CD player recommend/sites
Nov 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT
OK, I have done a little further research. I am looking for a cd player that has a solid DAC built in. one of audiophile quality, but not horribly expensive. Less than 1000 definitely.
Now, if you guys think that getting separate units is better, I would like to know about your experience. maybe I'll start a new thread. hmm.

I suggest the Marantz CD5001 or the newer CD5003 for a basic good-sounding CD player.
Even better is the Sa8001 or newer SA8003 SACD/CD players from Marantz.
I also have Marantz reference-series stuff, but that is oout of your price range, so no models numbers thare to consider.

But, the two I named above are well-known and respected as having excellent internal DACS, and sound VERY good for their prices.

The SA*xxx has a better DAC than the CD5xxx nodels of course, so pay what you can afford -- and also, the headphone-jacks on these units are very good-sounding for the money, and you would generally need a desktop-sized, high-quality external headphone amp to exceed the SQ of their headphone-jacks, though it is *possible* that an exceptional portable headphone amp could equal or exceed the HP-jack on the units.

On My SA8001, I did direct comparisons with several high-quality headphone amps, compared with directly out of the HP-jack, and decided that, even though the dedicated amps give a bit better SQ, I would also be completely satisfied with just using the volume-controlled HP jack on the SA8001. It is amazingly high-quality sound. And owners of the lower-priced CD5xxx sereis also are quite satisfied with their units, too, if you search all their comments on here.

I *personallY* never feel a need for an external DAC, when I have such excellent sound already with the excellent DAC's that Marantz includes in their CD players. The people that but external DAC's have their own reasons for doing so, and that is their money, and their choice.
I think a Marantz CD player would make you very happy.
My 2-cents.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the Marantz sa8001! Having just bought one 2 months ago it is truly a great player. I bought mine from American Theater for $749 and last time I checked they were selling them for $729. Great price for a great player!

At the time of this post, they are now sold-out.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #48 of 50
For thos that have and/or prefer an HDCD player, I suggest the Denon W1500 two-tray HDCD player/recorder.

It has a great internal DAC, and sound really good.
And it has a decent volume-controlled headphone jack, if you needwant it, too.

An added benefit, of course, is that you can record HDCD (or regular) CD's on the recorder side of the unit, including the ability to record from external sources -- I archived my old casette-tapes, and record collection onto CD, and don't have to mess with my tape-player or turntable now, unless I am in the mood for it.
It is well worth the money it costs (around $500 or so).
I will never sell mine.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #49 of 50
High end cd player? Hmmmmm....the usual brands come to mind, Marantz, NAD, Sony, Rega, Rotel, Adcom. NOS can get one a bargain or when a model change is to occur. I'd be tempted to buy used (my Philips LHH1000 2 box system retailed for $4,000 US when new in 1988; I got mine for under a grand rerubished with waranty in 1994. I still use it today and it is phenomenal). My dvd/sacd/cd player (I use it as a SACD player) is by Sony and is quite good. Can't remember the model number (I'm just getting ready to leave work for the day), but used models of its ilk sell for around 300 bucks US on audiogon.

See what is available, ask here, look for reviews, and then buy. I am partial to Marantz (my Philiips is a rebadged Marantz CD 12), Sony has its moments, NAD is solid, Rotel and Adcom are decent, Roksan is very good, Creek is fine. I would want to listen first. I take my time on equipment purchases and usually buiy from a dealer (unless I know what the used component is about having heard it at a friend's).

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back