Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,652 of 3,686
Any chance of releasing an RU6 Pro version that isn't restricted by Apple power limitations? I listen from my laptop mostly, and can only imagine how good the RU6 with a better amp could sound. :)

That you don't have to imagine. RU6Pro = RU6 with better resistors, better amplifier and better audio bridge = R01. :wink:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #1,653 of 3,686
That you don't have to imagine. RU6Pro = RU6 with better resistors, better amplifier and better audio bridge = R01. :wink:
If you increased the size of the casing, would you be still able to include that quality of components in a USB dongle?

A slightly larger unit the size of a FiiO Q3 would be perfect for your next R2R dongle DAC in my opinion.

R2R sound so good that they don't have to be as small as chip based DACs if it means compromising sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,654 of 3,686
If you increased the size of the casing, would you be still able to include that quality of components in a USB dongle?

A slightly larger unit the size of a FiiO Q3 would be perfect for your next R2R dongle DAC in my opinion.

R2R sound so good that they don't have to be as small as chip based DACs if it means compromising sound quality.

Smaller size won't have a lot of implication to core digital circuit, budget is the bottleneck here. The thin film resistors of R01 and RU6 are the same size. We need to trim down the pre-DAC digital circuit ( Audio Bridge) but if you have high quality digital source, the difference is less significant.

Smaller size will limit the power supply and analogue circuit, especially output power.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,655 of 3,686
[…]
So the requirement is not unique to RU6, I am surprised that this information has not been widely spread given Dongle DAC is such a hot toic in 2021 and Cayin was infact a late comer to this category.
Hmmmm(?) … the optional Cayin OTG cable works just fine with my iPhone Xs, and only drops its battery ~10-15% per hour(?)

Edit: Hmmm(?) … my apologies… I thought I had responded to a post claiming his iPhone was being drained in only a couple of hours, and had given up on the RU6… FRIG!…

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,656 of 3,686
I'm using mine primarily with tablet / phone for video duties and have noticed that it constantly pops when source is paused / played / changed. When there's something playing it's a non issue but rather annoying in between. Is this common?

Also getting significant static interference on both devices at low volume regardless of cable used.

It stands out as I didn't get this with S1...
Did you ever solve the interference? Does cable swapping help? I’m getting significant interference when using my iPhone- which is disappointing.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,657 of 3,686
Did you ever solve the interference? Does cable swapping help? I’m getting significant interference when using my iPhone- which is disappointing.
I did. Solved it by swapping it out for an S2. :)

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,658 of 3,686
I barely have interference with mine, mostly coming from the OTG cable. RU6 is much much better than my old S1 , that was unusable.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,659 of 3,686
I barely have interference with mine, mostly coming from the OTG cable. RU6 is much much better than my old S1 , that was unusable.
I picked up a new cable to see if it'll help.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,660 of 3,686
Thanks, Andykong, for the answer. It tells more that it says )) I won't touch the subject anymore. Or almost anymore. ))

For users who want to maintain the "quality"of original sampling frequency, the NOS option will provide that option already.

But, again, not for DSD stream, where frequencies never match - NOS or OS regardles...

By the way, does R01 board follows the same frequencies conversion rules?

Any chances/plans to make a PCIe docking DAC board able to accommodate R01/T01/E02 ? That one I would buy in an instance!

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #1,663 of 3,686
What have you heard about the RU6 high gain and why you think it is not good?

Wondering if he meant not enough power to drive those demanding headphones?

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #1,665 of 3,686
I think I saw some earlier threads stating the SQ in High gain mode is not nice. So I think if I buy it, I will stick to Low Gain setting but then I am not sure if it would be powerful enough to drive Headphone.... If anyone has any actual usage experience, it would be great to hear from you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back