Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,846 of 3,665
It was surprising to me! I understand that it’s debatable as to whether most expensive dongle DACs can resolve 20bits, but his measurements would imply the RU6 can barely resolve 16bits (CD quality)…
If I recall properly, not even the best DACs are capable of resolving 24 bits. 16 bits are enough for most content though.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,848 of 3,665
Maybe you are outside of
return window, but you are still under warranty. Since nobody else having this issue, just contact the place where you purchased it to get a replacement.

Another thing, I remember the whole saga of you going through half a dozen of different charging cables and splitters trying to listen and charge at the same time, using different off brand or whatever, splitters, adapters, etc. Not rulling out something didn't burn out.

But right now, if you are just using a simple connection with your iPhone, usb-c to lightning otg cable and RU6, does it still get warm? Forget about splitters and charging while listening. Let's get down to basic connection.
Right now I’m omitting the RU6. It’s in the box. I’m using phone -apple branded lightning to headphone jack- 3.5mm unbalanced cable… to JH Laylas.

Nothing there to get hot.

Nothing was complicated with the other process…

Phone… apple camera adaptor that splits into lightning charger and USB. Go from usb to the Cayin usb to USBc converter (included with the RU6) to the Cayin USBc to USBc cord… included with the RU6… to the RU6 DAC/amp dongle… to 4.4 mm balanced cable from JH audio… to Laylas.

My Laylas and all supplied cables have been sent to JH. Nothing wrong there.

I have purchased the adaptor a couple of weeks ago.. brand new from apple…

I purchased the dongle thing… apple… lightning to headphone adaptor yesterday.

I can at least listen to my Laylas now.

When the RU6 works… it sounds anazing

When it cuts out… or just doesn’t work… well… it’s dead to me. It’s currently in the box.

I’m burned out on this, honestly. Done.

I was hoping for a nice sounding system… that is portable, that’s reliable… I’ve paid good money to have. And well…. Obviously it’s not the case. 😢😢😢😢😢

So, tell me where I went wrong here.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #1,850 of 3,665
How so? Were those measurements so much surprising to you?
Hehe :)
Yes, it was. It made me think how small of a difference DACs actually do to our musical enjoyment, no matter if they measure crazy good or worse than a 80s' CD player, as was mentioned in the review. And that the differences ppl report on from different dacs, amps or cables most probably aren't night and day (as so many ppl write) but really only nuances, if any.
From a psychological standpoint I can understand that someone who spent a lot of money (what accounts for a lot of course varies from person 2 person) in gear that is not a headphone or speaker did so for an improvement in sound, and nobody wants to throw out money for no change, so ppl many times imagine it.
I remember when I bought almost 10y ago my first DAC/Amp (Fiio E18), I really wanted to be blown away from the sound and expected a huge change from the sound of my phones Headphone out and sticked to it, but deep inside I was disappointed and hoped for more. Maybe thats whats keeping people buying more and newer stuff, the search, like that first time on molly lol
Man I even remember that had a Uptown Regen that was supposed to change everything, and in the Regen thread were those who swore even more night and day differences when using a LPS for it... I call that wishful hearing :D

Well, lets see if I'll order a Mojo2 in the next 48 h :)

Right now I’m omitting the RU6. It’s in the box. I’m using phone -apple branded lightning to headphone jack- 3.5mm unbalanced cable… to JH Laylas.
The apple dongle is one of the best in terms of value for money, is very convenient and it measures incredible, just not much power

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,851 of 3,665

Nothing there to get hot.

Nothing was complicated with the other process…

Phone… apple camera adaptor that splits into lightning charger and USB. Go from usb to the Cayin usb to USBc converter (included with the RU6) to the Cayin USBc to USBc cord… included with the RU6… to the RU6 DAC/amp dongle… to 4.4 mm balanced cable from JH audio… to Laylas.

My Laylas and all supplied cables have been sent to JH. Nothing wrong there.

I have purchased the adaptor a couple of weeks ago.. brand new from apple…

I purchased the dongle thing… apple… lightning to headphone adaptor yesterday.

I can at least listen to my Laylas now.

When the RU6 works… it sounds anazing

When it cuts out… or just doesn’t work… well… it’s dead to me. It’s currently in the box.

I’m burned out on this, honestly. Done.

I was hoping for a nice sounding system… that is portable, that’s reliable… I’ve paid good money to have. And well…. Obviously it’s not the case. 😢😢😢😢😢

So, tell me where I went wrong here.

Sorry, I think you missed my point. I'm just trying to help you with troubleshooting of your problem. When you are using splitters, adapters, different ways of side-charging, different cables, etc. you are introducing too many variables between your phone and your RU6. If you do care, after all, this is not some budget $25 dongle, simplify it down to your iPhone, RU6 and something like Cayin's own $19 usb-c to lightning short OTG interconnect cable. Does it work without hiccups and running cool as expected? Then, when you start adding more stuff in-between, if possible, do one thing at a time, to figure out root cause of your problem. Even if you got some adapter/splitter with input for external charging, don't connect yet the charger, see how it work and if it starts to overheat without it.

Like I said before, your product is still under warranty, and you should contact the retailer who sold it to you, but they will probably ask you similar troubleshooting questions.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,852 of 3,665
Hehe :)
Yes, it was. It made me think how small of a difference DACs actually do to our musical enjoyment, no matter if they measure crazy good or worse than a 80s' CD player, as was mentioned in the review. And that the differences ppl report on from different dacs, amps or cables most probably aren't night and day (as so many ppl write) but really only nuances, if any.
From a psychological standpoint I can understand that someone who spent a lot of money (what accounts for a lot of course varies from person 2 person) in gear that is not a headphone or speaker did so for an improvement in sound, and nobody wants to throw out money for no change, so ppl many times imagine it.
I remember when I bought almost 10y ago my first DAC/Amp (Fiio E18), I really wanted to be blown away from the sound and expected a huge change from the sound of my phones Headphone out and sticked to it, but deep inside I was disappointed and hoped for more. Maybe thats whats keeping people buying more and newer stuff, the search, like that first time on molly lol
Man I even remember that had a Uptown Regen that was supposed to change everything, and in the Regen thread were those who swore even more night and day differences when using a LPS for it... I call that wishful hearing :D

Well, lets see if I'll order a Mojo2 in the next 48 h :)

The apple dongle is one of the best in terms of value for money, is very convenient and it measures incredible, just not much power
I kinda disagree with you. Everyone hears differently, but I know I can identify all my DACs instantly. They all sound different and I know each sound signature really well.

How a given pair of headphones sound is heavily impacted by the DAC being used.
Amps are mostly transparent as they should always be.

I think brain burn-in is real in a way. We get used to each incremental improvement in sound quality and it's difficult to go back to something that sound worse.

The only way to identify a bad headphones reliably is to compare it to a better sounding one.

That's why reviewers might destroy a headphones or DAC that you really like. At first, you will think they are crazy, but they only do that because they have heard much better, unlike the rest of us, who can't afford to try every new model.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,853 of 3,665
I ordered a KAEI TAP-1S Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Amp & Desktop Power Supply on 12-JAN-22, and it arrived in the mail on Friday.
It's got 4x tubes in the preamp, 2x socketed op-amps in the driver stage, and the output stage apparently uses discrete transistors (to provide up to 1.5-W/Ch in portable mode, and 2.45-W/Ch in desktop mode).

Really enjoying listening to YouTube videos and FLAC tracks, using my RU6 in NOS mode.

Signal Path: Linux PC (Chrome Browser / JRiver MC28) [USB-A] -> [USB-C] Cayin RU6 NOS R-2R DAC (Volume = 100) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [4.4mm TRRRS] Kaei TAP-1S (Desktop / Tube mode) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> 4.4mm TRRRS -to- 2.5mm TRS adapter -> various balanced earphones & earbuds

Jan 30, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #1,854 of 3,665
Yes, MT-601 is the pre-amp and Q3 is the amp.
The reason I connected them in this order is to be able to use the balanced output of the Q3. Focal Elegia just sound better with a balanced connection. (Or maybe I have never tried a really good single ended output).
Also I believe that tubes perform better when used at the pre-amp stage
Ah I see it makes sense now. I was not aware of 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm before. I can try that to connect my RU6 to my S2 Panda, and may be pre-amp with tube amp if I have a chance to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #1,855 of 3,665
I ordered a KAEI TAP-1S Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Amp & Desktop Power Supply on 12-JAN-22, and it arrived in the mail on Friday.
It's got 4x tubes in the preamp, 2x socketed op-amps in the driver stage, and the output stage apparently uses discrete transistors (to provide up to 1.5-W/Ch in portable mode, and 2.45-W/Ch in desktop mode).

Really enjoying listening to YouTube videos and FLAC tracks, using my RU6 in NOS mode.

Signal Path: Linux PC (Chrome Browser / JRiver MC28) [USB-A] -> [USB-C] Cayin RU6 NOS R-2R DAC (Volume = 100) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [4.4mm TRRRS] Kaei TAP-1S (Desktop / Tube mode) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> 4.4mm TRRRS -to- 2.5mm TRS adapter -> various balanced earphones & earbuds
Interesting device. But is it possible to change the tubes easily on that thing? Tube rolling is at least half of the fun with tube amps

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,856 of 3,665
Interesting device. But is it possible to change the tubes easily on that thing? Tube rolling is at least half of the fun with tube amps

No, the tubes are soldered to the circuit board.
I believe that the TAP-1S is using the same New Old Stock Raytheon JAN5784WB (VHF Radio Tube) tubes as the current Little Bear B4-X - probably since the availability of the JAN5899 (UHF Radio Tube), used in the first version of the B4-X, has been depleted. And, I don't think there are any direct cross reference replacement tubes available.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,857 of 3,665
Sorry, I think you missed my point. I'm just trying to help you with troubleshooting of your problem. When you are using splitters, adapters, different ways of side-charging, different cables, etc. you are introducing too many variables between your phone and your RU6. If you do care, after all, this is not some budget $25 dongle, simplify it down to your iPhone, RU6 and something like Cayin's own $19 usb-c to lightning short OTG interconnect cable. Does it work without hiccups and running cool as expected? Then, when you start adding more stuff in-between, if possible, do one thing at a time, to figure out root cause of your problem. Even if you got some adapter/splitter with input for external charging, don't connect yet the charger, see how it work and if it starts to overheat without it.

Like I said before, your product is still under warranty, and you should contact the retailer who sold it to you, but they will probably ask you similar troubleshooting questions.
I have the Cayin interconnect. I have literally everything Cayin or Apple. I have issues hearing, so the Cayin works with the phone alone… to a certain point. It cuts out. It does a bit better if the phone is charging at the same time, but alas… it still cuts out.

And I know it’s not some $25 dongle. I’m fully aware of that. I’m also fully aware that I’ve spent north of $2,000 for this set up, including the Laylas, and I’m stuck here using what’s 100% reliable… the iPhone dongle.. using the 3.5mm cable.

So… I literally have over $500 in stuff… sitting here.

RU6 $250

Adaptor $40 or so

Cayin cable $20 or so

Balanced cable from JH $200

This I’m aware of also.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,858 of 3,665
I have the Cayin interconnect. I have literally everything Cayin or Apple. I have issues hearing, so the Cayin works with the phone alone… to a certain point. It cuts out. It does a bit better if the phone is charging at the same time, but alas… it still cuts out.

And I know it’s not some $25 dongle. I’m fully aware of that. I’m also fully aware that I’ve spent north of $2,000 for this set up, including the Laylas, and I’m stuck here using what’s 100% reliable… the iPhone dongle.. using the 3.5mm cable.

RU6 $250

Adaptor $40 or so

Cayin cable $20 or so

This I’m aware of also.
Would suggest to RMA it , i guess the RU6 is malfunctioning

Contact the retailer they can help since it will be under warranty 😁

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,859 of 3,665
No, the tubes are soldered to the circuit board.
I believe that the TAP-1S is using the same New Old Stock Raytheon JAN5784WB (VHF Radio Tube) tubes as the current Little Bear B4-X - probably since the availability of the JAN5899 (UHF Radio Tube), used in the first version of the B4-X, has been depleted. And, I don't think there are any direct cross reference replacement tubes available.
Ok, too bad for tube rolling. I suppose it is not really feasible to have swappable tubes in a "portable" design.
I suppose it is a class A amp?

My listening tests are showing that the RU6 really prefers class A amplification. Class D amps seem to kill its imaging and soundstage, even though I really don't know how to explain this strange phenomenon.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,860 of 3,665

RU6 $250

Adaptor $40 or so

Cayin cable $20 or so

This I’m aware of also.
Welcome to my world. :) same thing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back