i'd have for it would be good sound quality in the first place, so that means good DAC and so on, and also good build of the mechanism and everything so that it's durable. i'd also need a headphone output from it. with price i could go up to about $800

is there such a thing out there?

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cambridge azur 840C

well, this thing makes me drool, literally, but it's waaaaaaaay more than $800 here where i live (croatia, europe) - close to $2000

anything else?

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
I have 2 different marantz CD recorders (forget model numbers) that have that and excellent SQ to boot.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 11
A used Quad 99 CDP-2 should fit that bill nicely (check Audiogon). I haven't had the pleasure to listen to one, unfortunately.

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used Quad 99 CDP-2 should fit that bill nicely (check Audiogon). I haven't had the pleasure to listen to one, unfortunately.

I've heard one, ace CD player.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 11
stereophile says the variable output on the Quad ain't nothing to write home about, but the fixed output is quite good. plus it's got something like six digital inputs and can read 24/96 signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back