Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #3,648 of 3,665
I'm experiencing the kind of static and hissing at the end of and in between tracks that other users have reported, using an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the stock cable (I believe the unit is fine, because I don't hear this when it's plugged into a PC; airplane mode, wi-fi / cellular off, bluetooth disabled...none of it has any effect). I noticed that if I turn my iPhone volume down from 100%, the sound actually gets louder through the RU6 (volume control on the PC has no effect).

When I decrease the volume on the RU6 to compensate, the static and hissing disappears. This doesn't seem to be the recommended configuration (documentation says run source at 100%), but other than eliminating the static I can't hear any other audible differences, certainly nothing negative.

Has anyone else experienced this? How does turning down the iPhone as a source make the signal from the RU6 louder?

I haven't experimented to see where the cutoff is, but the noise is definitely audible when the RU6 is >60 on volume, below 40 I can't really hear it.

EDIT: I discovered that this "backwards" volume control was the result of me selecting "headphones" when first plugging in the RU6. After clearing the settings for USB devices, I selected "other device" when connecting, and now the volume control has no effect (as expected). The static I was experiencing in between and at the end of tracks is also gone. Hope this helps someone else in the future! I am now absolutely enamored with this dongle (except I fear for the longevity of the USB cable, so a third-party OTG cable is on the way).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #3,649 of 3,665
I found this on samsung make RU6 run at 192khz.
Toggle off will run at 48khz
I want 44khz mode but could not found

Screenshot_20240127_202238_Sound quality and effects.png

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #3,650 of 3,665
I found this on samsung make RU6 run at 192khz.
Toggle off will run at 48khz
I want 44khz mode but could not found

Screenshot_20240127_202238_Sound quality and effects.png

This doesn't work for my S23. The toggle is gray, it can't be enabled.

What Samsung do you have?

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #3,652 of 3,665
Did you have ru6 connected when trying?
Mine Note20Ultra

Yes, I had it connected. Maybe this works on models that still have a 3.5 jack.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #3,653 of 3,665
ru6top.jpg

The Cayin RU6 with step-down switching power supply (hub) and adequate amplification (RA2BFE) reaches very high levels. Once its limits (supply-amplification) are removed it becomes pure poetry...

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #3,654 of 3,665
Do let us know how you find the pairing.
Update: still haven't used the 4SR since I got the 2SE , but the 2SE with the Cayin RU6 sounds really good. The timbre has improved some, note decay is a little longer and they're a little more dynamic and enjoyable compared to the apple dongle. Sound is also more enveloping and less of a "2D soundstage ". Very happy so far. I've also been using it to drive my HD600s and they sound amazing. Bottlehead crack /speedball on the way however, to drive the senns. But the RU6 with the Etys is definitely my default portable pairing from now on.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #3,656 of 3,665
I'm experiencing the kind of static and hissing at the end of and in between tracks that other users have reported, using an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the stock cable (I believe the unit is fine, because I don't hear this when it's plugged into a PC; airplane mode, wi-fi / cellular off, bluetooth disabled...none of it has any effect). I noticed that if I turn my iPhone volume down from 100%, the sound actually gets louder through the RU6 (volume control on the PC has no effect).

When I decrease the volume on the RU6 to compensate, the static and hissing disappears. This doesn't seem to be the recommended configuration (documentation says run source at 100%), but other than eliminating the static I can't hear any other audible differences, certainly nothing negative.

Has anyone else experienced this? How does turning down the iPhone as a source make the signal from the RU6 louder?

I haven't experimented to see where the cutoff is, but the noise is definitely audible when the RU6 is >60 on volume, below 40 I can't really hear it.

EDIT: I discovered that this "backwards" volume control was the result of me selecting "headphones" when first plugging in the RU6. After clearing the settings for USB devices, I selected "other device" when connecting, and now the volume control has no effect (as expected). The static I was experiencing in between and at the end of tracks is also gone. Hope this helps someone else in the future! I am now absolutely enamored with this dongle (except I fear for the longevity of the USB cable, so a third-party OTG cable is on the way).
How did you clear the settings for USB devices on your iphone?

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #3,657 of 3,665
How did you clear the settings for USB devices on your iphone?
You’d never guess…

Settings -> Sounds & Haptics -> Headphone safety -> USB audio accessories

Then delete the items that you accidentally said were headphones.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #3,658 of 3,665
Just got this device today.

If I use the default Windows 10 UAC2 driver, all is ok. If I use the latest Cayin driver, the audio interrupts every 2-5 seconds. While the audio is interrupted, I can hear the same noise as when you change the volume and you go to the next stage.

I would like to be able to play DSD, and as far as I understand you can only do that with Cayin's driver.

Do any of you encountered this issue?

I still have this issue, even though I reinstalled Windows (assuming there was something wrong on my part).

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #3,659 of 3,665
I still have this issue, even though I reinstalled Windows (assuming there was something wrong on my part).
I had no issues with windows10 + RU6 with foobar asio exclusive access. Was able to play dsd files. And had no stutters with Neutron player as well. Moved on to mac now and it's a pain as the local music playback always goes through resampling and no way to bypass it.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #3,660 of 3,665
Is the RU6 a good match with a monarch mk2?

I did read some post earlier in this thread about it getting bass heavy, I just cancelled my order for the RU6 but I've got a bit of time till they act on it. I really liked the idea of a unique analog take with old DAC tech, some of the old pro gear sounded great due to this stuff. But After spending about 8 hours with the new MK2 via my RME babyface pro directly it sounded great, better than the Lehmann BCL which I thought was sounding a bit dull, odd because I thought it was a bright amp on its higher voltage settings. the MK2s love the RME for my ears. Though on the other hand I like that I read the RU6 has a tad bit of mid boost, but I'm worried this MK2 thing is near perfect and that it'll upset the apple cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back