CD Player (SOURCE) difference ?
Jun 22, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 33
clarity, and presence... thats what improves the higher up the ladder you go

adding my DAC to my Marantz has done just that, clamped down an added focus onto the music, and also slightly changed the overall tone; made the sound cleaner... more realistic

Don't forget the old addage of diminishing returns though.

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #17 of 33
Hi mikeg,

Nope, I haven't really considered SACD yet. So far, there's a dearth of quality music available on SACD, and I felt the Cary did better on redbook CD than the much-vaunted Sony 777ES player. Not sure it was a fair contest, though, as the Sony is multichannel AND SACD. Still, the Cary sounded better for 2-channel, which is what I'm interested in.

I have 600 CDs and no SACDs, so for me, it doesn't make any sense. I'm with Vert on this one.

You're very right, Duncan, regarding the law of diminishing returns, and I'd also mention the fact that digital technology doesn't stop progressing jsut because I'm happy with my new CD player. Obsoletion is a valid concern that anyone considering a high-priced digital source needs to take into account.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I'll probably wait now until every single CD in this world is replaced with SACDs before getting back into SACDs.

I'm more liberal than vertigo-1
smily_headphones1.gif
, and will make the switch once all new releases are coming out in both SACD and CD formats simultaneously. I don't think the redbook archive will ever be completely translated, just as the vinyl archive has never been completely translated to CD (and can never be, if the master tapes are lost).

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #22 of 33
CD units vary in price and sound considerably.

Some STINK. Some are ok. Then as you get up there, they sound gets "better", but "different" between units, but much better than the average.

But you need MEDIA (CD's) that are recorded great to hear the main differences. Then there are your ears.

My APEX dvd player (for my bedroom system) I use just for TV, as the audio stinks. My SONY 400 CD megachanger sounds ok for most listening. My 5 disc SONY for bedroom sound tolerable.
But for critical listening, I needed a good one, and I have a REGA PLANET, which ain't cheap, but sounds fabulous with a good system and recording.

With any reasonable headphone amp and headphones, directly connect CD players WILL sound different.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 33
Right now I have a Yamaha RX396 Receiver (50x2 Min. Watts) I have my headphones plugged into that running a $129 Pioneer 25 disc changer... If I upgrade to a $500 Yamaha 5-Disc Changer will I hear a difference in sound quality ?

Not going to get a $2000 LINN CD Player but how much of a difference would that make in the above setup over a $500 Yamaha 5-Disc Changer?

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 33
I've just been levered into a new cdp and SACD by fate and impatience. The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 died and I can't stand the wait to get it fixed.

My original plan was to stay with redbook, and save for a Cary 303/200, but the circumstances led to the ordering of a Phillips SACD 1000. That being the case, I've just ordered a bunch of SACDs. Love the one you're with?

From my limited experience, I take it for granted that the source is a critical component.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 33
Just changing from a $130 JVC CDP to my $300 H-K FL8300 made a very noticeable difference.

I still use the JVC in the garage when I'm working on the Low Frequency Boat. Apex 1500 in office and bedroom. Not for serious listening.

Somebody else already said
GIGO

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #26 of 33
Well, I've decided I'm definitely going to upgrade my source sometime.. I'm eyeing the Yamaha CDC775 (5 disc changer) but it's around $300 I think... I don't want to go over $500 U.S. Is there anything better for a 5 disc changer than the Yamaha CDC775 that is under $500.

Jun 23, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Hi mikeg,
Nope, I haven't really considered SACD yet. So far, there's a dearth of quality music available on SACD, and I felt the Cary did better on redbook CD than the much-vaunted Sony 777ES player. Not sure it was a fair contest, though, as the Sony is multichannel AND SACD. Still, the Cary sounded better for 2-channel, which is what I'm interested in.

John
I've heard this said by almost everyone who has done the comparrison so I'm not surprised that you found it, also. The Cary 303/200 and 306/200 were on my list to audition but I had trouble finding them in Dallas--and the Arcam dealer decided to stop carrying the CD23 because they wanted to sell more Linn gear. Frustrating.

If you don't mind, I'd be very curious about the details of your comparison--what qualities you felt the 303/200 really improved from the XA777ES and whether the Sony bested the 303/200 at anything at all. I disagree that it is not a fair comparison because so many people DO tout the XA as an good value for redbook.

For certain the 303 and 306 are aesthetically beautiful players and the reviews have been almost unanimously positive.

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #28 of 33
Hey Kelly,

Briefly, I felt that the 777 sounded good, but in comparison to the 303/200, it sounded a little less musical, a little more "hi-fi". Soundstaging wasn't as expansive, the highs were a little more digital sounding, and the bass was a little leaner (perhaps a little tighter?) The midrange didn't quite have the glow, the palpability, the "rightness" of that put forth by the 303/200. Honestly, I felt the Cary was better than the Sony in all regards, but the differences weren't night-and-day. To be fair, the Sony did sound very clean, but perhaps a little too sterile because of that.

Basically, the 777 drew a little more attention to itself, and consequently, drew my attention away from the music just ever so slightly. Still, very good performance from the Sony, and one can't overlook the fact that it does SACD and multi-channel SACD at that. And, it's built like a tank (if not quite as much so as the 303/200).

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #29 of 33
John
You never disappoint in your detailed responses--most appreciated, as always.

Of late, I've been paying a lot of homage to something some audiophiles call "cohesion." I'd define that is the "connectedness" of the bass to the midbass to the midrange and treble. On much equipment, the bass sounds seperated and creates more of a subwoofer-like feeling. Sometimes the bass can be quite strong and prominent and still feel disconnected.

I wonder if what you're experiencing with the 303/200 is that its bass is more cohesive. Given the other qualities you attributed to the 303, that would make sense to me.

I think, though, that this is also a goal that would be reached by the first level of mods for the XA. These were the type of qualities that I felt benefitted the modded ART DI/O compared to stock.

The build quality is "good enough"--I'm aesthetically pleased with the XA777ES but the Cary units do seem nicer.

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #30 of 33
You know, I forgot to mention this on my previous post, but playing a SACD , the 777 cleaned the Cary's clock. Again, it wasn't night-and-day, but the differences I noted above were present again, this time in favor of the 777. Of course, this was with a SACD that I didn't have with me on CD - jazz with Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin, so the results aren't as empirical. Still, SACD is no joke - there really is a difference.

From a features standpoint, I really liked the knob on the Sony, which lets you switch tracks like you're tuning a radio dial. Very cool. Also, there's no provision for random selection of songs on the Cary!

Kelly, I forgot that you're looking into the Dan Wright mods; you'll have to let me know how that turns out, if you do it. I know others (MarkL and Jude?) really think the mods elevate their Sonys' performance into a different class. The 777 could turn out to be a monster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back