CD player vs iPod sound quality?
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #47 of 53
You guys are a little confused,this is Definitley not for portable use! I'm aware someone wouldn't be able to tell with closed back headphones while on the go. Mid-range open back headphones for at home use only..

We are confused, because you did not explain to us what you are trying to do.  Please listen to Brooko and do what is convenient to you.  A well ripped digital file can sound just as good as a CD.  If you have a lot of CDs and want to go that route, buy a CD player and enjoy it.  It is very difficult in this day and age to find a bad CD player.

More money in the audiophile world does not always mean better quality.  It means a more expensive enclosure or a name that everyone drops on forums like this.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #51 of 53
Ripping CD's to AIFF or ALAC is so much more better than purchasing albums at 256. You will hear a much bigger and better difference from your iPod, atleast I do with my Classic.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #53 of 53
I agree with FiJAAS--buying at 256 is a half-baked way of getting music in today's world.

AAC is a very efficient codec; at 256 kbps it is completely transparent to 99% of individuals. Aye, even so called audiophile golden ears if they actually do a proper double blind test between original and encoded file. Foobar2000 has a plugin to allow you to test this. If you have no desire to keep physical copies around, an iTunes library provides maximum convenience and equivalent sound quality. However, it is often times cheaper to buy cd s from amazon or local used record shops, and I enjoy the ritual of ripping, archiving and tagging my own music. I keep flac as a backup of my discs and that gives me the freedom to encode to whatever format I choose, based on my needs. However iTunes offers an alternative means of enjoying music (again transparent to most no matter the equipment) without the trappings of physical media, I say choose which method works for you without worrying about bogus claims regarding sound quality. UNLESS you can truly pass an abx test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back