Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jul 14, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #2,671 of 3,685
Quick question.. I just got RU6. How to check the firmware and make sure I have the latest and second where to get the firmware

Thanks pc

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,672 of 3,685
Quick question.. I just got RU6. How to check the firmware and make sure I have the latest and second where to get the firmware

Thanks pc
As far as I'm aware, there have never been firmware updates for the ru-6. I'm not even sure the unit is updateable.

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #2,674 of 3,685
Any amp recommendation that goes well with ru6?

Nx7
Sa1?

I dont mind if portable or desktop

Thx
You'd best set some parameters such as price, dimension, weight, power requirements (intended to drive which headphone?) etc.

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #2,676 of 3,685
Price under usd 1k

Primary headphones are hd6xx, hifiman edition xs and fiio fh7
I've paired the HD650 with RU6 via WA8, and that's a fantastic sounding portable (or rather transportable) duo. U can find used sets for just under 1k sometimes.

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,677 of 3,685
Oh, not just coming soon, already here :D This little data/power adapter from ddHiFi is brilliant. No need for splitters or usb-c to lightning adapters or camera kits. It's a small adapter with lightning connector going to your iPhone/iPod Touch and then one side with usb-c data output (for your usb dac/amp) and the other side with usb-c power input (for charging).

Here, took a few very quick pictures with iPod Touch. Ironically, I use the latest gen iPod touch for all my "iPhone" testing and its battery is dead, can't hold a charge for more than 4-5min. Now, I can test it for as long as I want to because I'm charging at the same time. Btw, also got their usb-c to usb-c OTG cable (Nyx series, TC09S model). Regardless of what I thought of a short usb-c OTG cable can do, this one gives RU6 a wider soundstage, and I'm still scratching my head because I'm hearing a difference loud and clear. The only secret sauce here is extra isolation of every wire and keeping data and power completely separate. Plus, core of the wire is pure silver while shielding is OFC and SPC.

ddhifi_tc28ipro-ru6-x02.jpg

ddhifi_tc28ipro-ru6-x01.jpg
It only allows you to charge the iPhone at the same time or provides additional power for the USB DAC? in other words, the device contributes to a better sound or just allows you to charge your smartphone in parallel?

When I tested the L&P W2 dongle, the sound from the macbook was slightly better than from the iPhone. as far as I understand, due to the higher transport power.

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,678 of 3,685
It only allows you to charge the iPhone at the same time or provides additional power for the USB DAC? in other words, the device contributes to a better sound or just allows you to charge your smartphone in parallel?

When I tested the L&P W2 dongle, the sound from the macbook was slightly better than from the iPhone. as far as I understand, due to the higher transport power.

The data/power to RU6 comes from iPhone/ipod Touch in this case. The additional (and optional) usb-c power port is only to charge the smartphone.

It still works without power cable connected, so you can use it either way. I tested it with and without a power cable connected, and there was no difference in sound quality.

This adapter is for convenience, letting you use usb-c cable with your iPhone without a need to get lightning cable and also being able to charge the host (iPhone) at the same time.

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #2,679 of 3,685
The data/power to RU6 comes from iPhone/ipod Touch in this case. The additional (and optional) usb-c power port is only to charge the smartphone.

It still works without power cable connected, so you can use it either way. I tested it with and without a power cable connected, and there was no difference in sound quality.

This adapter is for convenience, letting you use usb-c cable with your iPhone without a need to get lightning cable and also being able to charge the host (iPhone) at the same time.
^^^THIS^^^

A little additional info. Apple has very specific power requirements, or power availability to pass on to devices plugged into the lightning port. That's why you may see the error message about some devices not being compatible, or drawing to much power.

The ddhifi TC28i Pro doesn't have the Apple Certified 'mifi' rating (or it's not shown in advertising if it does). That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it myself, it only means that ddhifi didn't go through the certification process (takes time, $$$, and other resources).

They do however make the claim of better sound. Advert of ddhifi's below. Whether this is a change that can be heard...like @twister6 mentioned, he didn't find it. Secondary question for @twister6, did you ever get any pop up messages when using the ddhifi TC28i?

S7b47d73ebfd24650b1fe0b002b28ef6ct.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,680 of 3,685
^^^THIS^^^

A little additional info. Apple has very specific power requirements, or power availability to pass on to devices plugged into the lightning port. That's why you may see the error message about some devices not being compatible, or drawing to much power.

The ddhifi TC28i Pro doesn't have the Apple Certified 'mifi' rating (or it's not shown in advertising if it does). That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it myself, it only means that ddhifi didn't go through the certification process (takes time, $$$, and other resources).

They do however make the claim of better sound. Advert of ddhifi's below. Whether this is a change that can be heard...like @twister6 mentioned, he didn't find it. Secondary question for @twister6, did you ever get any pop up messages when using the ddhifi TC28i?

S7b47d73ebfd24650b1fe0b002b28ef6ct.jpg

I can double check with my daughter's iPhone 13, but with iPod Touch 7th gen I used for testing, there were no warning messages. I mean, the whole purpose of this adapter is to use it with iPhone, so I'm sure DDhifi did a thorough testing. But I will double check it. I'm Android guy, and in our household only my oldest teen uses iPhone :D

Regarding sound quality improvement, the only way to make such claim is relative to another similar adapter, don't know how else you would compare it since everything else will be apples to oranges, if you know what I mean. TC28i and TC28i Pro are similar, didn't hear any difference. And with or without power cable, I didn't hear any difference either. Now, as I mentioned before, their TC09S usb-c to usb-c cable does improve the sound, can't explain why, but I tested it and hear wider soundstage with RU6 and relative to other cables. That OTG cable is a beast, two separate conductors for power and data, fully isolated and with extra shielding of each.

ddhifi-accessories-2022-18.jpg

I actually just posted a mini review covering that usb-c cable, lightning power adapter, and a few of their other accessories, tested with RU6.

ddhifi-accessories-2022-00.jpg

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,681 of 3,685
I can double check with my daughter's iPhone 13, but with iPod Touch 7th gen I used for testing, there were no warning messages. I mean, the whole purpose of this adapter is to use it with iPhone, so I'm sure DDhifi did a thorough testing. But I will double check it. I'm Android guy, and in our household only my oldest teen uses iPhone :D
I don't doubt the thorough testing, the ddhifi line looks like nice products, well though out/designed, just haven't run into a use case for me. The MFi standards can be researched, they've been out for quite awhile. A companies product can be lightning adapter compatible without the official Apple MFi process (although they probably shouldn't use that labeling, as Apple legal would be all over them).

I only bring it up as I've crossed an iPhone warranty situation with non MFi charging cables. We've been mostly iPhones since 2007, however I had a brief 4 year stint on Android. Currently playing w/Android 11 on an iBasso DX320. Android is a tweaker's delight if one wants.

By the way, love the reviews. The LCD-X 2021 review helped seal the deal for my purchase last month.

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,682 of 3,685
The NOS mode on this DAC, what a unique feature. But, it's use is frustratingly hindered by sample rate conversion in Windows and Android.

NOS implies that the DAC should get a bit-perfect signal in it's native sample rate. A 44.1 track should reach the DAC as 44.1 in order for the true NOS sound to be heard.

For example, Amazon Music bit perfect output on Windows 10 requires one to manually set the bit depth and sample rate in the Windows sound settings to match the format of what you are listening to. Amazon Music does not automatically adjust the sample rate of the bitstream going to the DAC to match the source media, regardless of if it's in "exclusive" mode or not. I typically run windows audio at 24bit 384khz on my desktop DAC and thus, all media played by Amazon Music gets upsampled by windows to 384khz. You can only get bit perfect output (confirmed by the correct sample rate display on the RU6) by manually matching the windows sound settings sample rate to the sample rate and bit depth of track being played in Amazon Music (this is very inconvenient).
I think this is very important since the NOS mode on the RU6 should be fed a non-upsampled signal to truly shine.
What's the point of using NOS if the media is all being upsampled before it hits the DAC?

What about Android? Well, with Android 12 on my Pixel 6 Pro, everything gets upsampled. I tried Amazon Music as well as Qobuz. Android SRC takes over.

The ONLY way I've found to get bit perfect out of android is by using USB Audio Player Pro and logging into Qobuz that way. This method sends the correct bit depth and sample rate media to the DAC without any android SRC. As I switch through tracks, the RU6 display changes according to the native sample rate of the track.

How is everyone handling this? Why can't the Amazon Music or Qobuz Android app adjust sample rate to match the track being played?

Edit: the Qobuz windows app works perfectly. I just set the output device to "Cayin RU6 wasapi exclusive" mode and Qobuz sends a bit perfect stream to the DAC.

Edit 2: Just read a post where Andy covered these limitations on page 147 of this thread.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,683 of 3,685
I think this is very important since the NOS mode on the RU6 should be fed a non-upsampled signal to truly shine.
What's the point of using NOS if the media is all being upsampled before it hits the DAC?

What about Android? Well, with Android 12 on my Pixel 6 Pro, everything gets upsampled. I tried Amazon Music as well as Qobuz. Android SRC takes over.

The ONLY way I've found to get bit perfect out of android is by using USB Audio Player Pro and logging into Qobuz that way. This method sends the correct bit depth and sample rate media to the DAC without any android SRC. As I switch through tracks, the RU6 display changes according to the native sample rate of the track.

How is everyone handling this? Why can't the Amazon Music or Qobuz Android app adjust sample rate to match the track being played?
Tidal with RU6
I am using my Windows 11 to feed the RU6 in NOS. In Tidal, I set it to "Use Exclusive Mode". "Master" tracks show 88.2KHz.

I am not sure that this indicates bit perfect feed from the Windows Tidal app.

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,684 of 3,685
Tidal with RU6
I am using my Windows 11 to feed the RU6 in NOS. In Tidal, I set it to "Use Exclusive Mode". "Master" tracks show 88.2KHz.

I am not sure that this indicates bit perfect feed from the Windows Tidal app.
What does the RU6 screen show when you play a regular non-MQA track in Tidal?

I do believe that tidal does bypass all the windows APO's and SRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back