cd packaging: digipak vs regular cd jewel cases
Jul 7, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 24
I especially have an aversion to the ones with the ultra snug fitting LP-style sleeves. The very first time you remove your new cd it gets lovely scuff marks.
mad.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 24
There is another form of cardboard CD package that is even worse than digipak -- a digipak at least has a proper tray and teeth to hold the CD, this (probably new) form of package dispense of the tray altogether: the CD is held by a rubber plug that is stuck onto the inner fold (I wish I could show you photos, but I don't have a camera) -- an example of such packaging is the CD Band of Gypsies by the Romanian folk band Taraf de Haidouks (released by Nonesuch).

The problem with this package -- apart from its flimsiness -- is that the rubber plug can get stuck on the fold in front of it, defacing the artwork.

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
Is this new packaging going to replace plastic jewel cases?

I sure hope not.
Digipaks are fine for stuff that sets in the cd rack all the time. They aren't very good for taking anywhere. I wouldn't dare leave one in my car.

Jul 9, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 24
In case fo metal related releases if theres digipack release thereusualy is also normal jewelcase versio and digipack is limited edition and usually has bigger booklet or extra song, basicly digipacks seem to be "collector editions", not made for use. There is something more horrible, Warners DVD flipper cases..

Jul 9, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Don't confuse digipak with "album replica" package where CD is in a slot or sleeve and can be easliy scuffed when used. Digipak has plastic tray just like jewel case versions, but uses cardboard case/box.

I really like digipaks especially the tri-fold versions which give you much superior graphics to jewel case. If you are very rough with Cds or expose them to harsh elements then durability of digipak can be a problem.

I really appreciate great graphic packaging, and if CD artwork sucks I will design my own with Paint Shop Pro.

For instance "if" I was to buy Metallica "st anger" I would redesign that lame artwork which looks like some band member did it. (I have no plans to buy this btw)

Not all digipacks have plastic inside, Vitalogy from Pearl Jam was one of the very firsts and is all cardboad everywhere, Metallica St Anger same ******** again, some of them has a nice artwork but you know what? what it get damaged or worn by the regular use, the only thing you can do is put the whole thing in the garbage, and get a new one, I would like to see where you can get an out of print or a very hard to find album, at least the jewel case is a very easy replaceable solution.....IMO digipack sucks....I hope the tendency disapear with the practical use of the regular jewel cases...but I agree that if the record companies made both editions (like the STP 4) and you may choose whichever you like that is fine....
BTW I have Van Halen 3 in a tin can, very nice artwork and if any of you guys has the regular edition and want to trade it just let me know I want ot get rid of the annoying can ASAP...

Jul 9, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KJ869
In case fo metal related releases if theres digipack release thereusualy is also normal jewelcase versio and digipack is limited edition and usually has bigger booklet or extra song, basicly digipacks seem to be "collector editions", not made for use. There is something more horrible, Warners DVD flipper cases..

Those Warner cases should die die die!
mad.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #23 of 24
plainsong, you should do s i do, sacrifice 2e or something on Amarui case from Anttila, and but the disc in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back