CD player with good sound
Mar 20, 2004 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tjsb

New Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me of a player that sound better than most of the stuff out there.What would be nice is one with bass and treble and no need for a amp.

Thanks for the help

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 17
If there was truly a portable with all the qualities you mention, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. Unfortunatley.... ....and so, I chained to my 120lb rig.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 17
iRiver is decent mp3 CD player creator... not the best quality out there, but it's pretty damn good for a CD player.

Only better quality out there that I know of are vintage players...which do not have EQ... turn to those if you have to have that kind of quality... (you get used to the EQ loss and listening to normal line after a little while)

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 17
some player u could search for sale , and also you can find lot of informations on the board using the search button , are :

some "sony vintage pdcp" (d211 - d303 - d311 - d777 - just to give them names , but they are many... )

Panasonic sl-ct470 / sl-ct570 - fully portable -

Philips az68xx series ( new discovered )

denon 30 / 50 / 100 / 150

All these search will lead you to some of the best sounding pdcp around - sometimes you need to take patience ( days / weeks ) to find them among things on sale or on ebay .

The choice depends on what budget you have got to give it .

Mar 20, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by tjsb
Can anyone tell me of a player that sound better than most of the stuff out there.What would be nice is one with bass and treble and no need for a amp.

Thanks for the help

Does it have to play mp3?

Mar 21, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 17
I am also contemplating between 3 options (at players that can play MP3s):

iPod, Panasonic's SL-CT810, and Sony's D-NE900. Just to ask, in terms of sound quality, which one's better?

Between the PCDPs, I'm personally attracted to Panasonic's offering (partly because I own a Pana
biggrin.gif
), and because of the D. Sound technology offered by Panasonic. It seems that organizing music with the Pana would be easier because of the HighMAT technology.

But the evil side of me keeps telling me to get an iPod instead.
biggrin.gif

Any users of the above 2 PCDPs would like to give their 2 cents?

Thanks a lot!

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 17
A pretty good old school pcdp:

Sony D-25s

Built like a rock.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by SNAG
iPod, Panasonic's SL-CT810, and Sony's D-NE900. Just to ask, in terms of sound quality, which one's better?

Between the PCDPs, I'm personally attracted to Panasonic's offering (partly because I own a Pana
biggrin.gif
), and because of the D. Sound technology offered by Panasonic. It seems that organizing music with the Pana would be easier because of the HighMAT technology.

I've auditioned the CT810 and the NE800 using Senn HD497 headphones, and the CT810 definitely has crisper highs and overall better sound. I would assume that the NE900 wouldn't be dramatically better than the NE800.

The D.Sound technology seems to improve sound quality - to me it sounds extremely clear and detailed, much better than the lower end Panas I've heard so far. But I haven't tried listening to it towards the upper range of the volume control.

HighMAT though is more of a gimmick than something worthwhile - it limits you to 160kbps MP3s and Windows Media Player converts those MP3s beyond that into crappy WMA files before burning it on CD. HighMAT does more harm than good if you're particular about sound quality.

The adverts also state a feature that enhances high frequencies on MP3s, but I find that it causes slight distortion instead, so I switch it off. (On lower bitrate MP3s, the increase in high frequency detail may be worth that increase in distortion though.)

Overall, a great player, though HighMAT is overhyped and the MP3 enhancement feature doesn't work properly.

I have to admit though, the Sony models feature much better cosmetics - the colours are so droolworthy.

An ipod wouldn't be a good choice if you have a large CD collection. Otherwise, if you have all the extra moolah to burn, go for it by all means.

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by tjsb

Thanks for the help

Sony D-555 is about the only one that I can think of that meets this criteria.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 17
Great first post kinchung
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Notorious P.I.G.
Sony D-555 is about the only one that I can think of that meets this criteria.

I disagree, the headphone amp isn't the best out there, and don't even think of using the DBB feature (although the EQ does do a better job)...

For bass, and treble... I think the Philips AZ6832 will score quite highly, although even then, the headphone output isn't all that gutsy...

My vote goes overall to the Sony D211 (or even the D111 for a slightly more balanced / darker sound) for this type of sound - a very 'in ya face' player from the headphone output - even if it doesn't have the best line output, if you don't need MP3...

I'm bowing out of the PCDP scene over easter though, expect one grand finale from me before I depart permanently (yeah, like thats really gonna happen
wink.gif
) to the domain of the full sized units.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 17
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, Duncan please don't leave us..... what shall we do without your great reviews?!?
eek.gif

Edit: On second thought are you leaving because you don't wanna be stuck with the pcdp bug
tongue.gif
or because the audiophile pcdp market is limited only to old pcdps and no new pcdps offer better sound quality??
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

I disagree, the headphone amp isn't the best out there, and don't even think of using the DBB feature (although the EQ does do a better job)...

For bass, and treble... I think the Philips AZ6832 will score quite highly, although even then, the headphone output isn't all that gutsy...

My vote goes overall to the Sony D211 (or even the D111 for a slightly more balanced / darker sound) for this type of sound - a very 'in ya face' player from the headphone output - even if it doesn't have the best line output, if you don't need MP3...

The D-211 is my favorite player, but it doesn't have bass and treble controls...unless I misunderstood the original post.

Duncan, have you heard the DCP-150? The 150 is definitly nipping at the heels of my D-211 for the top stop. It's not as aggressvie, but a great all round player.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 17
Many people consider the Denon DCP-150 to be the best-sounding (albeit overpriced) PCDP. The Optimus/Akai CD3400 used to be the top dog, but I haven't heard anything about it in ages. The various Sonys are good too. But no PCDP never needs an amp, there will always be circumstances where an amp's help is needed. Some do shine without them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back