Cd player recommendation
Mar 6, 2020 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lipan03

New Head-Fier
I just recently sold my burson playmate v6 vivid and i am looking to buy a used cd player from this list, any tips or suggestion ?

Primare cd 22
Creek Destiny 1
Arcam cd 82
Musical Fidelity A3.2

Mar 9, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I preffer the sound of a cd player and my budget is only 500 euro's. Using the laptop as a source is over for me, in the future i will buy a good streamer and a good dac but right now i want to stick with a cd player

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Cambridge Audio CXC. Really awesome CD Player. Doesnt have built in DAC, so youll need an external but it really kick ass man.

If you want a built in DAC, i can reccomend the Marantz Cd6006. I cant recc spending more than $500 USD on a cdplayer. Ive heard CD players costing thousands. I wouldnt be able to tell you which one is better becuase im not sure there is. Stay away from used because you dont want an laser that stops reading correctly or maybe stops reading at all.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 9
None. Convert to FLAC files and a digital server/PC/NAS with a DAC.
I was in the same boat as OP, trying to look for a decent CD player to go into my DAC. Options varied quite a bit and I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars on a CD player and most of that cost seemed to go into how good the onboard DAC was. Having just spent $1000+ on a good DAC, it didn't seem right to essentially have to pay for another one.

Settled for a $30 external CD drive and I've just been ripping my CDs to my NAS using freac on OSX. Blazing fast too about five minutes a disc.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 9
In the vintage department, from the golden age of cd player, right now I am totally in love with the PCM58P-J Dac chip. Here you have a good list of all cd players and their DAC http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

The Yamaha CDX 1120 seems to sound extremely good :

There is also the Sony 608ESD, 338 ESD and 228 ESD.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I just recently sold my burson playmate v6 vivid and i am looking to buy a used cd player from this list, any tips or suggestion ?

Primare cd 22
Creek Destiny 1
Arcam cd 82
Musical Fidelity A3.2

From that list I think the last three should be fine as far as the brands go. If you can get an Audiolab 8300CD you get a superb CD player and USB DAC in one package. ESS9018 in that implementation is unbelievably musical.

May 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 9
@ScareDe2: good advice, great cd players.

I think you wanna buy a new one. All four are good cd players and will serve you well. What I did was going tot my local audio dealer and listen to different models. Ending up with a Denon, because I want optical connection to my external DAC. Could not hear differences with various models.

May 24, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 9
CD's... CD players... Anytime when I read cd player I must think of the portable ones in the 90's and those were a huge pain in the butt! Fortunately I never owned one.
This one of them:

df52582a8f04be1d88762a34232b116e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back