Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 13, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #961 of 2,148
Regrettably I will sit on my hands for the RU7 as it does not provide external battery power, needed for full size cans and to minimize battery drain on iPhone.
Get one of these for stationary use :wink:

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1350761.html

1. When the TC28i Pro adapter is connected with the charger or power bank, only iPhone will be charged, but NOT the dongle.

2. The TC28i Pro can NOT work with the quick charger. If the spec of the charger or power bank exceeds 5V/1A, it can NOT make iPhone charged when connecting with the TC28i Pro.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #962 of 2,148

1. When the TC28i Pro adapter is connected with the charger or power bank, only iPhone will be charged, but NOT the dongle.

2. The TC28i Pro can NOT work with the quick charger. If the spec of the charger or power bank exceeds 5V/1A, it can NOT make iPhone charged when connecting with the TC28i Pro.
I have that, its a poor solution.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #966 of 2,148
1. You can charge/listen simultaneously so the device does not drain as quick
2. It doesn't....The phone will charge, the dongle does not need a charge!
A dongle is limited in its ability to drive cans by the host devices battery power, adding a secondary external battery improves duration,
not wattage. A battery powered DAC with larger battery improves design constraints, transient power reserve and
allows less efficient cans to be used.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #967 of 2,148
A dongle is limited in its ability to drive cans by the host devices battery power, adding a secondary external battery improves duration,
not wattage. A battery powered DAC with larger battery improves design constraints, transient power reserve and
Why not opt for a Mojo 2 in this case? It's not THAT much bigger/more expensive.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #968 of 2,148
I think you need to re-read the RU7's specs in all honesty

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #969 of 2,148

One thing I didn't understand though... do you think there is a greater degradation of the battery by using these devices continuously? Is it always better to wait half an hour and recharge your phone normally or rely on these adapters in your opinion?

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #971 of 2,148
Yeah, but its not R2R. Original Mojo FPGA can be a bit of a sledgehammer in the bass, R2R tends to emphasize bass texture more which I appreciate as an
ex tuba player
Maybe look into a small R2R DAP (believe there are some options on the market now, like HiBy RS2).

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #972 of 2,148
Yeah, but its not R2R. Original Mojo FPGA can be a bit of a sledgehammer in the bass, R2R tends to emphasize bass texture more which I appreciate as an
ex tuba player
I don’t think you’re really going to better a Mojo 2 if you want to drive bigger headphones.
Yes it’s bigger and weighs a bit more than a dongle.
The only other thing that does a good job and is smaller with a battery is the IFI Go Blu.

I have tried most of the dongles available and settled on a Ibasso DC04 , IFI Go Blu and Chord Mojo 2.

If you like the sound of the R2R dac and want more power try a Vorzuge Pure portable amplifier.
Outstandingly good amp that just happens to be portable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #973 of 2,148
I don’t think you’re really going to better a Mojo 2 if you want to drive bigger headphones.
Yes it’s bigger and weighs a bit more than a dongle.
The only other thing that does a good job and is smaller with a battery is the IFI Go Blu.

I have tried most of the dongles available and settled on a Ibasso DC04 , IFI Go Blu and Chord Mojo 2.

If you like the sound of the R2R dac and want more power try a Vorzuge Pure portable amplifier.
Outstandingly good amp that just happens to be portable.
If you want to drive demanding headphones from a “dongle” also consider the Topping G5. I think it provides 1200mA into a 32 ohm load, and supports not only wired but also Bluetooth connectivity. But, its size does stretch the term “dongle” quite a bit. For IEMs there really is no reason to use it over a regular dongle such as the RU7 or a more compact BT capable device such as the BTR7, but if full sized cans need to be driven, the G5 should make the short list for consideration.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #974 of 2,148
However I find the RU7 more a sidegrade than an upgrade compared to the RU6... and I still can't explain why it heats up a lot with the pc (low gain - DSD128 - Volume 40)

RU7 is warmer than RU6 when driven at its full potential because:
  • RU7 phone amplifier is a parallel dual amplifier while RU6 is non-parallel (a simple phone amplifier with unity gain negative phase Op-Amp to facilitate a balanced driver). These are completely different circuit designs that can deliver more power and significantly improved current capacity, and high-current amplifiers are warmer in general.
  • The All-to-DSD feature, especially at the DSD128 and DSD256 settings, will generate more heat energy than the NOS/OS feature of RU6, the latter is primarily a software-based feature.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #975 of 2,148
RU7 is warmer than RU6 when driven at its full potential because:
  • RU7 phone amplifier is a parallel dual amplifier while RU6 is non-parallel (a simple phone amplifier with unity gain negative phase Op-Amp to facilitate a balanced driver). These are completely different circuit designs that can deliver more power and significantly improved current capacity, and high-current amplifiers are warmer in general.
  • The All-to-DSD feature, especially at the DSD128 and DSD256 settings, will generate more heat energy than the NOS/OS feature of RU6, the latter is primarily a software-based feature.
Thank you for the reply... the important thing is therefore that everything is normal... you know how it is I didn't want to melt it down the first week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back