CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #3,736 of 3,770
20221111_191017.jpg

Tried cable rolling with the FAAEAL Hibiscus and the 784 core KZ upgrade cable on the PLA.

Pairing with the hibiscus is suboptimal imo. Vocals are way too forward now. Highs are maintained. Perceived bass is lowered due to the forwardness of the mids necessitating a drop in volume.

Overall I think it makes it sound nasally.

The KZ upgrade cable is more palatable and somewhat better sounding but I need more time to do an A/B/X and make sure its not placebo.

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,739 of 3,770
Don't forget the placebo-placebo effect. If you can convince people that an observed effect is a placebo then they will refuse to believe it is true! Oops, I hear a bell, must go feed the dog!:nerd:
Those making a claim have the burden of evidence though....lol

If you claim something made a difference why should anyone take you seriously or care if you have no evidence to back it up?

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #3,740 of 3,770
Those making a claim have the burden of evidence though....lol

If you claim something made a difference why should anyone take you seriously or care if you have no evidence to back it up?
That strangely echoes my opinion regarding election deniers and the presence of nazis in Ukraine. Not sure if that's a safe opinion to express. After all, being accused of persecuting hypocrites will get your house burnt down!:rolling_eyes:

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #3,741 of 3,770
Yet here you are making assertions based off of what science shows are unmeasurable differences lol
See how output impedance affects iem frequency response young grasshopper.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #3,743 of 3,770
You have evidence showing a measurable difference in FR due to different iem cables output impedance?

If so I cant wait to see it! You should publish the research...!
graph - 2022-11-13T160630.379.png
1668352026968.png

This is only applied when the transducer has a low impedance and an uneven impedance curve.

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,745 of 3,770
Interesting. Is that not within the normal variation of the measurments you take? What do you do to prevent or minimize that when taking measurements?
Measurement variation on the same setup mainly affects where the peaks and dips are (X-axis) depending on how deep or shallow the iem is inserted, this is minimized by aiming to have the coupler peak at 8k. Rather than affecting the overall gain (Y-axis).

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,746 of 3,770
My CCA CRA IEM arrived yesterday, firstly they look & feel very well made, as well as the cable being nice.

Fit was an issue - I seem to have problems with larger shelled IEM's & getting deeper insertion. Coming from Shure & Westone IEM's, it's a little different. I actually threw them in the bin, before realising i had some double flange tips from Spin Fit. Tried them on & they fit fine. Sound quality wise, they seem decent, will give them more time to test out.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #3,747 of 3,770
HiFri review on CCA CXS

CCA CXS review.

The CCA CXS is one massively over-performing iem hiding in a quirky looking alien shell and offering a great value for money for anyone looking for great technical value on a budget.
Price: $19.99
Link:
https://www.kztws.com/products/cca-cxs
Accessories:
Copper cable, 3 sets of starline tips (S,M,L)
Packaging:
Typical CCA/KZ packaging. Plain white box with standard accessories.
Specs:
Impedance: 16ohm
Sensitivity: 109db ±3db
Frequency response: 20-40000Hz
Cable length: 120cm ±5cm

CCA CXS Pro's:
Great balanced tuning
Smooth timbre
Good resolution.
Good bass quality.
Good dynamics.
Good mid-range quality.
Good macro-details.
Good imaging.
Good layering.
Excellent build quality.
Detachable cable.
CCA CXS con's:
Moisture buildup (this is a personal issue but other people might have the same issue.)
Dip in the mids can make some vocal a little recessed however the imaging and presentation make up for it.

Overview:
Cable used: silver plated cable.
Eartips used: stock starlines.
Sources used: Qudelix 5k, Ear Studio ES100MKii.
The CXS is the latest single DD budget offering from CCA.
It features a newly developed 10mm dual cavity DD with a small gap between the coil and magnets.
Also features 6 axis CNC machined shell with open back cavity design.
The iems are very well built like a tank, so much so that you could break a pane of glass with them or bust a toe if you dropped one on them.
They have a funky design with a hole shaped cutout that goes through the iem and a open mesh back to allow the driver to breathe.
Fit:
The fit is very pleasant. They are weighty but not too heavy and do not fall out of the ears. They stay in nicely and despite the cutout in the iem they still isolate very well.
Listening tests:
Burn-in time: 50hrs
The iems present very well, layering is fantastic, I can hear every detail floating around my head, every instrument has its place and positioning is fantastic! Stage is great, width is not extremely wide but is wide enough to satisfy my listening preferences and instrument placement and imaging are fantastic for the price.
Bass:
Bass is not the tightest ive heard but for $20 is still superior to any iem ive heard in the price range and it still has plenty of impact, plenty of dive and is well separated from the rest of the mix.
Mids:
The vocal are slightly tucked back and emphasis is given to the bass and treble "the u shape tuning" but because of the excellent technicalities, the vocals rest nicely in their place and have plenty of room separate from the instruments and the rest of the mix.
Treble:
Treble is good, clean, crisp with its upper emphasis more around the 12-13khz mark it seems with the majority focus in the mid to lower treble.
Air is sufficient although my personal preference is more air in the higher region i.e. 15khz.
There is no harshness, no sharpness, nothing unpleasant.
Listening tracks:

In summary:
I cannot do any comparisons to other iems in the price range because of the nature of how I teardown iems so I will leave the comparisons to other members of the community but as far as I see it the CCA CXS is a technical monster hiding in a budget iems skin.
The imaging, layering, separation of instruments are all killer. Resolution is above average for the price range and for a U shaped tuned iem the FR is well balanced, vocals are a little buried but still present nicely and timbre is pleasant for a sub $20 iem. All in all the CXS is a fantastic package for anyone looking for a iem with good technicalities.
xxx

Nov 19, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #3,748 of 3,770
HiFri review on CCA CXS
No comparison with the cra/cra+?

FR seems to indicate its similar ish except for the boosted mids and rolled off treble.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #3,749 of 3,770
No comparison with the cra/cra+?

FR seems to indicate its similar ish except for the boosted mids and rolled off treble.
I dont think he have it or still have it.

That guy buy something to try and to harvest its innards.
He is a iem DIY-er that test many2 drivers. so when he praised CXS driver, thats a high praise for the "legendary" Driver of cca
---

found short comparison comment, in comparison to lyra
"Technicalities are 10x on the CXS and the timbre is much smoother, no sibilance like the Lyra."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back