CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 25, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,421 of 3,770
The CRA+ pairs very well with Spiral Dots.

I'm impressed with the CRA+'s need for very little EQ to be enjoyable. I'm running the CRA+ on my new DAC without Peace and Parametric EQ for testing, and I can see the CRA+ being an easy recommendation for a daily driver where PEQ isn't available or if you don't use EQ in general.
BGVP W-01, which are also wide bore tips, have worked very well for me. Unlike Spiraldots they hold better on narrow nozles.

May 26, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #3,422 of 3,770
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cca-cra-universal-in-ear-monitor.25857/reviews#review-28556
DSC_0145.JPG

May 26, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,423 of 3,770
I'm waiting on CCA C10, it was on sale for the same price as CRA. Warmer than KZ ZS10 Pro and less aggressive top end. Sounds like my preferred tuning. Only KZ/CCA I can ever recall Crin saying something good about (other than CRA). I figure I can use it as a beater if I'm out of the house or pass it on to a friend. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #3,424 of 3,770
I'm waiting on CCA C10, it was on sale for the same price as CRA. Warmer than KZ ZS10 Pro and less aggressive top end. Sounds like my preferred tuning. Only KZ/CCA I can ever recall Crin saying something good about (other than CRA). I figure I can use it as a beater if I'm out of the house or pass it on to a friend. :L3000:

They are nice set even to date, have great treble extension, and not so aggressive upper mids (for KZ/CCA IEMs). Biggest flaws for me is too much upper and mid bass, and not so good dynamic driver compared to modern KZ / CCA (DQ6, CRA)

May 26, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3,425 of 3,770
They are nice set even to date, have great treble extension, and not so aggressive upper mids (for KZ/CCA IEMs). Biggest flaws for me is too much upper and mid bass, and not so good dynamic driver compared to modern KZ / CCA (DQ6, CRA)

I admit to being fascinated by the technology that had gone into IEMs, so I am occasionally buying older models (classic or obscure) to compare them to more recent releases.
Usually when they get heavily discounted. The CVJ Mirror was so good I ordered the CSA to try out. A lot of very good IEMs fly under the radar, they are fun to find. We have a fair sprinkling of snobs in this hobby who are quick to use terms like "basshead", "Immature" and "non-audiophile" to disparage anything that doesn't fit their own preference. Everybody listens through their own unique ears to music they find enjoyable. I even ordered KZ ASF when they were giving it away for $11, rolled off treble and forward mid-bass, might actually be fun. It's a warm all BA set, not exactly common. If we ever have any audio conventions locally , I would be tempted to wear those, playing off an SR25 with the stock cable!:L3000:

May 27, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,426 of 3,770
I bought the CCA CRA and I really enjoy them. I was afraid that the bass would be too heavy but it´s juuuust under that limit and they are great fun. Highly recommend it for EDM and rock. Not for neutral listening in any genre, but as I said, great fun for EDM and rock! I´m very pleasantly surprised. I have not yet evaluated the mic-quality. I´ve EQ:d them a bit in the upper frequencies since I´m not a teenager anymore. These must be a great recommendation for most people asking for a good budget-IEM since my impression is that most people like a bit bass-heavy IEM/Headphones and these combine it with greater clarity/detail retreival than many other a bit more expensive alternatives. A reminder is that I as I said EQd the higher frequencies a bit in correlation with my age and the loss of as good higher frequency-hearing as younger people generally have. They don't seem to fatigue me either.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #3,427 of 3,770
I bought the CCA CRA and I really enjoy them. I was afraid that the bass would be too heavy but it´s juuuust under that limit and they are great fun. Highly recommend it for EDM and rock. Not for neutral listening in any genre, but as I said, great fun for EDM and rock! I´m very pleasantly surprised. I have not yet evaluated the mic-quality. I´ve EQ:d them a bit in the upper frequencies since I´m not a teenager anymore. These must be a great recommendation for most people asking for a good budget-IEM since my impression is that most people like a bit bass-heavy IEM/Headphones and these combine it with greater clarity/detail retreival than many other a bit more expensive alternatives. A reminder is that I as I said EQd the higher frequencies a bit in correlation with my age and the loss of as good higher frequency-hearing as younger people generally have. They don't seem to fatigue me either.

I've given away a couple of sets of the CRA to friends. They are a way better introduction to IEMs than something under $10. I could have got myself a Lea for that. If I did the same thing with CRA+, I could have bought an SG-01 OVA or TRN TA1 Max. Less likely to happen. That's where I think CCA/KZ lost the plot, they gained their market share by offering good introductory products. People then stayed within that ecosystem (QDC connectors helped too). Realizing that other offerings in the $50-100 market were offering better options was a hurdle. So part of the return on investment, by selling the CRA at a cheap price, was sales of other products. Figuring that the CRA was actually competing with higher priced products and repricing the successor higher, without increasing build quality to cater to a market with higher expectations, was a mistake. The KZ ZES offered a big step up with it's metal shell but hasn't been as well received (inclusion of an electret after the CRN debacle didn't help). I am really hoping that the KZ ESX has had the same tuning effort put into it as the EDA, EDX Ultra and CRA+. All of these are now having to compete with Moondrop Chu at the same price point. Their real entry level options are now KZ EDX pro, KZ EDS and original CCA CRA (yes, there are cheaper models, but not at the same level of SQ). :L3000:

May 28, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #3,428 of 3,770
All of these are now having to compete with Moondrop Chu at the same price point.

Interestingly the more I listen to the CRA+ the more I think it performs better across the board than the Chu. Now, obviously it should given the price difference but still, there is some very stiff competition, in the past month or so, at this end of the market.

May 30, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #3,429 of 3,770
Today I received delivery of my CCA CRA and CRA+. Having never heard either I naturally bought both, because at these prices why wouldn't you? Rules must be obeyed so they'll be allowed to burn-in before judgement is rendered... but my initial reaction ran along the lines of "yeah, I can fap to this".

They're both impressive. CRA+ especially. I've no idea how non-Chinese IEM manufacturers are supposed to compete with this.

May 30, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #3,430 of 3,770
I have listened to the CCA-CRA+ more than any IEM since they arrived.

These are great. Not great off the iPhone dongle, as the iPhone dongle doesn’t take advantage of the higher extension.

With my WA8 and Sony 507 wow. I really love these IEMs.

Haha.

Single DD cohesion. Fun. Musical. A bit bright and some female vocals suffer but otherwise I am so happy with these.

May 30, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #3,431 of 3,770
I have listened to the CCA-CRA+ more than any IEM since they arrived.

These are great. Not great off the iPhone dongle, as the iPhone dongle doesn’t take advantage of the higher extension.

With my WA8 and Sony 507 wow. I really love these IEMs.

Haha.

Single DD cohesion. Fun. Musical. A bit bright and some female vocals suffer but otherwise I am so happy with these.
Dita should buy a bunch of these. Then remove the drivers, stuff them into titanium enclosures & tack $2000 onto the price. Folks here wouldn't bat an eyelid.

May 31, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #3,432 of 3,770
Honestly these IEMs have kinda made me disillusioned with the hobby. For $60 or whatever I have sound that I paid $1,500 for. 🤫

May 31, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #3,433 of 3,770
Today I received delivery of my CCA CRA and CRA+. Having never heard either I naturally bought both, because at these prices why wouldn't you? Rules must be obeyed so they'll be allowed to burn-in before judgement is rendered... but my initial reaction ran along the lines of "yeah, I can fap to this".

They're both impressive. CRA+ especially. I've no idea how non-Chinese IEM manufacturers are supposed to compete with this.
Happy for you! In which way/ways are the CCA CRA+ better/more impressive? :)

May 31, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #3,434 of 3,770
Happy for you! In which way/ways are the CCA CRA+ better/more impressive? :)
I plan to let both sets burn-in over a few days before critical evaluation, and need to test them with a variety of sources to see how they respond to amplification.

Essentially the CRA & CRA+ are tuned differently and I initially prefer the more mature tuning of the CRA+.

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #3,435 of 3,770
wow. I just got the Moondrop Chu in. These sound really good.

For me it is:
#1 CCA-CRA+
#2 Moondrop Chu
#3 CCA-CRA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back