CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #91 of 3,770
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #92 of 3,770
Mar 4, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #95 of 3,770
The C16's ability to dig out tiny details in the music is presenting interesting issues for me.
That is, any changes in ear tips, DAP or music played makes a big difference.

For example, the same flac song on Fiio E10k sounded very different on LG G6. Much warmer on E10k while more open and leaner on G6.
Or, having slightly lean, balanced FR on supplied ear tips, but losing lots of bass & hearing trebly noises (not music) I thought I couldn't hear anymore on foam tips.

I guess it will be fun for people with lots of ear tips and DAPs to play with.
But less fun for people who just wants to just plug-and-play (Well, me I guess).

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #96 of 3,770
The C16's ability to dig out tiny details in the music is presenting interesting issues for me.
That is, any changes in ear tips, DAP or music played makes a big difference.

For example, the same flac song on Fiio E10k sounded very different on LG G6. Much warmer on E10k while more open and leaner on G6.
Or, having slightly lean, balanced FR on supplied ear tips, but losing lots of bass & hearing trebly noises (not music) I thought I couldn't hear anymore on foam tips.

I guess it will be fun for people with lots of ear tips and DAPs to play with.
But less fun for people who just wants to just plug-and-play (Well, me I guess).

There in lies the balance. Some people are micro detail heads that want extreme clarity. But this comes at a cost for other people, bringing out every flaw in their music and source (such as streaming to their phone). For those people, a smoother, more forgiving headphone will probably be much more enjoyable.

I think there’s an assumption amongst those new to the hobby that the former is automatically “best”, when that is not always the case.

It’s soooo important to carefully evaluate many factors- the intended use, what genres, what music formats, what sources, what listening environment, etc.

I often run into a lot of IT clients that want me to build them a $5k monster PC - 32GB ram, $1k video card, crazy specs, and fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. All because they saw some YouTube videos, read some websites, etc.

Then I ask them what they’re planning on using the computer for, and they tell me “checking email and Facebook, looking at photos of our grandkids, printing documents, Amazon shopping, surfing websites”.

Facepalm

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #97 of 3,770
I often run into a lot of IT clients that want me to build them a $5k monster PC - 32GB ram, $1k video card, crazy specs, and fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. All because they saw some YouTube videos, read some websites, etc. I ask what they’ planning on using it for, and they tell me “checking email and Facebook, looking at photos of our grandkids, printing documents, Amazon shopping, surfing websites”.
I hear you, man! Was in similar work years again.
How many times have we heard, "The Best!" or "Everything!" in reply to our query, "What do you need?"?
Mostly, they end up with an ultra lightweight $1k notebook, months later.

I guess C16 would probably represent "The Best" in budget IEMs for now, but it's fussy(or fun) to deal with. I am leaning more towards AS10 as a less fussy option for myself.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #98 of 3,770
And I guess that also confirms that KZ is going to release an AS16 model.

I didn't even notice the AS16 text on the PCB, that is interesting.

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #99 of 3,770
There in lies the balance. Some people are micro detail heads that want extreme clarity. But this comes at a cost for other people, bringing out every flaw in their music and source (such as streaming to their phone). For those people, a smoother, more forgiving headphone will probably be much more enjoyable.

I think there’s an assumption amongst those new to the hobby that the former is automatically “best”, when that is not always the case.

It’s soooo important to carefully evaluate many factors- the intended use, what genres, what music formats, what sources, what listening environment, etc.

I am a micro detail person, but I also want natural/neutral sound, as much as possible. I also know, that IF the drivers and the IEM design (crossover, acoustic properties of the shell) is/are really good, you can get EVERY DETAIL, with the most "flat" (harman-target for example) tuning, without having to "emphasize" certain frequencies. The information is already in the music. It's all up to the gear to "show/play" it. Everything else when it comes to tuning, is about "enhancing" the sound-stage and presentation (closed studio sound, versus lively and open sound), but even that can be a problem, because some music is mastered flat (studio), while other music is already mastered "lively" (to put it simply), and that creates a problem. That's why I personally prefer "flat/neutral" tuning (harman), vs. "colorized" signatures. "Colorized" works for some, and "flat" works for everything, which is important to me, because i listen to literally EVERYTHING. :o2smile:

I often run into a lot of IT clients that want me to build them a $5k monster PC - 32GB ram, $1k video card, crazy specs, and fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. All because they saw some YouTube videos, read some websites, etc. I ask what they’ planning on using it for, and they tell me “checking email and Facebook, looking at photos of our grandkids, printing documents, Amazon shopping, surfing websites”.

Facepalm

Yeah, I get that. :ksc75smile: In my experience though, it's more like:

"- I want to play the latest games on max settings 60fps, my budget is $600, build me a new computer!"

This world definitely "lacks balance", that's for sure. :ksc75smile:

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #100 of 3,770
My CCA C16 arrived. Initial impressions: tuned similar to Moondrop Kanas, but not that good, matured sound, imaging is also not as impressive. Not so huge differences (more like preferences) at last, but for this moment I prefer DM6 and Kanas over C16.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #101 of 3,770
My CCA C16 arrived. Initial impressions: tuned similar to Moondrop Kanas, but not that good, matured sound, imaging is also not as impressive. Not so huge differences at last, but for this moment I prefer DM6 and Kanas over C16.
Thanks for sharing! I have DM6 and my CCA C16 and Kanas Moondrop Pro are OTW...

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #102 of 3,770
CCA pros: largest soundstage from those three,
cons: do everything, but nothing perfect

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #104 of 3,770
Nothing is. Everything has some flaw, something that could be better, etc.
I can agree with that. I'll do some more listenings. :)

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #105 of 3,770

I often run into a lot of IT clients that want me to build them a $5k monster PC - 32GB ram, $1k video card, crazy specs, and fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. All because they saw some YouTube videos, read some websites, etc.

Then I ask them what they’re planning on using the computer for, and they tell me “checking email and Facebook, looking at photos of our grandkids, printing documents, Amazon shopping, surfing websites”.

Facepalm
In defense of my 32gb RAM I *did* occasionally clip the 16gb ceiling and hiccup Windows into shaking free cached RAM (I've since since dropped the backup program I suspect was being even more of a hog under the table than above it), it was a *crazy* good price at the time and still pretty great for now, and I am a fairly avid gamer. >->

On a more topical note, while they're no C16s I'm still quite enjoying my C10s. :) Stock tips work fine in the KZ ZSN I picked up to try out the IEM form factor (if only I'd waited a little bit I could have just gone straight to the C10, ah well I have a solid disposable backup could be worse) but the angle/depth/weight is just different enough the right ear wasn't feeling as stable as I'd like (normal earbuds don't work in either ear, but I can get Bose's flanged silicone tips to fall out of my right ear with only a little effort where their non-flanged ones are rock solid). Guessed right/close enough on Spiral Dots sizing and they help a lot, as do the small size from the cheapo silicone tips I picked up at a local Daiso store. Need to fiddle back and forth twixt them to compare sound, if the Spiral Dots don't end up sounding better than at least the "dollar store" Daiso ones I shall be mildly irked, but only mildly as the Spiral Dots feel way sturdier.

Between the Spiral Dots and the iFi Ear Buddy I picked up cheap on eBay I've now spent as much on extras as I did on the C10, oops? :p (The Audioengine D3 I use on the road to strip out GPU feedback whine predates either IEM so totally doesn't count. <-< )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back