CD player recommend/sites
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is "red book"?

Normal CD's.. not sure why it's called that.. I never asked. But it means "standard CD".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Boo...io_CD_standard)

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normal CD's.. not sure why it's called that.. I never asked. But it means "standard CD".

Red Book (audio CD standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks nick, you are being really helpful. I'm looking at everything you guys have sent. as far as the red book thing, it seems pretty stupid. I was reading a review of the marantz, and the guy was referring to "red book" stuff like it was a horrible thing. maybe I am misunderstanding him, but he seemed pretty crazy about it.
Stereophile: Marantz SA8001 SACD player

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks nick, you are being really helpful. I'm looking at everything you guys have sent. as far as the red book thing, it seems pretty stupid. I was reading a review of the marantz, and the guy was referring to "red book" stuff like it was a horrible thing. maybe I am misunderstanding him, but he seemed pretty crazy about it.
Stereophile: Marantz SA8001 SACD player

Can you copy/paste what he said?

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you copy/paste what he said?

I may have read it a bit wrong, but that is the fault of his writing. anyway, here is what Jim Austin said.

"There are people in this world, apparently, who claim that "Red Book" CD playback sends them to the hospital. The hospital part may be urban legend, but it's common to hear analog-preferring audiophiles say that "Red Book" gives them headaches. That part is real.

I mean no disrespect—okay, maybe I mean a little disrespect—when I say that I think these people should have a neurological exam, or something, because clearly they have issues, medical or otherwise. Or perhaps they should bury their too-bright speakers, princess-style, under 20 or so eiderdown mattresses. I am no great fan of "Red Book," but it's been years, maybe decades, since I found the format less tolerable than much of the scratchy, abused vinyl on offer in most record stores. I'd rather listen to a 1950s opera performance with Maria Callas on a CD reissue than to one of those burlap-clad original LPs—talk about headaches.

Yet there's no denying that "Red Book" has a sonic character that sets it apart—and not in a good way—from the best of hi-rez, analog, and live performance. At its best, music, whether live or recorded, just floats there in space, a palpable sonic object you can observe at your pleasure. Take me or leave me, it seems to say, as it somehow washes over you and immerses you in the experience. But "Red Book" shouts at you; it forces itself on you in a way that's neither flattering nor pleasant. Stress ensues.

In trying to make our meanings clear, reviewers often overstate the case, and I'm doing that here. Fact is, I get a lot of pleasure from good music recorded on CDs. "Red Book" is a compromised format, but I can live with it. There's a pea under the mattress, but I sleep just fine, thank you very much."

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Marantz SA8001 is a bargain at 899...gives you very good SACD stereo playback as well as red book CD. Makes for great transport if you want to add a DAC later on. The disc transport and chassis on this beast are top notch for the price range.

Peete.

x2 on the Marantz sa8001! Having just bought one 2 months ago it is truly a great player. I bought mine from American Theater for $749 and last time I checked they were selling them for $729. Great price for a great player!

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 50
Wouldn't $1000 be better spent on a cheaper, but good CDP and the rest on a DAC?

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #22 of 50
Another option to further confuse you is the Onkyo DX-7555 which can be had for under $500. There are some favorable reviews on it here as well as on the net.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 50
Whatever player you decide to get, I would recommend you buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

Also, if you get the Marantz (or some other expensive player) I would buy one of the "giant killer" players like the Oppo 980H and compare the two to see if you can really hear the difference. Why spend a grand on a player if it doesn't sound better than a $150 one?

Also, I would highly recommend upgrading speakers/headphones before getting a new player. I have found that changing them makes far more difference than swapping out players.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, if you get the Marantz (or some other expensive player) I would buy one of the "giant killer" players like the Oppo 980H and compare the two to see if you can really hear the difference. Why spend a grand on a player if it doesn't sound better than a $150 one?

I upgraded from the Sony scd ce595 (about $150) to the Marantz sa8001 and it was a significant upgrade! Both in sacd and redbook. The Marantz has got a pretty darn good dac in it!

But...to each his own. That's why this hobby is so much fun!

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 50
The best option is to rip all your CDs to a lossless format, store them on your HD, buy a Logitech Squeezebox, Duet or Transporter and stream your music over a wireless network without a ned for a CDP. This is a cheaper option and leaves you money for tunes or other non-essentials.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #27 of 50
Jul 21, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #29 of 50
as I have been reading more and more, I may indeed be leaning toward the Marantz SA8001. It fits a bit better into my budget, and its seems well liked by most of you, whom I trust. I have read in a few places that this player brings out a lot of detail. If I plan on using high detail cans like k701s or grados, would this end up being too bright? I am inexperienced in these match ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back