Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,606 of 3,685
I switched to low gain but still have the problem of sound cuts. I don't have it with my iphone though
Good that you like the sound out of the box, but maybe you did not compare it with other dongles. I compared it with Dragonfly Cobalt and it is far superior in all possible ways. Maybe the burn-in will improve the sound but so far the Cobalt is a clear winner
Okay, sorry to show you this photo, if you have already seen it before on this thread. The point I am making, for what it is worth, is that this setup appears to be very similar to yours, and I can assure you that the RU6 rocks i like bonkers in it with no apparent downsides, even as compared to the performance of my more costly desktop rigs. The only cutouts I have ever experienced are those little "blips" that sometimes occur when my finger lingers for a bit too long on the volume knob. While I am not sure where your issue is coming from, I am just hoping this data point will help you sort out the problem : a fully functional MBP plays very nicely with a fully functional RU6 : their pairing is meant to be hassle-free plug and play :relaxed::relaxed::relieved:

IMG_0112.jpg

Hoping you get the problem sorted ASAP, as there is a lot of audio goodness awaiting you at the end of this (hopefully minor) troubleshooting "tunnel":relieved::relieved::relieved:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,607 of 3,685
Okay, sorry to show you this photo, if you have already seen it before on this thread. The point I am making, for what it is worth, is that this setup appears to be very similar to yours, and I can assure you that the RU6 rocks i like bonkers in it with no apparent downsides, even as compared to the performance of my more costly desktop rigs. The only cutouts I have ever experienced are those little "blips" that sometimes occur when my finger lingers for a bit too long on the volume knob. While I am not sure where your issue is coming from, I am just hoping this data point will help you sort out the problem : a fully functional MBP plays very nicely with a fully functional RU6 : their pairing is meant to be hassle-free plug and play :relaxed::relaxed::relieved:

IMG_0112.jpg

Hoping you get the problem sorted ASAP, as there is a lot of audio goodness awaiting you at the end of this (hopefully minor) troubleshooting "tunnel":relieved::relieved::relieved:
Yes. Exactly my experience - but you said it so much better. Thank you.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,608 of 3,685
It compares well with all my hardware. For example Chord Mojo, FiiO M11 Plus LTD, and even my ifi micro stack so I don't think it is due to a lack of references to compare it with :relaxed:.
I don't think there will be any real difference with changing the gain settings. I mentioned that merely to illustrate that there is plenty of power available for me.
It sounds like you may have an M1 Mac. Is there an M1 native Tidal app yet? That could be an issue.
Yes I have a M1 Pro Mac. I don't know if the Tidal app is native but it doesn't matter. I don't have the problem of sound cuts with my other dongle Dragonfly Cobalt. Anyway, since I don't have that problem with iPhone, it's still OK. I bought RU6 to use it with my iPhone
I haven't heard any of your gears, but to me RU6 provides a congested sound so far. Yes it is warm but soundstage and separation of instruments is not on par with my Dragonfly Cobalt. I guess these are the areas where ESS Dacs are excellent. I'll see what burn-in will do

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,609 of 3,685
Actually I am using the cable that comes with RU6. When I use it with my iPhone, I have no problem. There might be a compatibility issue with Macbook. I have the latest Macbook Pro
Using my iphone, I don't have to increase the volume as much as Macbook, but the sound is still congested. When I A/B compare with Dragonfly Cobalt, it is very clear that Cobalt opens-up the sound much more and has a much better soundstage. Will the burn-in significantly improve the sound of RU6? I will see, but so far I'm not convinced by RU6
You'd better to try with usbC cable of a samsung phone like Note or S series.
I am sure it is fully functioning cable for chargingn data..etc.
(Or just my case, it's best bcs my phone is ss one).

Ru6 supprised me at unboxing moment with its base and mid.
I just found a strange thing: volume lvl seems up down continuosly and slightly but sure it was there.
After 3 hours it's gone.
I don’t need wait untill pass 80-100hours. Got satisfying at day 2 (after volume variation matter gone).

I compare to 2.5 out from ak sp1000, hdvd800 amp... and shortest word on ru6: Worth!
Special think I got: my ears can stand when crank up volume with ru6 than others source.
Sp1000 feed Ru6 or direct analog or toslink to Hdvd800 dac/amp. Hd800s

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,610 of 3,685
Yes I have a M1 Pro Mac. I don't know if the Tidal app is native but it doesn't matter. I don't have the problem of sound cuts with my other dongle Dragonfly Cobalt. Anyway, since I don't have that problem with iPhone, it's still OK. I bought RU6 to use it with my iPhone
I haven't heard any of your gears, but to me RU6 provides a congested sound so far. Yes it is warm but soundstage and separation of instruments is not on par with my Dragonfly Cobalt. I guess these are the areas where ESS Dacs are excellent. I'll see what burn-in will do
I bought a RU6 off a fellow member here but it hasn't arrive yet. Will update you guys once I got it.

But in general as you said that I do find ESS tend to be more "airy" sounding, and R2R is a bit "thicker" sounding which might seem more congested. Different pros and cons since I do find ESS is better at presenting space while R2R is more correct timbre.

Though they do recommend at least 100+ hours burn in so hopefully it clear up after.

I'll let you know once I get my unit (might be a while though, shipping across boarder sucks LOL). But my daily driver now is Dragonfly Red and I did have Dragonfly Cobalt previously.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,611 of 3,685
I played music from my Macbook hard drive (not Tidal) and I still have sound cuts. I'm on low gain with volume at 60. It's the same cut as when we switch from OS to NOS. By the way, do you prefer OS or NOS?

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #1,612 of 3,685
... RU6 provides a congested sound so far. Yes it is warm but soundstage and separation of instruments is not on par with my Dragonfly Cobalt. ...
It's right. Congested, untidy, not organized instruments.
Pinpoint, layering, spacing... is not a strongest point of it.
Mid is so exposure...
Burn-in will helps.
Mine unit is over 240 hours, and above characteristics still fall behind my stuff but I this ru6 is the one I can listen to it at higher SPL than others.
And it can handle complex music tracks, even when drive directly a fullsize hp

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #1,613 of 3,685
The sound cuts on my Macbook Pro don't seem to go no matter what I do. Am I the only one who has this problem? it might be that I have a defective RU6

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,614 of 3,685
I'm sorry but characteristics such as "congested" and "untidy" do not resonate at all with my experience of the RU6. When it arrived, I listened to it exclusively with my LCD-5, and later with my Hifiman Arya Stealth Magnets, for more than two consecutive weeks, while easily ignoring and not missing either my Niimbus US4/Sonnet Morpheus or my YggyA2/Pathos InPol stacks at all. Sure these latter stacks are better performing, as they should be. Yet if the RU6 had sounded even remotely like some congested, sub-par, and untidy mess lacking separation and air, and glitching endlessly, neglecting my other rigs for 2 consecutive weeks would have been an exercise in sheer masochism.

Of course, there was no such "masochism" in the 2-week experience I have just described... I am not claiming that anyone is deliberately misrepresenting their experiences with the RU6 here. I do recognize that "mileages" in subjective preferences legitimately vary. However, there is something about the current discordant and conflicting impressions that is making me suspect there is still some aspect of this entire picture that requires further clarification.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,615 of 3,685
The sound cuts on my Macbook Pro don't seem to go no matter what I do. Am I the only one who has this problem? it might be that I have a defective RU6
I'm really sorry that you're having this experience. It is making me wish I was close by so that I can swap mine with yours in order to help you diagnose the problem quickly, and hopefully fix it. Have you tried e-mailing your dealer for a possible replacement, just in case?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,616 of 3,685
May not.
1. It work with ur ip
2. Reason may be connection/usbC port/music app

Do you have NeutronMp app to try when it controll ru6 fully?
I think you can let ur unit operates 10 hours continously.
Then reconnect again and confirm.

P.S my unit has pass 3 times temperature raise up to abnormal than usual. Hot, but not too hot, not kind of harmful.
If Apple product was connected in that case, will be lack of energy but mine phone is android. It drives hd800s via ru6 directly w/o lacking power

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,617 of 3,685
Can you describe your cnnection? Or show us a photo of your setting?

Did you turn the volume of your MacBook to max.?

Are you using an OTG USB A-to-C cable from MacBook Pro to RU6? or the A-to-C adapter and short C-to-C cable that come with RU6? What music App are you using when you playback your own music in MacBook Pro?

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #1,618 of 3,685
Can you describe your cnnection? Or show us a photo of your setting?

Did you turn the volume of your MacBook to max.?

Are you using an OTG USB A-to-C cable from MacBook Pro to RU6? or the A-to-C adapter and short C-to-C cable that come with RU6? What music App are you using when you playback your own music in MacBook Pro?
I'm connecting RU6 to my Macbook Pro M1 using the stock cable C to C that comes with RU6
When selecting RU6 as sound output, the volume of Macbook is not used
I have tested with Tidal, Youtube, music stored in my NAS and played in my Macbook...I always have sound cuts. If I use the same cable to connect to iPhone through camera adapter, I have no sound cut

Apparently someone who has an Intel Macbook Pro had the same issue, but it has been fixed by changing to low gain. I did the same but I still have sound cuts

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,619 of 3,685
Apparently someone who has an Intel Macbook Pro had the same issue, but it has been fixed by changing to low gain. I did the same but I still have sound cuts
I think you mean me, but that isn't what I meant. I didn't have any issues. One of your problems was insufficient power and my comment was illustrating that I had more than enough power to the extent that I switched to low gain because that was sufficient for me. As I said before:
"I don't think there will be any real difference with changing the gain settings. I mentioned that merely to illustrate that there is plenty of power available for me."
Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,620 of 3,685
Hello,
I have good news: after rebooting my Macbook Pro, I'm not getting sound cuts anymore with RU6. I can't explain why but it looks my RU6 does not have any problem. Now let burn-in starts. I will give my impressions after 100h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back