CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,556 of 3,770
sorry im still talking about yesterday. after the mod and some burn in, the lyra is sounding good through a UA3 connected to pc.

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #3,558 of 3,770
I just found a first look video on the PLA13. So the floodgates on the reviews should be opening soon hopefully.

Not sad to hear: V shaped, bassy, not shouty, non-peaky treble with good extension and good note weight. Also CRA like with slightly backed off treble.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #3,559 of 3,770
I just found a first look video on the PLA13. So the floodgates on the reviews should be opening soon hopefully.

Not sad to hear: V shaped, bassy, not shouty, non-peaky treble with good extension and good note weight. Also CRA like with slightly backed off treble.
Manage to create extended CRA like treble but softer with good note weight... WITH PLANARS
To note, planars treble is pretty finicky to tune. Hifiman 400 series evolve on smoothing the treble section through multiple iteration.
Yeah, KZ/CCA do overtime tuning this thing.

He noted that the tech and clarity still under Dioko.
so i guess that drivers limitations and subbass fun affect that aspect.
A more relaxed Planars...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #3,560 of 3,770
Manage to create extended CRA like treble but softer with good note weight... WITH PLANARS
To note, planars treble is pretty finicky to tune. Hifiman 400 series evolve on smoothing the treble section through multiple iteration.
Yeah, KZ/CCA do overtime tuning this thing.

He noted that the tech and clarity still under Dioko.
so i guess that drivers limitations and subbass fun affect that aspect.
A more relaxed Planars...
Still tracking my PLA13 from AE. They've cleared customs, so I should have them by the weekend. :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,564 of 3,770
OMG, watched the video for over 5 minutes and he has yet to really say anything about the damn earphone!

I am taking this with a pinch of salt. I think he and Cinacle have an axe to grind.
Not sure of the point. You mean they they both have an axe to grind with KZ so they are gonna be negative. He said good stuff about KZ and CCA in the earlier part of the video till 5:19 when I couldn't take it anymore. Seems he liked the AS16 pro. I guess he would've bashed that one if he had an axe to grind. Or I just misunderstood what you meant.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,565 of 3,770
OMG, watched the video for over 5 minutes and he has yet to really say anything about the damn earphone!

Not sure of the point. You mean they they both have an axe to grind with KZ so they are gonna be negative. He said good stuff about KZ and CCA in the earlier part of the video till 5:19 when I couldn't take it anymore. Seems he liked the AS16 pro. I guess he would've bashed that one if he had an axe to grind. Or I just misunderstood what you meant.
Yes I think he and Cinacle have an axe to grind with kz. I found the review bizarre to say the least. I was interested to see what kz made of their new planar driver. this diatribe didn't do much of anything. I find Paul wasabi more reasonable. Less emotive. Vortex reviews are fine work too. Level headed reviewers. More about the headphones than themselves.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #3,566 of 3,770
Yes I think he and Cinacle have an axe to grind with kz. I found the review bizarre to say the least. I was interested to see what kz made of their new planar driver. this diatribe didn't do much of anything. I find Paul wasabi more reasonable. Less emotive. Vortex reviews are fine work too. Level headed reviewers. More about the headphones than themselves.

Similarly HBB delivered a really harsh rebuke of the MUSE HiFi that was well beyond what seemed appropriate to me. I don’t know that “axe to grind” is accurate, but there’s some pretty obvious bias going on from time to time, whether organic or not.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,567 of 3,770
Thanks for the kind words. :wink:

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #3,568 of 3,770

No, he didn't like it. It was the most negative AS16 Pro review. He even said that KZ/CCA is being left behind.

My feeling? He is trying to kill the hype of every KZ/CCA meaningful release.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,569 of 3,770
Got the CCA PLA13 this afternoon, so straight out of the box.

It is pretty subdued in appearance, the glossy black tends to downplay the white text
Plastic nozzle and no metal grille
It's warm
Bass is subjectively less dominant than expected from graph (still getting into basshead territory but sub-bass dominant)
V shaped without aggressive highs
Well extended at both ends
Pina gain is not a disaster
Tone is good
Reminds me of AS16 pro with a bit more kick in the bottom end
Doesn't compete with P1 Max technically.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,570 of 3,770
Got the CCA PLA13 this afternoon, so straight out of the box.

It is pretty subdued in appearance, the glossy black tends to downplay the white text
Plastic nozzle and no metal grille
It's warm
Bass is subjectively less dominant than expected from graph (still getting into basshead territory but sub-bass dominant)
V shaped without aggressive highs
Well extended at both ends
Pina gain is not a disaster
Tone is good
Reminds me of AS16 pro with a bit more kick in the bottom end
Doesn't compete with P1 Max technically.
Paper / nylon damper on nozzle / behind grill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back