Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 5, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,391 of 3,665
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 6, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,392 of 3,665
Has anyone been able to get the RU6 to work at DSD 256? I can do DSD256 via DoP with Chord Mojo but not with RU6.
DSD128 works fine with both but prefer DSD256 to eliminate intermittent clicks

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #3,393 of 3,665
Has anyone been able to get the RU6 to work at DSD 256? I can do DSD256 via DoP with Chord Mojo but not with RU6.
Something to do with the driver? I think if you use the WASAPI driver you are limited to 256. The ASIO driver allows you to go up to 512 I think

May 7, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #3,394 of 3,665
I listen to my music every day in DSD 256 format on my RU6. I use the PCM to DSD on the fly conversion in Neutron Player.
With this upscaling technique, FLAC and MP3 , CD quality FLAC or Hi RES FLAC all sound just as good. But true DSD recordings still sound more analog.

May 7, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #3,395 of 3,665
Something to do with the driver? I think if you use the WASAPI driver you are limited to 256. The ASIO driver allows you to go up to 512 I think
Not that. I'm using HQPlayer up-sampling which is Linux OS based or Stylus player with DSD256 recording. I did read somewhere that
DSD256 requires 7xx speed support for DOP, haven't been able to get sound from the RU6 if I chose native DSD mode. And again,
Chord Mojo works fine using DoP with DSD256 using HQPlayer or Stylus

May 7, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #3,396 of 3,665
Not that. I'm using HQPlayer up-sampling which is Linux OS based or Stylus player with DSD256 recording. I did read somewhere that
DSD256 requires 7xx speed support for DOP, haven't been able to get sound from the RU6 if I chose native DSD mode. And again,
Chord Mojo works fine using DoP with DSD256 using HQPlayer or Stylus
My bad. I was wrong. Apologies for the wrong info.

May 7, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #3,397 of 3,665
My bad. I was wrong. Apologies for the wrong info.
Done some searching and I think you were in the right church, wrong pew. Quoted from an iFi FAQ

"So ASIO 88.2KHz native can transmit DSD64 while on DoP it needs 176.4KHz to transmit DSD data"

And
"The key difference is that ASIO has it’s own distinct protocol that packs 32 bit worth of DSD data into a PCM sample but support even on Windows is very limited and does mostly not exist on Apple& Linux"

So it appears that RU6 can do DSD256 if you have ASIO but by its 384 PCM limitation cannot do faster than 128 DSD using DoP

Weirdly enough the RU6 does do 48K based DSD vs just the standard 44.1K based DSD. I have been able to do both 64 and 128 DSD
up-sampling using HQPlayer 48K DSD option which confuses my media player, causing it to to display DSD 69 and DSD 139, vs DSD64/128

May 10, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3,398 of 3,665
Do you get drops when adjusting the volume? Mine does that and it's annoying.
it is normal for r2r dac architecture (there are 10x9=99 volume steps and when switching from one set of resistors to another it is small mute of sound otherwise would be POP noise which is less convenience) What bothers me more is slight static pop noise at start when switching to new song on tidal for example and I can find reason why but I forget about that inconvenience the moment I hear the best sound possible on any portable dac money can buy these days. So enjoy (almost perfect) excellence :)

May 10, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #3,399 of 3,665
I can't wait for it to arrive, my Jewels are quivering and also the jitterbug, plus I bought them a better cable because I read that with less jitter the R2R dacs gain exponentially. We will see...
Sorry for the noob question... in Windows how much should I set it to 24/192?

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #3,400 of 3,665
Today I got it and it's a show!!! Above all connected to the Jewels and I must say that I don't agree with many who define it as poor in definition... on the contrary... compared with the W1 it is certainly less precise but in a good sense, i.e. less analytical and much more musical and full in all frequencies. It's like the difference between a sword and a club. One thing I didn't expect is its power seems double the W1, for example driving the Jewels with the W1 I had set high gain and volume around 45/50 instead with the RU6 just low gain at 35/40 volume, strange because as data declared on the card should be very similar. Consumption doesn't interest me so much I will always use it on the PC, but I noticed one thing on Amazon HD on the left channel I hear ticking sounds a bit like those of the volume change while with Foobar it does them on the right ... lol
I'll have to play with the settings a bit... for now I'm listening to it with the jitterbug, but then I'll take it off and see if it changes anything or if it will change after the break-in. For now I'm very happy, excellent dongle for those who love music in its true nature ... the real one, less perfect but closer to the real one and much more intimate. Digital versus analog… the choice is yours, but if you can have both, better.

May 12, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #3,401 of 3,665
Ok, discovered everything ... the jitterbug will make another 3/4 years of drawer ... lol
Jitteburg removed and ticking disappeared and for those who were wondering it also greatly worsens the dynamics of the RU6.

May 12, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,402 of 3,665
Today I got it and it's a show!!! Above all connected to the Jewels and I must say that I don't agree with many who define it as poor in definition... on the contrary... compared with the W1 it is certainly less precise but in a good sense, i.e. less analytical and much more musical and full in all frequencies. It's like the difference between a sword and a club. One thing I didn't expect is its power seems double the W1, for example driving the Jewels with the W1 I had set high gain and volume around 45/50 instead with the RU6 just low gain at 35/40 volume, strange because as data declared on the card should be very similar. Consumption doesn't interest me so much I will always use it on the PC, but I noticed one thing on Amazon HD on the left channel I hear ticking sounds a bit like those of the volume change while with Foobar it does them on the right ... lol
I'll have to play with the settings a bit... for now I'm listening to it with the jitterbug, but then I'll take it off and see if it changes anything or if it will change after the break-in. For now I'm very happy, excellent dongle for those who love music in its true nature ... the real one, less perfect but closer to the real one and much more intimate. Digital versus analog… the choice is yours, but if you can have both, better.
Funny, I have those ticking on the left channel on foobar but nothing on windows player, music bee or Tidal, only foobar.
And about SQ this dac is for those who like different smooth sound (life like) those who like crystal clear analytical sound could get any delta sigma dac from 50 usd and above.
This dac is like tube amp sound compared to normal amp. If you want bit more resolution you can switch in OS mode and you get 90-95% of that you get with Questyle M15 for example.
Me personally I exclusively listen my music library in NOS mode and don’t bother with 5-10% less resolution or 5% less imaging and dynamic compare to M15 instead I enjoy in perfectly smooth wet mid feq centric perfection with warm bass and enough HF to listen your music 24/7 if you want.

May 12, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #3,403 of 3,665
From what I understand, reading around, the RU6 really appreciates analytical IEMs and with those you get practically no drop in detail or resolution. Certainly associating it with iems already set on warm sounds you lose something in resolution so the moral is to use it with iems like Mest MKII or Jewel, but then I'll try it calmly also with the IT07, Monarch and Z1R... who knows what the RU6 don't surprise me even with those. For now I can say that I have found what I was looking for... a different sound signature from all the dap/dacs I own without emptying my wallet shortly after the purchase of the Jewels which have already made a nice deep hole. lol

May 12, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #3,404 of 3,665
Turn Me Loose, I'm Dr. Feelgood by the unforgettable James Brown it seems even faster than it actually already is... smoothness and musicality signed RU6. Great!!!

May 12, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #3,405 of 3,665
From what I understand, reading around, the RU6 really appreciates analytical IEMs and with those you get practically no drop in detail or resolution. Certainly associating it with iems already set on warm sounds you lose something in resolution so the moral is to use it with iems like Mest MKII or Jewel, but then I'll try it calmly also with the IT07, Monarch and Z1R... who knows what the RU6 don't surprise me even with those. For now I can say that I have found what I was looking for... a different sound signature from all the dap/dacs I own without emptying my wallet shortly after the purchase of the Jewels which have already made a nice deep hole. lol
Exactly I use RU6 mainly with ie600 and do not feel that I need bit more extra resolution but those 5-10% I mentioned you can feel with ie100 pro or cheaper (less resolving and/or more bassy) set of IEMs but nothing significant that will turn you off. And you really have to analytically analyze part of songs note by note to notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back