Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 16, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #2,521 of 3,685
In such a market where audio players are already a special niche, one does oneself no favors by naming one's products, which vary greatly in specs, almost identical. In addition, "new" is also rather misleading because it automatically suggests something better.
Looking at the offer now, its maybe misunderstandings. I think called this device 'New' is quite right, when U keep in mind... that first R6 is launch ca. 2017-2018, then R6 Pro :) year or two later.

May 16, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,523 of 3,685
So give it another name or number.
I'm not related to hiby :p, but DAPs lineup with those numbers is known from "years" from e.g 2/3/5/6/8, Pro or not... and corresponding to price points... tech specs.

May 17, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #2,524 of 3,685
How does compared the sound between the HiBy RS6 or Cayin N6ii (with R01 board)? I would get the RS6 for around 700€ maybe i would give it a try
Have not heard the N6ii (read it's an improvement over RU6 on multiple posts). I did get the chance to play with the RS6 and it definitely is an improvement over RU6. A few things I noticed after the first few minutes of listening to the device were

1. It's a lot more weightier sound, like vocals and bass feel more solid and weighty.
2. Bass hits harder than RU6
3. Instrument separation and placement was better.
4. Was able to drive Headphones with more authority.

there were other improvements but the above were the first things that hit me.
my hope was that the RU6 could keep up with the other DAPs and deliver a similarly good sound due to the hardware savings such as processor, screen, battery etc. then I will get the HiBy RS6 and compare. could you tell me what sound I get compared to the RU6
Above points.

Personally, I'm not a fan of DAPs so, I'm waiting for some brand to release a portable R2R DAC, something in the same league as iDSD Signature, Mojo 2.... RU6 is an mazing device for the price and at the moment, I'll recommend it to death but it has it's issues like battery drain, power (for headphones), weight (for a dongle).

May 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,525 of 3,685
Have not heard the N6ii (read it's an improvement over RU6 on multiple posts). I did get the chance to play with the RS6 and it definitely is an improvement over RU6. A few things I noticed after the first few minutes of listening to the device were

1. It's a lot more weightier sound, like vocals and bass feel more solid and weighty.
2. Bass hits harder than RU6
3. Instrument separation and placement was better.
4. Was able to drive Headphones with more authority.
Many of the points may be attributed to the amp section tho. I run my RU6 thru WA8 and it's right up there with high end DAPs imo

May 17, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #2,526 of 3,685
Many of the points may be attributed to the amp section tho. I run my RU6 thru WA8 and it's right up there with high end DAPs imo
I'm not so sure about that. I have tried an external Amp (xDSD Gryphon & Topping A30 Pro) and while I was not able to directly compare RU6 (w/ external Amp) vs RS6, I did a thorough test of just the RU6 vs RS6 and to my ears RS6 is definitely better than RU6, as it should be for the price.

The problem with pairing an external Amp to the RU6 was that I noticed some distortion (RU6 Volume at 85 Low Gain, also tested at 100). Let's assume, adding WA8 or C9 would bring RU6 more inline with high-end DAPs, but then if you are spending so much, why not get an R2R DAP/DAC? much more portable overall and affordable right? and you'll have Line-Out capability to connect to external Amps without distortion.

Again, I like my RU6, it's better than any of the dongle DACs I've tried and in some cases, better than a few budget portable DACs too. It has become my everyday carry but it's just not something that'll replace higher-end DACs/DAPs when it comes to sound IMO.

May 17, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #2,527 of 3,685
There's two major factors in r2r decoders, the total number of resistors and the precision of the matching of the resistors, ru6 is the most budget friendly entry into r2r and while it sounds very nice coming from budget tier delta sigma dacs, it is a clear step down from hiby or the r01, which are fairly close in performance to each other

The number of resistors shouldn't matter, the bit depth determined the number of resistors. I suppose most implementations will aim at 24bit (16-bit is not a good selling point and 32-bit is impossible to implement within practical budget) and that means 96 resistors for a stereo circuit. no more and no less.

If I have to list the critical success factor to R2R implementation, I would suggest the following three in the same priority:

(1) High Precision of resistor
(2) Low TCR resistors
(3) Low jitter high precision DDC (Audio Bridge in RU6 or R01 design framework)

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 17, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #2,528 of 3,685
Thanks for this tip - I was wearing out my volume buttons going between my IEM listening level of 30ish and my amp input volume level of 100. Why do you recommend the 70 to 85 range?

When you double amp, you want to:
  • maximize the dynamic range
  • minimize the noise/distortion of the final output
  • provide an output that is close enough to the default line out, that is 2V for single-ended and 4V for balanced.

If you set the volume to 50 or below, the noise and distortion are very low, but the output is not meeting the required level which means you have underfed that amplifier in the second part of the signal chain. If you set the volume to 100, you get maximum dynamic and the output level, but the noise and distortion will be fairly high, and you lost the black background and the final output probably will sound fatigued.

As I mentioned previously, the volume sweet spot is a variable that depends on the matching with your amplifier, it can be the gain ratio of your amplifier, or it can be the Signal/Noise ratio that affects your final setting. Or in a uncommon situation, you need to go beyond the range I suggested, this is not a black-on-white rule that always works.

Last edited:

May 17, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2,529 of 3,685
I'm not so sure about that. I have tried an external Amp (xDSD Gryphon & Topping A30 Pro) and while I was not able to directly compare RU6 (w/ external Amp) vs RS6, I did a thorough test of just the RU6 vs RS6 and to my ears RS6 is definitely better than RU6, as it should be for the price.

The problem with pairing an external Amp to the RU6 was that I noticed some distortion (RU6 Volume at 85 Low Gain, also tested at 100). Let's assume, adding WA8 or C9 would bring RU6 more inline with high-end DAPs, but then if you are spending so much, why not get an R2R DAP/DAC? much more portable overall and affordable right? and you'll have Line-Out capability to connect to external Amps without distortion.

Again, I like my RU6, it's better than any of the dongle DACs I've tried and in some cases, better than a few budget portable DACs too. It has become my everyday carry but it's just not something that'll replace higher-end DACs/DAPs when it comes to sound IMO.

If you roll up and read the two posts immediately before this one, you'll notice there are digital audio issues that differentiate a decent R2R implementation (such as R01) from a budgeted R2R implementation (such as RU6). So it can be a lot more than the amplifier section.

On the other hand, I have avoided getting involved in the discussion on RU6 + external amplifier in the very beginning, but then I find out that I can't. The topic is too popular, I receive too many PM, and users are going to try it anyway. So I have provided some simple guidelines HERE, and it so happened that Volume at 85 is the upper limit of my recommendation and volume at 100 is definitely not recommended.

Having said that, I still hold the point that RU6 is not an ideal line-out source. If you have an amplifier lying around, no harm to give it a try. However, I don't recommend something to buy a new amplifier and using the RU6 as the DAC of a larger system.

May 17, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #2,530 of 3,685
The number of resistors shouldn't matter, the bit depth determined the number of resistors. I suppose most implementations will aim at 24bit (16-bit is not a good selling point and 32-bit is impossible to implement within practical budget) and that means 96 resistors for a stereo circuit. no more and no less.

If I have to list the critical success factor to R2R implementation, I would suggest the following three in the same priority:

(1) High Precision of resistor
(2) Low TCR resistors
(3) Low jitter high precision DDC (Audio Bridge in RU6 or R01 design framework)
Pic is the luxury and precision p6 r2r ladders, 2x100 resistors, 200 total discrete resistors used in decoding

Attachments

• R2R-P6.jpg
    R2R-P6.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
May 17, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,531 of 3,685
Pic is the luxury and precision p6 r2r ladders, 2x100 resistors, 200 total discrete resistors used in decoding
Can't comment on the implementation of a competitor, but the R-2R design is well-documented, you can cross-check through Google.

Last edited:

May 17, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #2,532 of 3,685
On the other hand, I have avoided getting involved in the discussion on RU6 + external amplifier in the very beginning, but then I find out that I can't. The topic is too popular, I receive too many PM, and users are going to try it anyway. So I have provided some simple guidelines HERE, and it so happened that Volume at 85 is the upper limit of my recommendation and volume at 100 is definitely not recommended.
I don't think people are buying the RU6 to use with amplifiers... but for owners of the RU6, because we like it so much, we are finding ways to use it in our other chains. And despite not having a proper LO, it's surprisingly good. I've successfully used it at 100 volume with no discernible distortion using my headphones and IEMs. But of course YMMV.

If I'm going out with my laptop in tow, I find myself reaching for the RU6 and my WA8 to bring along (often just the RU6), rather than a DAP. I almost never use it with my phone. The RU6 is one of the most versatile piece of audio equipment in my tiny arsenal. Strangely I did not feel the same with the W2 hmmm

May 18, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #2,535 of 3,685
Wide stage, a little bold bass and blooming silky smooth mid, NOS mod pair well with hd800s in both straight driving or via a head amp.
Ru6 does have optical in, what a pity I must turn on head amp when I use my LG HU85LS to watch netflix, youtube...
HDVD800 includes a PCM1792A dac chip inside, so RU6 may not really need. But I guess who own an HDVA600 which is a pure amp, RU6 may be a need.
When double-amping I heard output to be blurry in compairison with straight driven by ru6, but it still enough to enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back