Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,441 of 2,138
My RU7 came in today. First few songs in and it was a worth while purchase! First of all fixes the noise I had with my RU6 on my phone and laptop. Put it on DSD256 whereas I preferred NOS on my RU6. Increased resolution and separation as expected. It sounds much more smooth and weighty than I was expecting losing the real R2R sound of the RU6. So to my ears, the RU7 is different but still a direct upgrade.
The balanced output drives my Atrium to damn near desktop levels. I finally like the sound of the Verite Closed on a dongle though still not a great use case. Sounds pretty good on the Caldera as well but not good enough to use for an extended session when I know what those are truly capable of.

I bought this because this mainly because it sounded like my RU6 and Dragonfly cobalt were holding back my 64 audio Nios. The RU7 delivers. No more congestion. I don't see my other dongles getting much use any time soon. Only complaint is it tinkers a bit too well. Some songs sounding better on different DSD settings is something I'm going to have to ignore or it will drive me crazy but at least the difference is often subtle.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,442 of 2,138
Just ordered the RU7, will be a nice complement to the RU6.
Hope the Baldr will benefit from the extra power on the 4.4 out.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,444 of 2,138
Have been using the RU7 with my iphone 13 pro max for a while now and have noticed that the battery percentage of the phone seems to affect the performance of the dongle. I've found that when the battery percentage drops to somewhere between 50-60%, the overall sound level especially the low end, drops a bit. Once the battery percentage drops to somewhere between 30-40%, playback begins to stutter when using the dongle at DSD128. Was wondering if this happens with Android phones as well.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #1,445 of 2,138
Have been using the RU7 with my iphone 13 pro max for a while now and have noticed that the battery percentage of the phone seems to affect the performance of the dongle. I've found that when the battery percentage drops to somewhere between 50-60%, the overall sound level especially the low end, drops a bit. Once the battery percentage drops to somewhere between 30-40%, playback begins to stutter when using the dongle at DSD128. Was wondering if this happens with Android phones as well.
I think it will be for every battery device, since when the battery runs low, its voltage is dropped, and the output voltage to the dongle is also reduced consequently

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #1,446 of 2,138
I think it will be for every battery device, since when the battery runs low, its voltage is dropped, and the output voltage to the dongle is also reduced consequently
In that case, I hope there's going to be a bigger battery in the upcoming new iphone...

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,448 of 2,138
In that case, I hope there's going to be a bigger battery in the upcoming new iphone...
I have a Google Pixel, but when I'm using my RU7 at my desk, my phone is on a wireless charging pad so I don't have to worry about power drain.

This Anker Magsafe battery pack let's you charge your iPhone wirelessly so it frees up the lightning port for the RU7. It's also nice since you can take it with you when you leave the house.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804143752686.html

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,449 of 2,138
I'm looking to get this dongle and pair it with some Final Audio E5000s.

If anyone has that combo could you kindly give me your thoughts.

The E5000 is one of the hardest IEMs to drive due to the low sensitivity and on high gain 4.4mm, the RU7 can power it decently (probably not as good as a dedicated desktop amp). When underpowered, the E5000 sounds bloated and one-noted in the bass (not a volume issue).

Having said that, the RU7 and E5000 are perhaps not the best in synergy, as both are warmish. Warm + warm will make everything sound veiled and too thick tonally, but YMMV.

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #1,451 of 2,138
What portable amp/dac would you recommend. Would the ifi go bar be a better pairing. I can get it easily here in the UK. Thanks again.
I don't know if it holds true for the E5000, but the E3000 has lazy bass on the RU7, it sounds a bit better with the Hidizs DH80S, and a lot better on the Topping G5. E3000 lacks treble on everything though, I've read that the E5000 fixes that.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #1,453 of 2,138
How does the Ru7 work with iPhones? Have there been many issues reported?

I got a iFi Go Bar yesterday and it does not work with my iPhone XR nor my wife’s 11Pro via lightning nor camera adapter. I am looking for a solution, and the Ru7 was my second choice but now I am kind of gun shy.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,454 of 2,138
Hey guys, I'm comparing the new RU7 to RU6. Unfortunately RU7 produces some discharging noises (or something like crackling) when pausing music or other sounds. RU6 doesn't do that. What could be the problem? Running both on Linux. Same problem on Android cellphone. Do I need to burn-in RU7?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,455 of 2,138
How does the Ru7 work with iPhones? Have there been many issues reported?

I got a iFi Go Bar yesterday and it does not work with my iPhone XR nor my wife’s 11Pro via lightning nor camera adapter. I am looking for a solution, and the Ru7 was my second choice but now I am kind of gun shy.

I have the go bar gold edition and it works flawlessly on my iPad Pro with USB-C directly. I imagine if you have a newer iPhone with a USB-C it should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back