Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 14, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,006 of 2,148
This on PC. I rarely use my iPhone (except for testing) as a transport
That is odd make sure USB selective settings are turned off. It’s possible that it could be cutting power to the dongle.

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,008 of 2,148
@YanaMJ
If you really want a dispassionate opinion... I'd start thinking about selling the dap, but not to buy a dongle, rather (from the signature) what you really need is a good iem... it's useless to fill up with dac/dap and not have no level iem.
Already a Penon 10th anniversary could be an IEM that can make you earn a lot... really a lot. :wink:
A no level iem? What is even going on here

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,009 of 2,148
1. You can charge/listen simultaneously so the device does not drain as quick
2. It doesn't....The phone will charge, the dongle does not need a charge!
Except every charger worth it's salt at this point IS a fast/super fast charger exceeding the specs of the splitter...

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,010 of 2,148
It is when I upsample. Makes no sense to down sample a DSD file
Apologies I misread. I'm still unsure if whether you can upsample a DSD file. As far as I know, DSD can't be manipulated in any way, that's why filters and EQ don't affect DSD. But again, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,011 of 2,148
Received my unit today, it's great.

Can someone smart explain to me the benefits of DSD over PCM and if the "All to: DSDXXX" setting always on or if it can be turned off?

I'm not well-versed in this. Thanks in advance.

Maybe our previous discussion HERE can explain some of your concerns.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 14, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,014 of 2,148
Quick first impressions of the RU7.

It's easier for me to share my impressions in relation to the RU6 (in NOS, I don't care for the OS mode) so, pardon the simplistic analogy but:

RU6 in NOS = Vinyl
RU7 in DSD 64 = CD

"Brighter" than the RU6 wouldn't be accurate, the RU7 is faster, more revealing all the while remaining very smooth. They really are complementary and, for those not necessarily into DAPs, you could get both and have two different flavours allowing one to get the synergy they're looking for with different IEMs.

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,015 of 2,148
But the point of the splitter is……..to help hold the charge of your phone whilst using the ru7
So it stresses even more the smartphone battery which recharges while discharging ...

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,016 of 2,148
But the point of the splitter is……..to help hold the charge of your phone whilst using the ru7
And unless you have a "slow" charger or laptop, or gaming console etc... there's no practical purpose given the fact it does not work with fast chargers.

It's just a bandaid for extended listening sessions on a phone as a primary playback method. Especially on the go running a mobile battery to the splitter.

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #1,018 of 2,148
Honeymoon phase with the RU7 continues!

Some more listening notes:
  • Compared to my more linear sources, the RU7 appears to round out the overall sound signature without turning things into mud or veiling whatever you're listening to;
  • The RU7 appears to increase the width and depth of the soundstage in my IEMs to a subtle (yet noticeable) degree;
  • I am in love with its synergy with the Andromeda 2019, which some might say would lead to an overly warm and veiled sound signature but I find it results in a very unique IEM listening experience wherein it feels I'm watching a live performance on an intimate stage on some tracks;
  • Stepping through DSD 64, 128 and 256 presents subtle differences but basically appears to increase resolution at the cost of some of the warmth and analogue-ness of the sound but is welcome for those who wish to bridge the gap between their sources if they're not used to more novel implementation such as the RU7;
  • LO appears to work really well, output to a Topping A90 provides little issues with volume headroom and I don't have to crank the knob (and potentially introduce noise or distortion) note being that I do not have any particularly hard to drive gear;
  • Love the leather case included, the little magnets however were useless in my use case; and
  • As previously mentioned noise floor is not great on the BAL output to sensitive IEMs compared to things such as the DC04Pro and is noticeable in sparsely produced tracks or in silence, however, this is likely not noticeable in more relaxed listening conditions.
Overall, I am not having immediate buyer's remorse and am thoroughly enjoying my time so far. I had originally thought I wanted a maximally transparent and linear source chain but the RU7 seems to be bucking that idea and now I'm curious to try out the RU6!

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #1,019 of 2,148
@YanaMJ
If you really want a dispassionate opinion... I'd start thinking about selling the dap, but not to buy a dongle, rather (from the signature) what you really need is a good iem... it's useless to fill up with dac/dap and not have no level iem.
Already a Penon 10th anniversary could be an IEM that can make you earn a lot... really a lot. :wink:
Agree 100% with this statment and going in further i have just finished burning my Penon 10th AE and they are a Phenominal monitor at "any" price and like Polky74 says? Sell a DAP or a couple of dongles(which might be hard because looking at your Sig you seem to have a fetish for😜) no sorry i was only joking👍
Jokes aside, you would get SO MUCH more enjoyment pairing the 10th AE with any one of those dongles than buying another one to use with your current iem's!
Iv been of the board for a couple of weeks due to illness but if you are intrested in the Penon 10th AE i will be putting up a short review of them on the Penon thread in the next week or so and also comparing them to the MEST MK2 which beleive it or not the 10th AE outperforme's in "most" aspects!
But yes,definatly think about getting yourself at least one really good monitor and i think you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of those dongles you already own and will probably think twice about picking up another one👍

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,020 of 2,148
The RU6 is designed around a 24-bit R-2R DAC circuit, it is PCM only by design, the Digital Audio Bridge in RU6 will convert DSD to 24 Bit/384kHz PCM before feeding the digital audio signal to the DAC circuit. For more detail on the R-2R DAC. please refer to the "24Bit Discrete R-2R Resistor Ladder DAC" section in the opening post of RU6 thread.

The RU7 adopts a completely different DAC design, the 1-bit DAC circuit will decode DSD signal natively, but the Digital Audio Bridge will convert PCM to DSD64 or DSD128 or DSD256 before feeding the digital audio signal to the DAC circuit. For more detail on the 1-bit DAC. please refer to the "Fully Balanced 1-Bit DAC architecture" section in the opening post of the RU7 thread.
Soo,
as I understand R2R the value for PCM is in having a 1 to 1 between resistor and each sample bit for D-A conversion, gives a unique character to the sound.
However if you are converting all PCM to DSD before doing D-A conversion you don't have that, its a 1 bit only conversion.
Not a bad idea as DSD up conversion eliminates some recalcitrant digital artifacts if not already done in your player.
The RU6 is designed around a 24-bit R-2R DAC circuit, it is PCM only by design, the Digital Audio Bridge in RU6 will convert DSD to 24 Bit/384kHz PCM before feeding the digital audio signal to the DAC circuit. For more detail on the R-2R DAC. please refer to the "24Bit Discrete R-2R Resistor Ladder DAC" section in the opening post of RU6 thread.

The RU7 adopts a completely different DAC design, the 1-bit DAC circuit will decode DSD signal natively, but the Digital Audio Bridge will convert PCM to DSD64 or DSD128 or DSD256 before feeding the digital audio signal to the DAC circuit. For more detail on the 1-bit DAC. please refer to the "Fully Balanced 1-Bit DAC architecture" section in the opening post of the RU7 thread.
got it

RU6 = PCM based for final DA conversion
RU7 = DSD based for final DA conversion

So very different DACs
If one uses HQP DSD upsampling, what DSD rate is needed to avoid secondary up-sampling by the RU7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back