Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #2,626 of 3,665
Jun 29, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #2,627 of 3,665
Using Windows 11.

Downloaded drivers are blocked by Windows Defender and Norton as "not safe".

Suggestions?

They probably don't like our security cert? There arw two download button on the driver page, the one on far right is Google Drive, hopefully your Widows Defender will not block a Google Driver download.

1656523236986.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #2,628 of 3,665
I hope it's not required, since I've been using my RU6 with a Win10 work PC, where I'm not allowed to install drivers.

When I'm using it at home, it's connected to a Kubuntu 22.04 Linux PC, running a v5.15.0-40 Kernel, and with the latest pipewire audio subsystem. Are there any updates for Linux?

It is not required unless you run into some trouble with your existing setup. If your setup works fine right now, you don't need the new driver. The USB Audio 2.0 drivers provided by Windows 10 or 11 work fines in general, but it didn't support advanced features such as ASIO.

There is no need to install USB Audio Driver for Linux setup.

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,629 of 3,665
Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to read my review, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the clarification on the number of volume resistors, I had read about 120 pages by the time I got the RU6, but I don't remember the information about it. As for the effect of heat on noise, I would like to clarify: the amount of heat generated by the amplification part will depend on what load is connected, or does it just depend on what actual power they are working at?

No, we didn't mention the number of resistors in the volume control, we focused on the number of segments and problems when users jump from one segment to another. Whether each segment contains 4 resistors or 10 resistors is not really important, in our humble opinion. For those who are interested to find out these details, this is a very fundamental binary digital processing concept:
With one resistor, you can provide 2 volume steps: on and off.
With two resistors, you have 4 volume steps: on/on, on/off, off/on, off/off
With three resistors, you have 8 volume steps, so on and so forth.

Why would you drive the amplifier circuit to full load if you are connecting to a high-sensitive (easy load) earphone? That doesn't make sense, right? You only push the circuit to its limit because you have a load that needed the extra power. That's why you can't separate the two variables independently.

Last edited:

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2,630 of 3,665
Try putting the Ru6 in your hand and see of the pops go away.

I've noticed 2 things:
1. if you put the RU6 and a phone n the same pocket, it picks EMI which is sort constant rythmic popping.
2. Occasional pops which I believe is ESD. With limited experience with RU6 I thought it was my Moondrop Kato cable combined with specific clothing material. Putting my hand on the RU6 fixed it.

That's because you earthed the device when you put your hand on the RU6.

From what we tested, most Android and iPhone won't cause severe interference to RU6, but there are always the odd case that can be caused by the hardware design of the phone (e.g., the position of the wireless antenna), or certain software that caused the phone to operate the transmission or reception in high power.

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,631 of 3,665
It is not required unless you run into some trouble with your existing setup. If your setup works fine right now, you don't need the new driver. The USB Audio 2.0 drivers provided by Windows 10 or 11 work fines in general, but it didn't support advanced features such as ASIO.

There is no need to install USB Audio Driver for Linux setup.
At work, I'm mainly listening to 48KHz YouTube videos.

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2,632 of 3,665

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #2,634 of 3,665
What is an unsafe level of hotness for the dongle. And what causes it.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #2,635 of 3,665
Is there a way to give clean output to the ru6 ?

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #2,636 of 3,665
I’m back!!!!!! I just laid the amp down for a few months and never touched it. I’ve been happy-ish with my iPhone source as it’s the most reliable thing I have. But… my amp has a short in it. That’s what the issue with mine has been. 😢😢😢😢😢😢

I don’t know if @MusicTeck will exchange it or if I should just throw it in the trash. Or I’ll sell the amp plus a 7 pin balanced cable from JH for $200 obo. (I have no clue what to sell it for. I’m not trying to screw anyone.) I have the USBc connector also from Cayin.

I’m sorry to have disappeared for so long… but I was 100% over the whole thing at the time. Done.

Zach

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,637 of 3,665
Any owners of ThieAudio Oracle or Excalibur here? How does it pair with the RU6? I'm planing to get one of these IEMs.

As someone who thinks Blessing 2 is a bit shouty and bright, do you think I'll have issues with Oracle or Excalibur? or would pairing it with my RU6 balance things out in the higher frequencies.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,638 of 3,665
Hello my RU6 don't work with my phone, I plug it into the type c of the phone and nothing happens, this just started few minutes ago, before that when I plug it the uapp popped and the dongle was on.. Is no a RU6 problem because it works when I connect it to my sp2000, is there something that I can do?

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #2,640 of 3,665
I think I’m just going to throw the RU6 in the trash and never go down this route again. I don’t want to have to deal with throwing more money at it on sending it in and everything like that. I just don’t. I’m sorry I’ve had such a horrid experience with this device. When it works? It’s amazing. Otherwise? It’s literally a brick. 😢😢😢😢

@Andykong

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back