CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,316 of 3,770
Tried the CRA and couldn't keep listening when tracks with a lot of drums and high hats came up, they sound so accentuated and sharp that it hurts my ears. I have to turn the volume so far down for them to become bearable that the rest of the music becomes much too silent. Also, the timbre seems distinctly artificial and the vocals sound rasping to me. Great technicalities for the price and excellent slam though. All in all nevertheless even at the price not something i would recommend. Just my opinion and how i hear them, though.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #3,317 of 3,770
Tried the CRA and couldn't keep listening when tracks with a lot of drums and high hats came up, they sound so accentuated and sharp that it hurts my ears. I have to turn the volume so far down for them to become bearable that the rest of the music becomes much too silent. Also, the timbre seems distinctly artificial and the vocals sound rasping to me. Great technicalities for the price and excellent slam though. All in all nevertheless even at the price not something i would recommend. Just my opinion and how i hear them, though.
I thought something very similar when I first used them. It's now a couple of weeks since I bought them and I find that the sound signature is a lot more even throughout - to the point where I've actually thought the treble was a little subdues. But individual mileage always varies.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,318 of 3,770
Definitely one of my criticisms of the stock CRA. Consider trying the nozzle damper mod, i find that it tames the 5khz peak pretty well.

An overnight burn in helps to take the edge off a little bit but to get the full potential you'd want to mod it. I just reverted my mod and the edge is definitely still there after 100+ hours.

I'm not sure how my mod compares to Rikudogoku's 500 mesh + sony general foam mod but it really helped tame the upper treble without affecting anything else. I cut an alcohol swab into a rectangular piece and wrap it around a needle. Then once its in the nozzle, move the needle in a circular motion until the swab adheres to the walls of the nozzle while leaving a space in the middle.
20220118_143542.jpg

20220118_143621.jpg

This mod was inspired by the FDX1 nozzles which tame the upper treble as shown by this graph.
graph(2).png

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,319 of 3,770
Im waiting my CRA…..Strange….some people say CRA is great OTB, and some are sayn its hard to listen…….very controversial! Very curious if CRA can over-throne my personal king DQ6….

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3,320 of 3,770
Im waiting my CRA…..Strange….some people say CRA is great OTB, and some are sayn its hard to listen…….very controversial! Very curious if CRA can over-throne my personal king DQ6….

CCA CRA for it's price is a steal. There are better IEMs in the world but not for $15. Don't expect a $1000 IEM and you will appreciate what amazing value the CRA is.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #3,321 of 3,770
Mates, Check out my review on CCA CRA HERE.

20220122_130317.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #3,322 of 3,770
I
CCA CRA for it's price is a steal. There are better IEMs in the world but not for $15. Don't expect a $1000 IEM and you will appreciate what amazing value the CRA is.

I hve never had better than dq6, so my expectations are definitely not on the 1000$ side 😂

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,323 of 3,770
I once have lots of hope for Heart Mirror that might beat my GK10 but no, GK10 (eq) beat Heart Mirror in all department except timbre. Sad. Obviously just don't expect them to be better than 50$ let alone 100$ 1000$

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #3,324 of 3,770
I once have lots of hope for Heart Mirror that might beat my GK10 but no, GK10 (eq) beat Heart Mirror in all department except timbre. Sad. Obviously don't expect them to be better than 50$ set let alone 100$ 1000$

I love the HM for its stellar technicalities in classical music and accuracy. As far as enjoyment? ... I also prefer GK10 for nearly everything else. Once EQ'd to taste the mids are reference grade to my ear, and the bottom end has gotten better with a lot of play time. The treble is a bit delicate in it's delivery but I've come to appreciate. It's just very fiddly to get setup and tuned right.

GK80 are on sale now at Penon Audio, an iteration on GK10. I picked up a pair of those and will probably skip the next few KZ releases.

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,325 of 3,770
I once have lots of hope for Heart Mirror that might beat my GK10 but no, GK10 (eq) beat Heart Mirror in all department except timbre. Sad. Obviously just don't expect them to be better than 50$ let alone 100$ 1000$
Me too. I like the Heart Mirror but I got a very good copy of the G10 and I prefer it to the HM. I won't go for the G80 because my G10 is so good.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #3,326 of 3,770
Was listening to CCA CRA tonight. Still can't believe how good they sound. I was on Spotify listening to my Liked music and was suggested this:

The song reminded me of this:

Really diggin both on the CRA right now. CRA is a crazy good set, imho. It's meshing with my music library and sonic tastes very well. A steal for the price and sound quality. I bought a balanced cable for it and I can't be happier.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #3,329 of 3,770
I've had my CCA CRA's for a couple of days now and I'm just blown away by them. How did they get that sound out of this thing.
Whatever they did to the tuner, whether the send him on spa trip or locked him up in a room with the CRA driver and some tuning equipment and no human contact to see what comes out, I don't know. What ever it was, it worked. CCA (and by extension KZ) just raised the bar for a "budget" IEM by a lot.

Now it's not perfect, that is to be expected for this price and it certainly can't compete with a $1000 IEM like the promotions say, but with a $100 IEM. That it just might.
When it comes to my preferred genres hard rock and metal, it's just amazing. Even the DQ6 which was my go to cheap metal IEM, can't do metal this good. That said they're no slouch at any other genre either. The technical performance is pretty good, especially for the price. It has nice and clean sound, soundstage is quite large and imaging is good. While the separation and layering isn't amazing, it's good enough. Despite being a more treble focused IEM the bass is satisfying and strikes a good balance with the treble but the mids suffer a little as a result.

I just find myself loving this IEM every time I use it, even now I've been spoiled for the last few months with the Timeless and Hana 2021, it holds up. The 5K peak doesn't disturb me, hell I kinda like it. Don't however think that the CRA is on the same level as the Hana 2021 or the Timeless, they humble the CRA very quickly. But you can switch from them to the CRA and not be disappointed.

That said I can get that this IEM is not for everyone, I'm a treble head and just love what the CRA does but I can understand that it's to spicy of a treble for others. Nor will the mids satisfy everyone but I never liked thick mids anyway. And being pretty good at the technical side + being clean sounding, means it doesn't hide any flaws a recording has like others at this price often will.

But for the €9,50 I payed for this, I'm definitely not disappointed.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3,330 of 3,770
Is the CRA cable ok, or to get some 4/8 cores update? If yes pure copper or silver plated?

PS of course not going to spent for cable more than the Iems 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back