Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #1,621 of 3,686
Hello,
I have good news: after rebooting my Macbook Pro, I'm not getting sound cuts anymore with RU6. I can't explain why but it looks my RU6 does not have any problem. Now let burn-in starts. I will give my impressions after 100h
Can't go wrong with the classic "turn if off, unplug, wait 30 seconds, plug it back, turn it back on" fix to anything computer related issues LOL.

But very happy to hear you got it sorted out.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,622 of 3,686
Can't go wrong with the classic "turn if off, unplug, wait 30 seconds, plug it back ,turn it back on" fix to anything computer related issues LOL.
Things have evolved. In the past, we had to format the pc to fix these issues LOL

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,623 of 3,686
Actually I am using the cable that comes with RU6. When I use it with my iPhone, I have no problem. There might be a compatibility issue with Macbook. I have the latest Macbook Pro
Using my iphone, I don't have to increase the volume as much as Macbook, but the sound is still congested. When I A/B compare with Dragonfly Cobalt, it is very clear that Cobalt opens-up the sound much more and has a much better soundstage. Will the burn-in significantly improve the sound of RU6? I will see, but so far I'm not convinced by RU6
A similar behavior exist on Android that is comparable with what you're describing on Macbook.
When the DAC receive the wrong sample rate, the sound is weak and very bad quality.
You have to make sure that the DAC is able to bypass the fixed system-wide sample rate, typically 48khz on Android.
As soon as it can do that, it will sound fantastic in NOS or OS mode

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,624 of 3,686
A similar behavior exist on Android that is comparable with what you're describing on Macbook.
When the DAC receive the wrong sample rate, the sound is weak and very bad quality.
You have to make sure that the DAC is able to bypass the fixed system-wide sample rate, typically 48khz on Android.
As soon as it can do that, it will sound fantastic in NOS or OS mode
This sounds like an idea that would typically calls for tweaks in the Mac's audio midi settings, if I'm reading this correctly. I am glad the OP has been able to get the problem resolved with a simple reboot.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #1,625 of 3,686
I used RU6 with an IEM that does not require a lot of power, but still I have to increase the volume to 70 to have enough juice. If RU6 is not powerful enough for an IEM, I can't imagine this thing can be used with headphones
Out os the box, RU6 is disappointing. Bass overlaps with mids and soundstage is very narrow. Separation of instruments is not there. Sub-bass and mids are forward. RU6 struggles in busy songs where there are a lof instruments and vocals. I hope that with burn-in, things will get better, otherwise it will go back
What IEM do you use? with 64 Audio U12 I use volume 15~22, low gain. (in balanced mode, volume 10~20)

Regarding sound quality, balanced mode will have better clarity and less congested.
And give it more listen. Comparing to great DS dacs, RU6 doesn't win on details, it wins on 'presentation'

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,626 of 3,686
Hello,
I have good news: after rebooting my Macbook Pro, I'm not getting sound cuts anymore with RU6. I can't explain why but it looks my RU6 does not have any problem. Now let burn-in starts. I will give my impressions after 100h
Glad your problem is solved. Looks like your MacBook Pro couldn't recognise the dongle until reboot. Your impression sounds like turning down the volume of my mobile phone to below 50, may be we can learn from your experience and be able to help new comers better down the road.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,627 of 3,686
RU6 arrived 3 days ago and I'm curious about something. If I use Jriver Media Center, I get a lot more volume at a given volume level when compared to just using Youtube or Groove Music.

For example: If I played a song on Windows Groove Music and need to set the volume on RU6 at ~60 for normal listening. The same file played on Jriver with the same cable & Headphones needs only ~46 volume level to sound equally loud. I used balanced in both scenarios.

Volume on Windows & Groove is set to Max and samplerate is set to 44.1Hz, file is a 44.1Hz Flac. Same thing with Youtube (Chrome) vs the video downloaded and played on Jriver.

What could the reason be? Not sure if it's because of the extra volume but RU6 sounds better with JRiver.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #1,628 of 3,686
RU6 arrived 3 days ago and I'm curious about something. If I use Jriver Media Center, I get a lot more volume at a given volume level when compared to just using Youtube or Groove Music.

For example: If I played a song on Windows Groove Music and need to set the volume on RU6 at ~60 for normal listening. The same file played on Jriver with the same cable & Headphones needs only ~46 volume level to sound equally loud. I used balanced in both scenarios.

Volume on Windows & Groove is set to Max and samplerate is set to 44.1Hz, file is a 44.1Hz Flac. Same thing with Youtube (Chrome) vs the video downloaded and played on Jriver.

What could the reason be? Not sure if it's because of the extra volume but RU6 sounds better with JRiver.
It could be that Groove and Youtube are using the default Windows audio output driver while you were able to specifically choose a different audio driver, or driver options, with JRiver.

Have you tried streaming JRiver to a smartphone yet?

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,629 of 3,686

I am not sure about the reason but you might be able to further your own insight by using Windows Loudness Equalization in the sound settings. I am not entirely sure if loudness equalization is still an option these days but it normalizes the sound levels.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,630 of 3,686
It could be that Groove and Youtube are using the default Windows audio output driver while you were able to specifically choose a different audio driver, or driver options, with JRiver.
Yes, I'm using ASIO with JRiver & RU6. I never had other DACs sound louder with ASIO though, is it something unique to R2R? I will try setting the driver to WASAPI or Direct Sound and see if there is any difference.

Have you tried streaming JRiver to a smartphone yet?
No, do you want me to?

I am not sure about the reason but you might be able to further your own insight by using Windows Loudness Equalization in the sound settings. I am not entirely sure if loudness equalization is still an option these days but it normalizes the sound levels.
I don't want to increase the volume, just curious why there would be a volume level difference. Aren't you messing with signal purity using loudness equalization? It's been awhile but the last time I tried volume normalization, the dynamic range took a hit so I tend to avoid any sort of normalization.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #1,633 of 3,686
@Johnfg465vd - is replay gain enabled?
Good catch! If that’s the answer, the OP should be able to create a “RU6” zone player that would allow independent output options for streaming to DACs…

@Johnfg465vd … No, I didn’t need you to try streaming to your smartphone. It’s just that it’s my primary use of my Cayin. I haven’t yet gotten around to Windows…

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,634 of 3,686
No, running everything as pure as possible on both instances. Only difference is JRiver using ASIO. Will try other drivers when I get back home and report my findings.
So, ‘output format’ (which offers gain, gain equality, equalizer, …) is disabled under JR MC settings(?)

For output to my AVR, my MC ‘audio device’ is set to something other than default Windows driver (direct sound or WASAPI). That is, my nVidea hardware/driver (HDMI) can actually acknowledge my Denon AVR, and MC offers that output as either ‘direct sound’ or ‘WASAPI’. I suspect your MC settings offer you something similar, and that it’s set to something other than the Windows default(?)

Edit: Here is advice from another DAC manufacturer for ensuring bitperfect streaming from JR MC via the DAC’s driver. It might provide some insight while not being entirely applicable…
https://exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/...perfect-ASIO-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

Edit#2: Although I often find needing updates, JR’s wiki should also provide some insight…
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,635 of 3,686
I installed the Windows RU6 driver on mt Windows 10 Photoshop workstation this morning, and it offers an audio driver option that I can find no information on. Other than drivers for other hardware, I now have a choice of 4 options for the RU6:

Cayin RU6 USB device (ASIO)​
Cayin RU6 [WASAPI]​
Cayin RU6 [kernel streaming]​
Cayin RU6 [Direct Sound]​

I believe the top option showed up without installing the driver (but the installation could’ve updated it). What is the difference between it and the “kernel streaming” option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back