cd packaging: digipak vs regular cd jewel cases
Jul 6, 2003 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
Do the new digipaks that many cds are now be sold in hold up well compaired to the old jewel case packing? What's with the new packaging anyway? Is it just that cardboard is cheaper than plastic and many companies are useing cheaper packaging in order to save money during manufacturing?

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 24
I think digipaks are a sales gimmick.
They appear to be scratched easily, and the scratches are on the artwork rather than on some replaceable plastic cover. I don't like that very well.
I have also noticed that some digipaks fit in my cd racks and some only slide in most of the way.

I've got a couple that are very cleverly designed. I like the ease of getting the booklets out over jewel cases.

I am much more careful with digipaks than jewel cases, I don't think they will hold up as well aesthetically. They don't break, so functionally they may last longer, but they will look bad.

I prefer jewel cases only because I can replace the case if it gets scratched or broken, and the artwork stays looking new.

Jul 6, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

What's a digipak? Anyone have a pic to post? Just saw a box of Pink Floyd's Pulse CD set, is that a digipak?

I think Tom's talking about the cardboard gatefold packages.

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 24
I have one 2 disc digipak that is a tri-fold. The middle section has a slot near the bottom that the info booklet slips into. When the didipak is folded up and inserted into my cd rack the booklet slips out partway and when I try to take the cd out of the rack it gets hung up on the part of the booklet sticking out. Bugs me.

That's my only complaint about digipaks. What I really hate is a 2 disc set in one of the old fashioned double jewel cases. Takes up way too much room.

MJ

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 24
I have a few CDs in the digipaks and I really don't like them. They don't fit as well in my CD rack and they just don't seem very durable. Regular CD jewel cases are much easier to deal with and much more easily replaceable without losing the packaging. And some digipaks, like the one for NIN - The Fragile, are non-standard sized too.

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Here is a picture from Digipak website

HansonHighRes.jpg

Cardboard cd cases that come in several configurations.

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 24
i actually don't mind em that much so long as the folding design isn't too off-the-wall. i've broken so many plastic jewel cases while taking off the plastic wrap it's not funny...
mad.gif

but the jewel cases seem more economical. didn't environmentalists get mad when the very first cd's came out in cardboard cases?

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 24
Digipack sucks...just an example: On the last Metallica, all what I had opened were scratched (the CD), not a big loss anyway, but if this tendency continues, in a couple of years there will be a real nightmare to find a CD wihtout marks or scratches in the market...

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 24
Thx for the pic, these things are quite annoying, if only for the fact that when you are handling dozens(or hundreds, thousands, whatever) of identical polystyrene cases, a cardboard one just throws you off - it flops open when it shouldn't, bulges where it shouldn't, etc.

Polypropylene, polycarbonate, and other suitable polymers that are far superior to the standard polystyrene will be ignored because they cost a penny in bulk rather than a tenth of a penny.

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 24
This might sound like some kind of comspiracy theory but maybe the record companies are aware of the fact that many people don't like digipaks. It might push people away from buying cd's in attempt to replace them with another format. The record companies could push dvd audio formats and then have something new they could sell at a higher price. Then again it could be just a gimick that will disappear soon. Maybe??

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 24
Don't confuse digipak with "album replica" package where CD is in a slot or sleeve and can be easliy scuffed when used. Digipak has plastic tray just like jewel case versions, but uses cardboard case/box.

I really like digipaks especially the tri-fold versions which give you much superior graphics to jewel case. If you are very rough with Cds or expose them to harsh elements then durability of digipak can be a problem.

I really appreciate great graphic packaging, and if CD artwork sucks I will design my own with Paint Shop Pro.

For instance "if" I was to buy Metallica "st anger" I would redesign that lame artwork which looks like some band member did it. (I have no plans to buy this btw)

Jul 6, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 24
Out of my whole CD collection, I only have one CD that is contained on a package like that...

...That is from a few years back... So I guess that it could've been trialled in the UK, but rejected??

Jul 6, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 24
I hate Digipaks -- too easily damaged. Jewel cases all the way, with me.

That said, I really like custom artwork, such as that used by Constellation Records (GYBE, et al). And there is the occasional cool Digipak, such as Pretentious by Vince Clarke/Martin Ware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back