Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #1,141 of 3,665
I’m using the straight DDHifi TCO5 to TC28i on an iPhone12 mini and it works really well. The right angle adapter allows nice stable pocket insertion.

There’s something really cool on the iPad Pro if you have the case for both the RU6 and the Smart Folio keyboard for the iPad Pro 11”. I decided to use the right angle TC05 from DDHifi because the bottom right of the keyboard folio, where it bends outward and where I was going to stick the Cayin magnet, already has a magnet stronger than the adhesive ones that come with the RU6. So the RU6 sits there beautifully with headphone port exiting to your right, out of the way of the screen, usb cable just perfectly long enough to do the job. The stock cable was about an inch too short.

Also, I decided to try a movie on it last night, the new Bond movie, with my IER-Z1R. Wow what rich sound, filled with both brilliance and gravitas.
Could you post a pic please of this setup. Sounds cool

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,142 of 3,665
@kumar402 just noticed your comment about synergy of timeless with RU6. I felt that the timeless lacked adequate soundstage depth, is there any improvement with RU6?
I dont have timeless sorry I was just extrapolating based on reviews. Sorry if I misguided

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #1,144 of 3,665
Give it some more burn in - 50 hours is not enough I think.

Also you have to consider what reference actually means in this context - reference in comparison to d/s dacs like the LP W2 or reference like a good analogue setup (vinyl)? Attack/decay - what is reference? very fast or slower like the RU6 that makes instruments sound more relaxed and natural? It's not so straight forward - if I compare it to my "reference" d/s dac RME ADI 2 fs, it sounds less vivid, less clear, less "technical" but when I compare my RME ADI 2 fs to a good record player setup, it sounds too vivid and excitable, as if its trying too hard to be detailed/neutral... ofcourse RME is 4 times more expensive so overall it's still better even for a d/s dac, but the RU6 does give a taste for some of that analogue organic sound many of us crave in a good vinyl setup. I think for the money and size, the RU6 is the top dog dongle sound, it sounds quite different vs most other d/s dongle and Cayin have accomplished a major feat here. I am excited to see if they will take this topology and try to push the sound quality even more in future products

That is a logical move, isn't it? :wink:
AKM said they'll resume partial production by next year, but there is no schedule for AK4497 or AK4499 or equivalent DAC chipset. . The ESS9038Pro is aged, it is still technically competence but a lot of customers are hesitated to invest their interest on a new product based on a 6 years DAC chipset.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 21, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,145 of 3,665
I’ve been burning mine in for the last few days and there is a definite improvement in performance. The sound is more coherent, more textured and detailed. Additionally, I’ve become addicted to NOS almost exclusively. So much so that when I upgrade my main DAC, it’s going to be for a NOS device. Very pleased with the RU6! I just need to find a longer USB-C->Lightning OTG cable to go with it.

Glad we have provided an affordable test bench to explore a new direction on your journey to sound. This is not in our agenda, but glad to be of help. :beerchug:

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,146 of 3,665
finally, thanks to a friend, i received mine. really well engineered and well sounding product. well done @Andykong.
With solaris 2020 it is a very high level combo. i think ru6 sounds better in balanced mode; seems less congested

Amazing. The Solaris sounds good with all Cayin DAPs once we get passed the hissing test, that is, unfortunately depends on several variables, not just a matter of engineering specification. The RU6 happens to be fairly quiet with my Andromeda, so I was looking forward to a positive report from Solaris users since we launch it. :fingers_crossed: :pray:

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,148 of 3,665
My ZX507 is unfortunately smashed by the the RU6...time for Sony to go back to the drawing board

Wow, smashed is a strong adjustive. :scream:
Your impression is rated R for strong language that might cause disturbing emotion of some DAP users. .....

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,149 of 3,665
Thank you for checking. I am using the Cayin USB-C to USB-C cable and the Cayin USB-A to USB-C adapter. So I will try other cables and check back.

@Andykong: Is there anything special to the RU6 USB-C to USB-C cable and adapter to USB-A? I guess any Cayin USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the N6ii and C9 could be used as well. Correct? Thanks.

I just tested, USB-A to C cable from N6ii (or N8? they should be the same cable), playback native 24/96, with Meze LIRIC at high gain 55 NOS mode, works fine.

I think the only trick is shield of the cable.

1640084681808.png

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #1,150 of 3,665
I just tried ipad camera adaptor ( gen 1 with only usb slot without lightning slot ) with USB C to USB A cable. Apple Music Hi Res ( 24-bit/ 96 Khz ALAC ), Volume 40+

1. 4.4 mm with NOS mode, High Gain = no constant drop out sound
2. 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter with NOS mode, High Gain = no constant drop out sound
3. 4.4mm with OS mode, High Gain = constant drop out sound
4. 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter with OS mode, High Gain = no constant drop out sound

But if i lowered volume to 35 (4.4 mm OS mode High Gain ), there will no contant drop out sound anymore.

Just tried connecting RU6 with the same usb C to usb A cable to my computer, there is no drop out sound with 4.4mm, OS mode High Gain volume 40+
Let me try, iphone source + camera kit with Low Gain Volume 20 with OS and Nos Mode? 4.4 or 3.5 output do you use ? i will report back again after i tried mine.

After i tried,
1. iphone source + camera kit with Low Gain ( OS and NOS mode, 3.5 output ) any volume didnt have any drop out
2. iphone source + camera kit with Low Gain ( OS mode, 4.4 output ) Volume 41++ have constant drop out, but not often like High Gain mode.
3. iphone source + camera kit with Low Gain ( OS mode 4.4 output ) Volume 40 and lower didnt have any drop out
4. iphone source + camera kit with Low Gain ( NOS mode, 4.4 output ) any volume didnt have any drop out.
camera adaptor ( gen 1 with only usb slot without lightning slot )? So there are multiple Gen of camera adaptor and not all of them are equal? This is new to me, I am a stranger to iOS ecosystem.

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,151 of 3,665
My way of adding R2R module to my DAP and who says DAP and Dongle are mutually exclusive

They are not. In fact, I have suggested to pair the RU6 with small Android DAP such as Sony A105 as high quality streaming source. The RU6 is sensitive to input USB Audio quality, and a DAP should works better then a mobile phone on this regard.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #1,153 of 3,665
Andykong,
I have been breaking in my RU6 since last Wednesday 24/7 set on NOS, Should I give it another 100 hours set on OS?

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,154 of 3,665
i cant resist the temptation to buy ru6
since i have never got cheap r2r dac.. thx for cayin to make this real
very addictive sound using noble k10au
i have micro BL for dekstop setup
but i really like this little dongle sound very much

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back