Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,686 of 3,688
What does the RU6 screen show when you play a regular non-MQA track in Tidal?

I do believe that tidal does bypass all the windows APO's and SRC.
Windows 11, Tidal, Master Streaming Quality, Use Exclusive Mode > RU6 (NOS):

HiFi shows 44.1Khz
Master shows 96Khz e.g. Wilco, Cruel County (or 88.2Khz on some tracks, e.g. Billie Eilish TV))

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #2,689 of 3,688
I don't think that any of these - excellent by any other means - dongles can do justice to the Elite.
I'm aware of that. But my listening time away from the desktop is so limited that I can't justify spending more than 200-300 bucks on a portable solution. Both dongles should me way better than the one I got with my Pixel 2...

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #2,690 of 3,688
I'm aware of that. But my listening time away from the desktop is so limited that I can't justify spending more than 200-300 bucks on a portable solution. Both dongles should me way better than the one I got with my Pixel 2...
Definitely better!
Well, both sound great, the M15 a little more technical and the RU-6 a little more analogue.
I would also add to your list the iFi Go bar which I think is the more powerful.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #2,691 of 3,688
Definitely better!
Well, both sound great, the M15 a little more technical and the RU-6 a little more analogue.
I would also add to your list the iFi Go bar which I think is the more powerful.
Speaking of the IFi Go Bar (Anniversary Gold plated edition), do you think it is worth getting if one already has the RU6? I nearly bought one yesterday when they became available again at a dealer I know, although I could not make up my mind. Does the GoLD Bar bring enough performance difference (from the RU6) to justify adding it to my collection of dongles? To complicate matters even further, I also have the Ifi Micro idsd Signature edition, which is transportable, rather than portable as the GoLD Bar dongle is, but still...

Although I found the Gold bar attractive for its looks and its potential use case as a dongle, I was not sure whether it was bringing enough "new performance" capabilities as a dongle to justify its cost in my case, but I would like to know your opinion about this.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #2,692 of 3,688
Speaking of the IFi Go Bar (Anniversary Gold plated edition), do you think it is worth getting if one already has the RU6? I nearly bought one yesterday when they became available again at a dealer I know, although I could not make up my mind. Does the GoLD Bar bring enough performance difference (from the RU6) to justify adding it to my collection of dongles? To complicate matters even further, I also have the Ifi Micro idsd Signature edition, which is transportable, rather than portable as the GoLD Bar dongle is, but still...

Although I found the Gold bar attractive for its looks and its potential use case as a dongle, I was not sure whether it was bringing enough "new performance" capabilities as a dongle to justify its cost in my case, but I would like to know your opinion about this.
As you probably already know this is a difficult answer that cannot be based in strictly "objective" criteria but it lies in the realm of subjectiveness.
The answer should be "NO" when judged considering actual performance against the gear you already own.
The transportable device is better and the RU-6 is as competent although slightly different.
But then, if you ask the devil's advice then he would say "YES" because the Gold bar is so good sounding that is worth having even if you own the best gear.
I almost bought one myself but a sudden refrigerator failure has defeated the Devil 👿!

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,693 of 3,688
As you probably already know this is a difficult answer that cannot be based in strictly "objective" criteria but it lies in the realm of subjectiveness.
The answer should be "NO" when judged considering actual performance against the gear you already own.
The transportable device is better and the RU-6 is as competent although slightly different.
But then, if you ask the devil's advice then he would say "YES" because the Gold bar is so good sounding that is worth having even if you own the best gear.
I almost bought one myself but a sudden refrigerator failure has defeated the Devil 👿!
That's a terrific two pronged (or two-horned) answer, with the additional burden of a devil to defeat... I am totally inspired! Thanks:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #2,694 of 3,688
RU6 overheating with Grados???

I am using RU6 NOS, High Gain, 29db volume in all these use cases...

iPad Pro > Tidal > RU6 4.4mm balanced > Focal Elegia (Fluke meter 31.2 ohms)
With the Focals the RU6 just gets a bit warm.

iPad Pro > Tidal > RU6 4.4mm balanced > Grado SR325is (Fluke meter 34.2 ohms). Grados modified to use Meze 4.4mm balanced "silver" cable (1 ohm).
With the Grados the RU6 gets hot within 5 minutes. I can hold it in my hand, but it's pretty hot.

I also notice that on my desktop PC > RU6 > Grados, playing the same album in HiFi (from Foobar2000) and Tidal Master:
44.1Mhz, RU6 gets warm.
88.2 Mhz RU6 gets hot.

With the Focals it's just a little bit warmer playing the "Master" version.

Anyone else notice this?
Would +4 ohms draw that much more power?
Does it take more power to process 88.2 Mhz?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,695 of 3,688

iPad Pro > Tidal > RU6 4.4mm balanced > Grado SR325is (Fluke meter 34.2 ohms). Grados modified to use Meze 4.4mm balanced "silver" cable (1 ohm).
With the Grados the RU6 gets hot within 5 minutes. I can hold it in my hand, but it's pretty hot.

I also notice that on my desktop PC > RU6 > Grados, playing the same album in HiFi (from Foobar2000) and Tidal Master:
44.1Mhz, RU6 gets warm.
88.2 Mhz RU6 gets hot.

Anyone else notice this?

Any ideas?

Thanks
You might be onto something there. I use my RU6 everyday on the go. Sometimes, it gets really hot to the point I can't put it in my pocket. I'll try to see if it happens specifically when listening to MQA, even if there shouldn't be any MQA decoding happening with this DAC

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #2,696 of 3,688
You might be onto something there. I use my RU6 everyday on the go. Sometimes, it gets really hot to the point I can't put it in my pocket. I'll try to see if it happens specifically when listening to MQA, even if there shouldn't be any MQA decoding happening with this DAC
There isn't. Your transport device does the 1st unfold and passes it to RU6. Strange. Is it your device heating up and not RU6 though?

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,697 of 3,688

44.1Mhz, RU6 gets warm.
88.2 Mhz RU6 gets hot.

Anyone else notice this?

Any ideas?

Thanks
New test…
iPad > RU6 3.5mm > Oppo PM-3. 39db volume. Tidal “HiFi”. 88.2 Mhz. Does not even get warm.

Can anyone from Cayin step in and tell us what causes the RU6 to heat up, and more importantly at what temperature will the device be damaged??

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #2,698 of 3,688
New test…
iPad > RU6 3.5mm > Oppo PM-3. 39db volume. Tidal “HiFi”. 88.2 Mhz. Does not even get warm.

Can anyone from Cayin step in and tell us what causes the RU6 to heat up, and more importantly at what temperature will the device be damaged??

Only used mine at home so far but I noticed my RU6 gets much hotter in oversampling mode.

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #2,699 of 3,688
Ru6 NOS mode+ one plus 8T or iPad Pro 2020 + poweramp player ( flacbox on iPad)+ 50 clicks volume driving either 64 audio Nio or Noble K10 using balanced or 3.5 mmTRRS. It gets quite warm ..

Same goes for moonriver 2 . But lotto s2 never got warm

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,700 of 3,688
Well, I have just tested: PC>Audirvana>Qobuz>RU6>iFi Zen CAN>Beyerdynamic DT880 pros and wow, this synergy is really nice. Just proves the RU6 is really an amazing dongle dac with both headphones (including hard to drive cans) and IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back