Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Feb 23, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,086 of 3,665
Not sure if it's EMI because I put my phone in airplane mode and that noise was still there.
So if noise still there with a litght app (example VLC) while your source in flight mode, I think you should return and do another order (yes, ru6 but other one).
At first check if you got hissing, normal phenomenal when high power dap drives high sensivity iem.
Btw my IT00 catch zero hissing from my ru6

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,087 of 3,665
Few words about RU6, vs LG V60, W2, Dragonfly Cobalt, Mojo. Using 64 Audio U12 IEM.
(For LG V60, I use UAPP, and turn on 'RAW' of HiRes driver flags. This will by-pass the 3 LG HiFi filter settings. I feel its result is similar to set RU6 to NOS mode)
1645636150678.jpeg

(The following is RU6 in NOS mode, LG V60 in LG HiFi filters OFF mode)
  • Is the sound 'true', artifact-free? RU6: yes, absolutely. I can hear no artifacts, unrealistic feelings that can be found in Delta sigma dacs. 10/10
    W2 and Mojo: sometimes I can hear some artifacts, some unrealistic instrument presentation 7. LG V60: everything is correct and realistic as RU6, it's hard to achieve this by DS 10/10. Cobalt: similar sound as LG V60, 9/10
  • Bass quality? RU6: great density, however I feel it is not deep and linear enough, and a little bumped. 8/10.
    LG V60: perfect, fast, linear, deep and right amount. 10/10. Cobalt: great, a little bumped. 7/10. W2: a little boosted, not deep and linear enough. 7/10. Mojo: not deep enough. 7/10
  • Details, resolution? RU6: great, it's not blurred or anything, and the amount of information is balanced through-out the frequency range. when listening to RU6 I don't feel I miss anything. But compared to it, DS dacs can push crazy amount of details to my face. So from listening experience point of view, RU6 should be 10/10. But for technical comparison, it should be 5/10.
    LG V60: absolute TOTL amount of information, details. it is absolutly transparent, direct, no information is missing at all. at the same time there is no digital feeling, it is not clinical at all. LG V60 is just amazing. 10/10
    Cobalt: although it is DS, but it is not very detailed. 5/10 W2: great amount of information, I think technically it's chip's ability is == LG V60, however I feel that a little bit filter has been applied, so it's detail level is slightly lower than V60. 9/10 Mojo: great, 7/10
  • Sound stage? RU6: great. 9/10
    LG V60: great. 9/10 Cobalt: small. 5/10 W2: great, 8/10 Mojo: magical, life-like, widest. 10/10
  • Tonal balance? RU6: good, but bass is a little bumped. 8/10
    LG V60: reference level correct. 10/10 Cobalt: bass is boosted. 7/10 W2 and Mojo: bass is not linear and deep enough 5,6

The following is subjective, higher score mean it is 'better' or 'worse' depends on personal preference:
  • Realistic and refined highs? RU6:in NOS mode, highs are truethful reproduction of the recording. So, for bad recordings, it can be 'grainy' and 'digital'. 5/10. For bad recordings if turn on OS mode, it will filter out all the 'digital' and 'grainy' feeling, making it just perfectly smooth and musical. 7/10
    (NOS mode is more truethful, more information, better sound stage and bass. So I use NOS by default for every album, but will try OS mode to see if it can make this album much more 'realistic', if yes, then I will use OS for this album, otherwise NOS is the best.)
    LG V60, similar to RU6, I can turn on the filter and turn off the filter, get different result. 5 and 7
    Cobalt: no filter setting. it has some grainy feeling on bad recordings. 6/10
    W2: has 'magic' filter, making highs really refined and realistic feeling. 9/10
    Mojo: it's filter is not as 'magic' and 'high-end' feeling as W2. 7/10
  • Musical like listening to tape? RU6: nope. it is direct, true, but nothing like tape. 6/10
    LG V60: nope. it is absolutly truthful, not like tape. 5/10
    Cobalt: it is fine. 7/10. W2: musical. 8/10. Mojo: Amazing, it is like listening to tape! 10/10
1645639307377.png

What I like the most, used most often?
1. RU6. although I gave LG V60 higher scores, but RU6 is more energetic, mids and lows are denser, it make music more exciting and enjoyable than V60.
2. Mojo. tape-like feeling is fun and reminds me of old-school times.

What is the most under-estimated, under-discussed DAC?
LG V60! Maybe I am just crazy. If I am not crazy, then LG V60 really deserve some attention and serious reviews.
I feel it is a reference level, amazing DAC.

(I have had Hugo 2 for awhile. It is in between Mojo and LG V60. Compared to Mojo, Hugo 2 is moving toward the direction of V60 (more details and truthful, less musical), but hasn't really achieved V60 yet. If Mojo is 1, V60 is 10, then Hugo 2 is at 8 or 9. I sold Hugo 2 because I already have the two ends: Mojo and V60, I don't see why I need to keep something in the middle.)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,088 of 3,665
Few words about RU6, vs LG V60, W2, Dragonfly Cobalt, Mojo. Using 64 Audio U12 IEM.
(For LG V60, I use UAPP, and turn on 'RAW' of HiRes driver flags. This will by-pass the 3 LG HiFi filter settings. I feel its result is similar to set RU6 to NOS mode)
1645636150678.jpeg

• Is the sound 'true', artifact-free? RU6: yes, absolutely. I can hear no artifacts, unrealistic feelings that can be found in Delta sigma dacs. 10/10
    W2 and Mojo: sometimes I can hear some artifacts, some unrealistic instrument presentation 7. LG V60: everything is correct and realistic as RU6, it's hard to achieve this by DS 10/10. Cobalt: similar sound as LG V60, 9/10
  • Bass quality? RU6: great density, however I feel it is not deep and linear enough, and a little bumped. 8/10.
    LG V60: perfect, fast, linear, deep and right amount. 10/10. Cobalt: great, a little bumped. 7/10. W2: a little boosted, not deep and linear enough. 7/10. Mojo: not deep enough. 7/10
  • Details, resolution? RU6: great, it's not blurred or anything, and the amount of information is balanced through-out the frequency range. when listening to RU6 I don't feel I miss anything. But compared to it, DS dacs can push crazy amount of details to my face. So from listening experience point of view, RU6 should be 10/10. But for technical comparison, it should be 5/10.
    LG V60: absolute TOTL amount of information, details. it is absolutly transparent, direct, no information is missing at all. at the same time there is no digital feeling, it is not clinical at all. LG V60 is just amazing. 10/10
    Cobalt: although it is DS, but it is not very detailed. 5/10 W2: great amount of information, I think technically it's chip's ability is == LG V60, however I feel that a little bit filter has been applied, so it's detail level is slightly lower than V60. 9/10 Mojo: great, 7/10
    LG V60: great. 9/10 Cobalt: small. 5/10 W2: great, 8/10 Mojo: magical, life-like, widest. 10/10
    LG V60: reference level correct. 10/10 Cobalt: bass is boosted. 7/10 W2 and Mojo: bass is not linear and deep enough 5,6

The following is subjective, higher score mean it is 'better' or 'worse' depends on personal preference:
  • Realistic and refined highs? RU6:in NOS mode, highs are truethful reproduction of the recording. So, for bad recordings, it can be 'grainy' and 'digital'. 5/10. For bad recordings if turn on OS mode, it will filter out all the 'digital' and 'grainy' feeling, making it just perfectly smooth and musical. 7/10
    (NOS mode is more truethful, more information, better sound stage and bass. So I use NOS by default for every album, but will try OS mode to see if it can make this album much more 'realistic', if yes, then I will use OS for this album, otherwise NOS is the best.)
    LG V60, similar to RU6, I can turn on the filter and turn off the filter, get different result. 5 and 7
  • Musical like listening to tape? RU6: nope. it is direct, true, but nothing like tape. 6/10
    Cobalt: it is fine. 7/10. W2: musical. 8/10. Mojo: Amazing, it is like listening to tape! 10/10
1645639307377.png

(I have had Hugo 2 for awhile. It is in between Mojo and LG V60. Compared to Mojo, Hugo 2 is moving toward the direction of V60 (more details and truthful, less musical), but hasn't really achieved V60 yet. If Mojo is 1, V60 is 10, then Hugo 2 is at 8 or 9. I sold Hugo 2 because I already have the two ends: Mojo and V60, I don't see why I need to keep something in the middle.)
Great write-up! Can you describe "musical" in a different way than listening to tape though? Not sure what you're referring to here. Tnx...

drftr

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,090 of 3,665
Great write-up! Can you describe "musical" in a different way than listening to tape though? Not sure what you're referring to here. Tnx...

drftr
'musical', I think I mean: better flow continuity, warmth, smooth, life like.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,092 of 3,665
1645636150678.jpeg

1645639307377.png

What I like the most, used most often?
1. RU6. although I gave LG V60 higher scores, but RU6 is more energetic, mids and lows are denser, it make music more exciting and enjoyable than V60.
2. Mojo. tape-like feeling is fun and reminds me of old-school times.

What is the most under-estimated, under-discussed DAC?
LG V60! Maybe I am just crazy. If I am not crazy, then LG V60 really deserve some attention and serious reviews.
I feel it is a reference level, amazing DAC.

I don' t know lg v60 but had v30 and have v50. I think no big differencies between models. I agree with your opinion. I found lg models better with sensible and with low impedance iems. But for example i found ibasso dc05 superior to my lg in terms of ds performance. In the end i prefere ru6 ober other stuffs

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #2,094 of 3,665
LG V30 Quad DAC is very good, but not as good as L&P W2 or even ES100 MK2. But may be whatever they packed into V60 is a true miracle?
I don't think so. I heard small differencies between lg v50 and v30 due probably to meridian algoritm

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #2,095 of 3,665
LG V30 Quad DAC is very good, but not as good as L&P W2 or even ES100 MK2. But may be whatever they packed into V60 is a true miracle?

I don't think so. I heard small differencies between lg v50 and v30 due probably to meridian algoritm
I have used LG v10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60. Technically the difference is V60 used a different chip than other models: ESS 9219. From paper, this chip integrated all the peripheral circuits, removed the need of any manufacture tuning. (ESS chip is famous for it is hard for manufactures to design peripheral circuits, hard to tune the sound)

All other LG V models sounded more similar than different, sound is great but: 1) sometimes can hear unrealistic instruments, 2) I like LG tuning than B&O and Meridian tuning, they make it even more unrealistic, and not balanced frequency response, 3) these 3 hi-fi filters, none of them is perfect, cause some uncomfortness.

When I first listen to V60: the sound is very different than other Vs. It is vinyl like feeling (analog with great details), and all instruments are rendered correctly, I can not find anything unrealistic.
However its highs is fatiguing to me, it is a strange kind if fatigue, feels like software bug.
Later I found out using UAPP and set 'RAW' flag can disable these 3 hi-fi filters, the sound is like turning on NOS mode. And 1) sound is more direct, the uncomfortable feeling of the 3 filters disappeared. 2) highs fatiguing issue solved.
3) less 'analog' feeling. More grains on bad recording.
(Now after 1+ year use, several OTA firmware upgrades, there is no more highs fatigue issue even if turning on the 3 filters. Maybe one of the OTA update solved the issue)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #2,097 of 3,665
I have been using my trusty apple dongle because it serves me the best. Now I’m not happy. I’ve dealt with this ever since this fiasco… I’ve given up on the amp and let it just sit… I’m sick of the issues. I think I found the culprit…. It’s a short in the son of a bitch. I know I cant return it… cause I would in a heartbeat… along with my balanced cable…. Yeah…. Not happy. 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢 I’m close to just throwing it away now.

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,099 of 3,665
No wonder it got soooooooo so hot to the touch… I’ll call musictek tomorrow and see about returning for a full refund. I’ll do a desktop amp at this point… as this is hardly portable in the first place. I’m sorry it came to this… but… here we are. I refuse to throw another single dime to this amp/dac combo thing.

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,100 of 3,665
No wonder it got soooooooo so hot to the touch… I’ll call musictek tomorrow and see about returning for a full refund. I’ll do a desktop amp at this point… as this is hardly portable in the first place. I’m sorry it came to this… but… here we are. I refuse to throw another single dime to this amp/dac combo thing.
I haven't met this issue, here I am in winter, room temperature ~24C, RU6 gets warm, but never hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back