CD player or computer as source?
Jul 1, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 12
DAC: Digital to Analog Converter, it converts digital signals to analog. When do you think you will need it?
smily_headphones1.gif
Hints: when your source outputs in a digital format and you want to convert it to analog.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 12
Depends on your "decent sound card" and the "basic CD player".
The differences can be minor/none, up to night and day...
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 12
I do not miss any CD player, that is for sure.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 12
for the pc a sound card with 24-bit quality (e.g x-fi music not x-fi audio) at a cost of 100-120$ is ok for a good sound experience...for a cd player u need a lot more money...

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on your "decent sound card" and the "basic CD player".
The differences can be minor/none, up to night and day...
wink.gif

I totally agree. It also depends how many CD's you have or plans to buy and how the music will make it to the computer. There will always some differences.

Personally, I had better results with the CD player.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 12
I've found that budget wise, running your computer into a decent DAC is the way to go. To beat it with a CD Player you'd have to go up pretty significantly in price. This is not a rule though, just an observation from MY experience. MY experience also has shown me that old CAL CD Players on the used market are a real steal for the price and are hard to beat on a budget.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 12
As I do not want to be tied to the location of my computers -- desktop or laptop -- I run my semi-portable Headroom Micro dac from the digital coaxial out on either a basic Toshiba DVD player or a portable AG DVD player, depending on which of my residential listening locations I happen to currently be in. I find the quality of listening through either my Little Dot MKII or Bottlehead S.E.X. amps to be quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back