CD Player vs iPod
Jun 7, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 10
the obvious answer is yes. here's why:: IPod's are mass marketed, they are effective mp3 players, but mp3 sound quality is usually limited. additional constraints are the stock earbuds which aren't that great or comfortable for that matter.

$150 can buy a very good cd player

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 10
The iPod tends to be underestimated. Using a lossless format (or even high-bitrate mp3), an iPod can sound very good out of a line-output (on the dock). It's possible that some CDP's in a low price range would sound better. It's also possible that many CDP's that sell for around $100-$150 used would sound worse.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 10
someone once found a crappy Coby player in a Target store that was supposed to be a giant killer. whatever happened to those PCDPs? some folks even modded it i recall...

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioJunkie
Hi
Would a used CD player ($100-150) sound better than an iPod?

Should you be happy with a vintage SONY that is more luggable than portable and has no anti-shoock - sure! A Sony D-250 / D-25 (S) can drive HD-600s without problem, add Xin's Xinfeed adaptor and you're set. What you will not have is a small, portable, convenient device, but a very good sounding one.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I think hes looking for a home cdp. I just got the Denon DCM-280 but, I won't get it until the end of the week. I'll give you some impressions then vs my H320. I am pretty sure that it will sound better.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Are these easy to find. Would a something like a NAD 502 or Sony SCD-CE775 sound better than an iPod?

The SCD-CE775 should sound better than an iPod, although I haven't compared them directly. The SCD-CE775 actually sounded very competitive with a Benchmark DAC-1 in a friend's speaker rig.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Are these easy to find. Would a something like a NAD 502 or Sony SCD-CE775 sound better than an iPod?

Home CDPs are very likely to sound better than a portable device. Better power supply, no need for miniaturized / compromising components, better output stages... I'd say for the price of an iPod you can buy a good to nice stationary CDP (depending on your choice of iPod
wink.gif
), maybe even very nice if you buy used. What makes the iPod expensive is primarily the harddrive.

It is still a good source assuming you want a "one for all" solution that is also portable, especially if you use lossless files, equip (dare we say pimp) it with a line-out / use the dock with its line-out, maybe an RF- or IR-remote for convenience, and hook it all up to an amp that has a good amount of gain to make up for the lack in output. A stationary CDP of the same price will still be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back