Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 20, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #3,452 of 3,665
Hi, I wanted to ask the more experienced (it would be perfect if Andykong answered me) if I could connect the RU6 via the 3.5mm to my ifi micro iCAN SE amplifier to be able to listen to it with the HD800S or risk something because of the low output impedance from RU6. Thank you.

P.S. Listening to the RU6 through the HD6XX Massdrop is just wonderful.
Seek for input impedance of your ifi and if, not lower than 10 Ohm then you safe 101% to use!

May 20, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,453 of 3,665
Hi, I wanted to ask the more experienced (it would be perfect if Andykong answered me) if I could connect the RU6 via the 3.5mm to my ifi micro iCAN SE amplifier to be able to listen to it with the HD800S or risk something because of the low output impedance from RU6. Thank you.

P.S. Listening to the RU6 through the HD6XX Massdrop is just wonderful.
I have posted earlier in this thread about this as I own the ifi ZenCAN and have paired with the RU6. It works really well. I initially used the SE output of the RU6, but after experimentation with my Beyers (250Ω), OS mode and balanced 4.4 output of the RU6 to the Zen can provides a better listening experience. Set the volume of the RU6 to 72, 74, 76 and there is no hissing or issues with interference. I imagine the XCAN shouldn't be any different 👍🏻

May 20, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #3,454 of 3,665
Seek for input impedance of your ifi and if, not lower than 10 Ohm then you safe 101% to use!
I can't find anywhere the minimum input impedance of my ifi micro ican se... and I can't even find a way to contact ifi because it's a too old model that no longer exists on their site... :frowning2:

May 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #3,455 of 3,665
RU6+Mest MKII = butter and jam

May 20, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #3,456 of 3,665
I can't find anywhere the minimum input impedance of my ifi micro ican se... and I can't even find a way to contact ifi because it's a too old model that no longer exists on their site... :frowning2:
Generally input impedance for most amp goes from a few hundred ohm to about a thousand or so. I won't be too worry.

May 21, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #3,457 of 3,665
@Andykong, but also to anyone who wants to answer me, I connected the RU6 (volume 76 SE) to the ifi micro iCAN SE and everything went smoothly, but I have one last question, it would be better to set the Cayin in high gain or better in low gain? Thank you.

May 21, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #3,458 of 3,665
@Andykong, but also to anyone who wants to answer me, I connected the RU6 (volume 76 SE) to the ifi micro iCAN SE and everything went smoothly, but I have one last question, it would be better to set the Cayin in high gain or better in low gain? Thank you.
Try both. Let us know which one you like best.

May 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #3,459 of 3,665
May 22, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,460 of 3,665
Hi, connecting RU6 to pc the sound is better than android phone or tablet.
Question: is it a matter of the windows driver that "turns up" the volume compared to the simple android connection?
If yes, the programming of an APP for Android is foreseeable ?
It seems to me that the volume is about half with Android, keeping low gain and volume RU6 49, under the same conditions with the pc.
Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

May 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3,461 of 3,665
Hi, connecting RU6 to pc the sound is better than android phone or tablet.
Question: is it a matter of the windows driver that "turns up" the volume compared to the simple android connection?
If yes, the programming of an APP for Android is foreseeable ?
It seems to me that the volume is about half with Android, keeping low gain and volume RU6 49, under the same conditions with the pc.
Thanks in advance for your kind replies.
It's a question of the power supply from the USB port of the PC ... stronger and cleaner than the cell phone.

May 22, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #3,464 of 3,665
A reply from Cayin about a curiosity of mine would be useful.
By connecting a PD 4.0 hub that accepts data and USB 3.1 gen2 5 Volt 1A charging towards the DAC, with PD 4.0 charging towards the phone (33 watt), the dac has more dynamics, only if set to high gain. Without a PD 4.0 power supply (60 watts) the dynamics decrease a bit. So my question, is it a question of the reduced volume that the smartphone has compared to a PC with Windows 10 and the Cayin driver installed? Am I doing something wrong in the analysis? Thanks to Cayin Support for your very kind replies.

May 22, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #3,465 of 3,665
I'm still wondering if a recklocker or usb filter would improve my RU6.
A reclocker might be a little bit overkill to use with a dongle DAC.

But as I have said, my experience with the Audioquest JitterBug FMJ and RU6 combo has been overwhelmingly positive.

To me, it sounds like the RU6 would sound if it had a toslink input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back