Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Sep 25, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,823 of 3,665
I am getting some noise with my LCD-X (2021) after 65 volume, I usally listen in the 65-70 range, high gain, OS mode, it sound like its clipping, is it normal?

Hold on, so you've used it with this phone in the past on these settings and with these headphones and had no problem and then the RU6 just started with the noise/clipping out of nowhere? I just want to pin that down before I start speculating and potentially wasting time.

It would also be helpful if you could connect another pair of headphones to the RU6 and the same phone and see if it produces the same sound or clipping as you increase the volume. This will help determine possibilities for the cause.

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #2,824 of 3,665
Hold on, so you've used it with this phone in the past on these settings and with these headphones and had no problem and then the RU6 just started with the noise/clipping out of nowhere? I just want to pin that down before I start speculating and potentially wasting time.

It would also be helpful if you could connect another pair of headphones to the RU6 and the same phone and see if it produces the same sound or clipping as you increase the volume. This will help determine possibilities for the cause.
I got the RU6 2 days back, having this issue from the very start, now I have checked the Porta Pros in low gain, still getting noise, both OS/NOS, all these is with my S22 Ultra, laptop works fine.

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #2,825 of 3,665
I got the RU6 2 days back, having this issue from the very start, now I have checked the Porta Pros in low gain, still getting noise, both OS/NOS, all these is with my S22 Ultra, laptop works fine.

Sounds like an issue with the S22 eg a malfunctioning usb c port or some kind of compatibility issue since the RU6 functions fine on your laptop. Does lowering the device volume on your S22 make any difference at all? Does it make the noise softer or does it stay the same?

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #2,826 of 3,665
Have to take back what i said about the RU6 working well with the HD650. Maybe it needed a bit of run in time or for my ears to adjust, but it's doing a pretty great job with it at the moment. It can handle harder to drive cans on high gain. Sounds fine.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,827 of 3,665
Sounds like an issue with the S22 eg a malfunctioning usb c port or some kind of compatibility issue since the RU6 functions fine on your laptop. Does lowering the device volume on your S22 make any difference at all? Does it make the noise softer or does it stay the same?
It seems the S22 ultra works better using the provided short type-c cable, earlier I was using a 3rd party long cable, so it can be EMI noise or probably the cable has more resistance, I'll have to test more on this, but one thing I noticed is the Laptop still sound better, has more impact, more authoritative, I will test the S22 ultra later with a powered USB hub to see if it gives some improvement.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #2,828 of 3,665
Deleted

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #2,829 of 3,665
It seems the S22 ultra works better using the provided short type-c cable, earlier I was using a 3rd party long cable, so it can be EMI noise or probably the cable has more resistance, I'll have to test more on this, but one thing I noticed is the Laptop still sound better, has more impact, more authoritative, I will test the S22 ultra later with a powered USB hub to see if it gives some improvement.

Let me know how your tests go. I'm not sure of the stats on the S22, but the only reason I can think of for the laptop sounding better would be if the s22 is creating a choke point for your audio chain by not providing enough juice for the RU6 to convert to fully power it's amp section. It would be similar to using a 5v power supply on an amo that requires 12v. The amp will (depending on design) still give you sound, but it will be underpowered and thus have noticeably hanstrung performance. That said, I want to reiterate that I haven't looked up the S22 to know if that's what's going on. Just speculating at this point.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #2,830 of 3,665
Has this AMP/Dongle been a headache for anyone? Or was it just me??? Search my name and you’ll find a treasure trove of issues I had. Musictek wound up not returning it, so… I got fed up and sold it as is for like $70 shipped or so.

Never again will I do something like this again.

Zach

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,831 of 3,665
Has this AMP/Dongle been a headache for anyone? Or was it just me??? Search my name and you’ll find a treasure trove of issues I had. Musictek wound up not returning it, so… I got fed up and sold it as is for like $70 shipped or so.

Never again will I do something like this again.

Zach

Never again will you do something like what?

Personally, I have nothing but good experiences to report. I used my RU6 often and I really like it. Any product is going to have a certain number of QC or compatibility issues and I haven't noticed sn abnormal number with the RU6, but that's just me. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you though. Do you mind if I ask what problems you had with it?

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,832 of 3,665
Absolutely love mine. I like it so much that I sold all my DAPs including my beloved Sony WM1Z . This allows all my devices to sound nery as good as my Sony WM1Z. I use it primarily with my phone OnePlus 8T and my 2020 iPad pro. It has a stellar anog sound .. sorry you had issues with it

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,833 of 3,665
Let me know how your tests go. I'm not sure of the stats on the S22, but the only reason I can think of for the laptop sounding better would be if the s22 is creating a choke point for your audio chain by not providing enough juice for the RU6 to convert to fully power it's amp section. It would be similar to using a 5v power supply on an amo that requires 12v. The amp will (depending on design) still give you sound, but it will be underpowered and thus have noticeably hanstrung performance. That said, I want to reiterate that I haven't looked up the S22 to know if that's what's going on. Just speculating at this point.
The S22 are one of the few (along with OnePlus and some Oppo) where the USB is actually 3.2. In other brands, they are implementations of the USB 2 protocol on the C connector. It should not be a power problem, since more power is delivered on USB3. I just received my S22 Ultra and I will try to compare it with my previous mobile and my DAP, which are the ones I used mainly with the RU6

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2,834 of 3,665
Absolutely love mine. I like it so much that I sold all my DAPs including my beloved Sony WM1Z . This allows all my devices to sound nery as good as my Sony WM1Z. I use it primarily with my phone OnePlus 8T and my 2020 iPad pro. It has a stellar anog sound .. sorry you had issues with it
You should try RS2.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,835 of 3,665
Never again will you do something like what?

Personally, I have nothing but good experiences to report. I used my RU6 often and I really like it. Any product is going to have a certain number of QC or compatibility issues and I haven't noticed sn abnormal number with the RU6, but that's just me. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you though. Do you mind if I ask what problems you had with it?
I used RU6 with my S20 Ultra without any problem. However, most of the time I used RU6 with my laptop or desktop, I have to say that it will be hard to press to find another DAC/AMP better than RU6 to drive IEMs.

I tried RS8 and RS2 during CanJam and RS8 is THE best DAPs I tried, much better than the new AK SP3k to my ears. For RS2, I only spent a few min and it is also pretty good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back