Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #2,101 of 2,133
It is the gold plated casing that is inside the RU7 4.4mm female plug. It is thin and is susceptible to cracking. My first one cracked on both sides and could be pulled out. My current RU7 just cracked and now there is a piece rattling inside the unit. It took a fair bit of finagling to actually get my Effect Audio cable plug out. I was quite concerned for a bit.

Not anymore. I will not be buying a 3rd, this is an issue with the how it is constructed unfortunately.
I believe it's the poor built quality 😔

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,103 of 2,133
Is there a dongle that has better 4.4mm plug construction? L&P? I'm afraid to branch out and find similar results.
That I'm not too sure. I only have 2 dongle so far Cayin RU7 and Hiby FC6 but I seldom use. Mostly listening to my Xduoo XD05 Pro (with ROHM DAC & MUSES02 op-amps) these days.

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #2,104 of 2,133
Anyone had any luck finding a case for ru6/7 with a clip ?

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #2,105 of 2,133
Does anyone have a sense of how widespread this quality issue is with the 4.4mm plug? I keep hearing positive things about RU7 (with strong recommendations) from folks who had never heard of these quality issues, and while I am concerned as a prospective buyer, it certainly is not everyone's experience. Just trying to get a sense is it a very recent production issue maybe?

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,106 of 2,133
Does anyone have a sense of how widespread this quality issue is with the 4.4mm plug? I keep hearing positive things about RU7 (with strong recommendations) from folks who had never heard of these quality issues, and while I am concerned as a prospective buyer, it certainly is not everyone's experience. Just trying to get a sense is it a very recent production issue maybe?
No statistics I know of but my own RU7 has absolutely no quality issues. It is in use since last June and I plug/unplug many different 4.4mm cables very often as I use it as a DAC with its balanced Line-Out at home and with several IEMs on-the-go.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #2,107 of 2,133

I bought my Cayin RU7 around end May last year (I think it should be one of the pioneer batches).

Can't vouch for the later batches, but I review IEMs, and the Cayin RU7 is one of my staple sources used for evaluation (both 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm outputs). During testing, I probably disconnect and connect around 5 - 10x per review on the RU7. I also use the RU7 at least twice a week for general music listening too, and haven't faced any issues thus far (touch wood).

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #2,109 of 2,133
I have had my fare share of issues with RU7. The only thing cayin is good at is the sound - everything else is just garbage lol. The fact that a $280 dongle don't support Windows is absurd.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #2,110 of 2,133
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,112 of 2,133
Hope it's not blasphemy to ask this question here, but given the quality issues many are experiencing (I know many/most have had great experiences too, which I'm guessing means this must be a recent quality control thing) I wonder what alternatives folks might suggest within the same price range. Personally I am just wanting to drive JMA XTC2 which are really efficient so I don't need a ton of power, but want something small that sounds awesome. I try to stay away from anything that leans bright. I need a 4.4mm plug, and intend to use both iOS and Android phones

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #2,113 of 2,133
Hope it's not blasphemy to ask this question here, but given the quality issues many are experiencing (I know many/most have had great experiences too, which I'm guessing means this must be a recent quality control thing) I wonder what alternatives folks might suggest within the same price range. Personally I am just wanting to drive JMA XTC2 which are really efficient so I don't need a ton of power, but want something small that sounds awesome. I try to stay away from anything that leans bright. I need a 4.4mm plug, and intend to use both iOS and Android phones
Questyle m15i
This is what I landed on after 2 RU7 failures.
No DSD blunted transients or artifacts and my phone battery lasts about 3X longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back