Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jul 7, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #2,656 of 3,685
Just got my ru6. Sound very fatiguing.
Can't believe you're saying this about RU6 :). Could be some sort of EQ on your source? Or the cayin is faulty...
Did you try switching OS/NOS modes? Although I can't call neither fatiguing.

Could it be some demanding headphone causing to clip or something?

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,657 of 3,685
I've installed Tidal on my new Android phone. I've got 2 Tempotec dongles, and Tidal / Hiby (app) feeeze after I give them permission to used USB audio.

When I connect RU6 though, Tidal doesn't even ask for this permission. It just plays everything through the usual Android path with resampling to 48kHz :frowning2:
Any suggestions how to fix this?

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,658 of 3,685
How to upgrade a mid-tier DAP (A&K sr25) :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,659 of 3,685
Can't believe you're saying this about RU6 :). Could be some sort of EQ on your source? Or the cayin is faulty...
Did you try switching OS/NOS modes? Although I can't call neither fatiguing.

Could it be some demanding headphone causing to clip or something?
It gets better after 15hrs burn in. Fatiguing Maybe wrong word. A bit harsh might be better word

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #2,660 of 3,685
What is your source to RU6? mobile phone or PC? Can you set USB bit-perfect USB Audio (or exclusive USB Audio) path for RU6? What is the volume value of your mobile phone/PC and RU6 when you pair your RU6 with Hifiman edition xs and Fiio FH7 respectively?
Source: Note 20 ultra at max volume with wifi and cellular of playing wav and aif locally from mem card

Yes. Using uapp bit perfect.

Getting better with burn in after 15hrs.

+will update after settling in

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,662 of 3,685
It gets better after 15hrs burn in. Fatiguing Maybe wrong word. A bit harsh might be better word
From a test here at Head-fi:
... while it comes as a surprise that the RU6 is a touch metallic sounding in the upper mids/treble and can become just a bit edgy.
The RU6 is somewhat bolder and aggressive compared to the Go bar which is calmer and more polite.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,663 of 3,685
... while it comes as a surprise that the RU6 is a touch metallic sounding in the upper mids/treble and can become just a bit edgy.
The RU6 is somewhat bolder and aggressive compared to the Go bar which is calmer and more polite.
Sorry, I have to totally disagree. I find many ESS dacs that I own to be more edgy in terms of treble and upper mids - especially the ESS dacs that opt for a completely silent noise floor and extremely detailed, high clarity sound signature - which I now (having had the RU6 for 6 months) find to be quite sterile and the opposite of musical.

The RU6 has an amazing balance - it is still very detailed and offers great soundstage and clarity across the whole frequency range whilst maintaining an analogue, musical vibe across most genres of music that I just can't seem to get with ESS or AKM dacs. I do know some people have said that the Questyle M12 & M15 has a more analogue tuning/implementation of its ESS dac chips. And I'd love to know how the iBasso DC06 sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,664 of 3,685
Sorry, I have to totally disagree. I find many ESS dacs that I own to be more edgy in terms of treble and upper mids - especially the ESS dacs that opt for a completely silent noise floor and extremely detailed, high clarity sound signature - which I now (having had the RU6 for 6 months) find to be quite sterile and the opposite of musical.

The RU6 has an amazing balance - it is still very detailed and offers great soundstage and clarity across the whole frequency range whilst maintaining an analogue, musical vibe across most genres of music that I just can't seem to get with ESS or AKM dacs. I do know some people have said that the Questyle M12 & M15 has a more analogue tuning/implementation of its ESS dac chips. And I'd love to know how the iBasso DC06 sounds.
Ive tried out the m15 in comparison. its a bit more clinical in how it sounds, what you are meant to hear in the most digital sense. Yet, its still natural in its presentation.
No digital sharpening. But ru6 is a bit more of a pleasant sounding. I'd use m15 if i were using it for audio related editing, but ru6 for music.

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,665 of 3,685
<SNIP>

The RU6 has an amazing balance - it is still very detailed and offers great soundstage and clarity across the whole frequency range whilst maintaining an analogue, musical vibe across most genres of music <SNIP>

^^^^^^^
This describes the RU6 perfectly to my ears also. I'm using the RU6 with an iPhone 12 Pro Max, along with another recent aquisition, the Audeze LCD-X 2021. RU6 is set to high gain, NOS. OS is a bit much clarity for me.

I've spent the last day off and on comparing SQ (identical tracks, many genres) from Apple Music, FLACBox (my own ripped FLAC files), and Qobuz (still in the trial period). While I ultimately prefer FLACBox (using EQ for slight tuning), Qobuz is a very close second. Apple Music isn't bad by any means to these ears, it has a certain 'blackness' I like, which seems to create a bigger soundstage in all directions. However, at the same time, the overall experience presents a bit more recessed/sterile.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,666 of 3,685
Picked up a UM MEXT the other day. Impressed so far. Seems to be a great combo especially with the smoothed out treble on the RU6. (Some have complained about the highs on the MEXT but I’m not hearing any issues whatsoever)

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,668 of 3,685
Agreed. I prefered own ripped file as well. Tho its only cd quality. Less noise

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #2,669 of 3,685
Has anyone tried using a 3ft or longer USB-C cable with the RU-6? I just got mine, letting it burn in on my windows machine. If I use a 3ft USB-C cable the unit will work for a few minutes and then windows audio stops and I have to unplug and reconnect the cable. Edit: It was not the 3ft usb-c cable it was the USB port on my PC. I was using one of the ports on the front of the case which are wired differently than the ports on the back directly attached to the motherboard. Switching to the port on the back works fine. With the standard short USB-C that comes with the RU-6 the front port works fine too, maybe the front ports just don't provide enough power or maybe line loss which manifests with the longer cables.

Edit: I do have the RU-6 Windows USB driver installed. Interestingly, the dongle works without the driver too.

Edit 2: Loving the sound on this thing. The difference between OS and NOS is quite noticeable. Decent amount of power, drives my 80ohm DT770's well in high gain mode with volume around 70-90, depending on the track. Curious to see how my IEM's and LCD-X sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #2,670 of 3,685
Curious to see how my IEM's...sounds.
The RU-6 is silent with low impedance IEMs and is just a lovely experience overall.

To my ears, it sounds excellent with the IEMs in my collection, along with the ones I previously had (Olina / Variations / Fiio FH7 / U12T) . It adds a bit of warmth to more analytical sets but retains the details. For example, I was back and forth on selling the Variations, which are known to have a mid-bass dip; however, when I paired them with the RU-6, it was a magical listening experience. I found that I no longer needed EQ for the Variations with the RU-6. In the end, I only sold because of fit issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back