Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,681 of 3,686
For now, I'm satisfied with how the RU6 drives my Focal Elegia, even on low gain. I can't physically go further than 60 or 62% volume.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,682 of 3,686
Impedance is not a good sole-index to compare the laoding requirement of two headphones.

Wander which Shure headphone you are using? Shure SRH1540 is rated at 99 dB/mW at 46Ohm, SRH1840 is rated at 96 dB/ mW at 65 Ohms, so shall we use Shure SRH1540 as an example in our discussion?

The Sundara is rated at 94db/mW at 37Ω, that is 5dB lower in sensitivity when compare to Shure SRH1540. Electrically, we can rougly estimat that Sundara will required 3.16 times more power than Shure SRH1540. In addition, full size planar draws more current then dynamic drivers from the same impedance/sensitivity, so the Sundara can be even tougher if you take that into consideration.

But definitely, RU6 is not designed for full size headphones, they might work, but not necessarily desirable when compare to the performance of a decent desktop amplifier at the same price of your headphone.
I must applaud your candid openness on this subject Andykong. While you made that declaration of RU6 not designed for headphones, yet here I am still using my RU6 to drive my Fostex T40RP MK3 (50 Ohm, 91db sensitivity) magnetic planar which is even harder to drive than Sundara. And I am not missing anything by much if I am to switch to my iFi ZEN Stacks. Without being critical at A/B, RU6 is amazingly capable of satisfying performances. But then perhaps need to factor in that I have trained my ears to listen at lower loudness, perhaps it is different for people who prefer higher level of outright volume

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,683 of 3,686
Impedance is not a good sole-index to compare the laoding requirement of two headphones.

Wander which Shure headphone you are using? Shure SRH1540 is rated at 99 dB/mW at 46Ohm, SRH1840 is rated at 96 dB/ mW at 65 Ohms, so shall we use Shure SRH1540 as an example in our discussion?

The Sundara is rated at 94db/mW at 37Ω, that is 5dB lower in sensitivity when compare to Shure SRH1540. Electrically, we can rougly estimat that Sundara will required 3.16 times more power than Shure SRH1540. In addition, full size planar draws more current then dynamic drivers from the same impedance/sensitivity, so the Sundara can be even tougher if you take that into consideration.

But definitely, RU6 is not designed for full size headphones, they might work, but not necessarily desirable when compare to the performance of a decent desktop amplifier at the same price of your headphone.
Thank you straightening me out regarding the subtleties of understanding the fine points of audio.

Yes, mine are the SRH1540, and they sound excellent driven by the RU6. It appears I’ve been listening to Bluetooth for too long, but I’ll still save shopping for pairing with IEMs until next Christmas…

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,684 of 3,686
I must applaud your candid openness on this subject Andykong. While you made that declaration of RU6 not designed for headphones, yet here I am still using my RU6 to drive my Fostex T40RP MK3 (50 Ohm, 91db sensitivity) magnetic planar which is even harder to drive than Sundara. And I am not missing anything by much if I am to switch to my iFi ZEN Stacks. Without being critical at A/B, RU6 is amazingly capable of satisfying performances. But then perhaps need to factor in that I have trained my ears to listen at lower loudness, perhaps it is different for people who prefer higher level of outright volume
I replied similarly in the SRH1540 thread. The context was the difference and similarities of the 1540 v 940, and that many believe the 1540 is too warm. In fact, I thought so too the 1st time I tried them out at my usual listening level. However, this headphone/DAC/Amp marriage begs the question “Why am I at this listening level?” Dropping the volume lowers the dominance from the low end, and there’s no loss of detail and nuance due to the RU6”s unique control over volume. I imagine the RU6 has made lower volume listeners out of many of us…

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,685 of 3,686
”making a portable DAC allow you to use the microphone would, in my opinion, be a wise choice and a great selling point...because nowadays "portable" for such a device means connected to the smartphone.“

We can't achieve that without imposing negative implication to sound quality of the Dongle DAC. Have you identified any high-fidelity based Dongle DAC that offer this feature? Maybe we can learn from them?

I don't know any USB Dongle DAC have this feature. Bluetooth+USB hybrid DAC like Hiby R3 have this feature.
Personally I'd like dongles to have this feature. Because I use my 64 Audio U12 as every-day headphone with my phone, carry it all the time to do everything including making phone calls, tele-conferencing, etc. (I use 3.5mm single end IEM cable with microphone and volume control buttons. The sound quality of this calbe is actually quite excellent.)

If adding this feature will compromise sound quality, then don't add it.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #1,686 of 3,686

Thank you very much for the kind word.

Indeed, having administer shows and event for several years and meeting hundreds of headfiers in different environment, I noticed that the preferred listening level and ambience nosie level (especially for open-back headphones) contributes signifantly when we consider the issue of can or cannot drive something satisfactory. So someone like you who tends to listen at lower loudness and having the Sundara in an quiet personal office vs someone playing EDM at sitting room with household members and TV are totally different requirements.

Maybe my philosophy is slightly different, I think steering people away from inappropriate choice is as important as attracting potential customer from buying our product. If I pull someone onboard knowing this is a marginal case, and the case turn sour, he/she probably won't come back again. On the other hand, if I steer someone away so that he/she has a better music experience, I am sure I'll meet him/her again down the road and win him/her onboard for good.
:beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,687 of 3,686
Thank you straightening me out regarding the subtleties of understanding the fine points of audio.

Yes, mine are the SRH1540, and they sound excellent driven by the RU6. It appears I’ve been listening to Bluetooth for too long, but I’ll still save shopping for pairing with IEMs until next Christmas…

Next Christmas? You are a visionary, most HeadFiers are planning their shopping in month or even weeks, you are planning for next Christmas already.

Keeping looking out for new toys that will bring you closer to your music, maybe you'll find something interesting ealier than you expected. :wink:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #1,688 of 3,686
I don't know any USB Dongle DAC have this feature. Bluetooth+USB hybrid DAC like Hiby R3 have this feature.
Personally I'd like dongles to have this feature. Because I use my 64 Audio U12 as every-day headphone with my phone, carry it all the time to do everything including making phone calls, tele-conferencing, etc. (I use 3.5mm single end IEM cable with microphone and volume control buttons. The sound quality of this calbe is actually quite excellent.)

If adding this feature will compromise sound quality, then don't add it.
Perhaps I am misreading the requested feature description but it sounds like my FiiO BTR5. I'm not suggesting it's as innovative as RU6, but when working I connect it as USB DAC to my PC, also paired with my phone. I plug in my favorite IEM's, listen to music and if an incoming call comes in I can answer from the unit, using BTR5's built in mic for the call. It is quite nice to be able to listen to music while working w/o concern I'll miss a call due to being immersed in my music.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #1,690 of 3,686
I received my RU6 last week and i really enjoyed it so far. Very fluid and organic sound. Normally i want to use it as a interim solution until my Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Titanium arrives but seriously with my IEMs there is maybe no need for such an expensive DAP. Really impressive what Cayin did here...

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #1,691 of 3,686
I received my RU6 last week and i really enjoyed it so far. Very fluid and organic sound. Normally i want to use it as a interim solution until my Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Titanium arrives but seriously with my IEMs there is maybe no need for such an expensive DAP. Really impressive what Cayin did here...
i have solaris 2020. you listen solatris in s.e. or balanced?

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,692 of 3,686
i have solaris 2020. you listen solatris in s.e. or balanced?
In Balanced mode because i don't have a 3.5mm cable on hand at the moment :sweat_smile:

There is some hiss with the Solaris and it is not dead silent but it is okay.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #1,693 of 3,686
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #1,694 of 3,686

Keeping looking out for new toys that will bring you closer to your music, maybe you'll find something interesting ealier than you expected. :wink:
Not sure how to respond. Not all of us can afford the music we listen to, let alone the gear. I decided a long time ago (1971) to assign the priority to the library…

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,695 of 3,686
CSTB300shadowv2.png

Listen to Carmen Gomes - Sings the blues with the RU6 and my Campfire Solaris LE (Flowers) and it sounds bloody amazing! It feels to me that burn-in is really a thing with this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back