CB Radio help
Feb 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I am kind of intrigued by CB radios. I am considering purchasing a very entry level model for installation in my car. I have a few questions though.

1. Are they as widely used as they were in the past? I'm not really looking into transmitting, but rather listening to truckers and such for traffic info, speed traps, etc. while on the road (eavesdropping).

2. Do I honestly need an enormous antenna to get decent reception? My car is very small and I would like to avoid installing a huge antenna. An interior or very small one would be ideal for me (although I'm sure signal strength would suffer).

3. How difficult is it to learn? After installation, is it pretty much just pick/scan channels and listen, or is there more to it?

4. For what I'm looking for, would I be able to get by with a non-hardwired model (i.e. handheld)? That way if it turns out to be way over my head or uninteresting to me I would be able to just sell the handheld without wasting money or time on installation/removal.

I probably have many more questions but that's all I can think of right now. Thanks for any info!

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 7
1. Not really, no. Truckers do use them still, but mostly they use cellphones now. Depends where you live though.

2. You really do need an outside antenna to transmit with any power, but since most truckers run amplifiers you can probably get away with a small antenna for just listening.

3. There are only 40? channels I think. Isn't much to it, about as hard as using a television or radio.

4. You could use a hand held with a mag-mount antenna on your car, but the small antenna on the handheld (a rubber-duck it's called) won't give you very good reception. You can get dash mount CB of reasonable quality for little money, an ok quality handheld will cost you more.

Really though, CB is dead, as is amateur radio. I would get a scanner or a GPS with traffic info (heck, get both) if you want to know what is going on down the road.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
CB isnt as popular as it once was. Ham Radio also isnt as popular since cellphones and computer/internet took over.
You might not need a huge antenna, but the bigger the better.
For the house, a Fiberglass stick is fine. Antron 99 / Shakespear BigStick type.
For the car, get a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount antenna.

I use a 102" SS Whip on a 2 magnet mount on the roof of my car, with a Cobra 148gtl radio modded, and a 350w linear bilateral amp, and mobile D-104 mic.

For Ham, i use a Yaesu with a MFJ roller inductor antenna tuner, and a 135 ft dipole.
And a 2 meter yaesu in the car with a 5/8 wave magnetic mount antenna.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Its so unpopular that nobody, not even the OP answered this post yet. lol

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Haha yeah..
wink.gif

The responses here kind of convinced me to forget about buying a CB radio. Oh well, now to find something else to spend my money on!

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Buy the CB Radio!!! When youre 10-8, let me know what channel youre on and we can do some skip!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, im 10-7 for now.......73's !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back