Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #1,351 of 2,217
Does RU7 lineout sound quality outperform dedicated dacs in the $200-300 range?
In what regard would you be querying outperformance? The RU7 is not exactly a fully linear robo DAC and you'd be sacrificing significant connectivity options compared with standalone desktop DACs at that price range.

I use mine as a LO to my amp since I enjoy its unique sound signature but I don't think it would ever replace the full-time duties of a standalone DAC

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #1,352 of 2,217
Anyone else, particularly those using this as a desktop amp with a windows PC, finding that the RU7 will miss the first half second or so on a track change? or any sudden sound really - even the left/right windows audio test I get the last note because it seems like it has a brief wake-up delay. I did a quick search here but didn't find any mention of it.

I've looked this up and many point to PCs putting USB ports into a low-power mode when it think they're not in use, but I don't get this behaviour with the JDS Element 3, I've only noticed it since using the RU7 (tried on both an on-board USB port and powered USB hub, Windows power settings have the USB sleep disabled). My guess is the Cayin goes into a 'sleep' state when there's no audio and takes that fraction of a second to wake back up. It's a bit annoying though, I can quick skip back and forth through tracks and miss the first half-full second on most occasions. Changing between DSD modes doesn't appear to alleviate it and both LO and PO do it.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #1,353 of 2,217
Anyone else, particularly those using this as a desktop amp with a windows PC, finding that the RU7 will miss the first half second or so on a track change? or any sudden sound really - even the left/right windows audio test I get the last note because it seems like it has a brief wake-up delay. I did a quick search here but didn't find any mention of it.

I've looked this up and many point to PCs putting USB ports into a low-power mode when it think they're not in use, but I don't get this behaviour with the JDS Element 3, I've only noticed it since using the RU7 (tried on both an on-board USB port and powered USB hub, Windows power settings have the USB sleep disabled). My guess is the Cayin goes into a 'sleep' state when there's no audio and takes that fraction of a second to wake back up. It's a bit annoying though, I can quick skip back and forth through tracks and miss the first half-full second on most occasions. Changing between DSD modes doesn't appear to alleviate it and both LO and PO do it.
I had already talked about it on this thread, it's something given by the specification of the dac not by a sleeping mode... The problem lies in the "all to DSD" conversion, but it only happens on the first track or on track change. I think it's bearable if you don't change tracks often mainly because of how the RU7 sounds. :wink:

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,354 of 2,217
I had already talked about it on this thread, it's something given by the specification of the dac not by a sleeping mode... The problem lies in the "all to DSD" conversion, but it only happens on the first track or on track change. I think it's bearable if you don't change tracks often mainly because of how the RU7 sounds. :wink:
Thanks for the reply and explanation, I had thought I'd noticed it even when letting tracks play together (not skipping) but perhaps less frequently (perhaps how Deezer queues up tracks has some effect on this also). Would need to test it out again when I have time.

Either way, I'd agree it's a small annoyance that is tolerable in comparison to how this device sounds (I'm still regularly wowed by how tracks open up compared to my ESS DAC).

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,355 of 2,217
Thanks for the reply and explanation, I had thought I'd noticed it even when letting tracks play together (not skipping) but perhaps less frequently (perhaps how Deezer queues up tracks has some effect on this also). Would need to test it out again when I have time.

Either way, I'd agree it's a small annoyance that is tolerable in comparison to how this device sounds (I'm still regularly wowed by how tracks open up compared to my ESS DAC).
If you listen to a full album you'll only notice it on the first track... and if you listen well there's even a very tiny clickings sound at times... (which also exists on the RU6). While instead the half second of silence on the RU6 doesn't manifest itself... but apart from this, listening to Jimmy Sax with the RU7 is incredible!!!

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,356 of 2,217
A little step further

RU7 line Out jack 3,5mm 1,2 Volt rms
Art Clean Box Pro jack 3,5mm IN
Art Clean Box Pro dual XLR 3 pin OUT balanced with volume preamplification (+21 dBu) over 4 Volt rms for channel
Cayin iHA-6 XLR balanced IN

Sound with Monoprice AMT is my Finish Line.
Stunning Sound

ART is professional equipment balancer preamplification unit.

clean pulito.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #1,358 of 2,217
I got the RU7 for my laptop mainly since I moved over to 4.4 on all my IEM's and headphones. Also, my previous dongle dacs did not play well with the Andromeda (probably due to impedance mismatch). The RU7, so far, has been a great sounding device...but I am wondering if the sound difference between DSD64/128/256 is actually due to increased sampling or if there are other filters being applied. If DSD64 is already 64x the sampling of standard CD, why would it be warmer? And why would 128x CD have more defined edges? As far as I know, all of these should be beyond the limits of human perception if sampling was the only thing that changed.

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #1,362 of 2,217
I realize this is very much apples to oranges - but I'm curious if there's anyone who has the RU7 and also the Denafrips Ares and how those compare sound-wise. Particularly in the soundstage department - I'm wondering if the Ares is still worth checking out in a desktop setup if I already have (and love) the RU7.

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,363 of 2,217
I’ve had ares🔝 but the key here is amplification. Overall - ares with tubes - Darkvoice 336se sounded more intimate. But with more bass. All in all it’s hard to say - the setup would be quite different - starting from power supply, cables, software you use to play tunes. Then headphone, cables, Pads(very important!) all in all - it’s close to 0 a chance that the whole chain will be 100% identical and also, your ears - they’re unique and have their own “tuning” that’s how you perceive and hear music.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,365 of 2,217
A little step further

RU7 line Out jack 3,5mm 1,2 Volt rms
Art Clean Box Pro jack 3,5mm IN
Art Clean Box Pro dual XLR 3 pin OUT balanced with volume preamplification (+21 dBu) over 4 Volt rms for channel
Cayin iHA-6 XLR balanced IN

Sound with Monoprice AMT is my Finish Line.
Stunning Sound

ART is professional equipment balancer preamplification unit.

clean pulito.jpg
I'm using my RU7 with my trusty MT-601 as a preamp too. The amp being the pure class Aune X7s.

Soundstage and imaging have been improved even further in this configuration without any sound degradation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back