Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 28, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #3,632 of 3,665
Picked one of these bad boys up, gonna let it burn in. But initial impressions is very nice.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #3,634 of 3,665
I own and use the RU6 and there is no need to go to that extreme. After about 10 minutes playing music (20 tops) the unit warms up and reaches its peak

username checks out

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #3,635 of 3,665
Just to clarify are output levels at high gain or low gain?

Thanks
It was H gain.
If you need value for L gain, multiple to 0.50
Also, Bal = x2 SE.
So H gain combine Bal got x4 volt compare to L gain combine SE.
Addition: regarding Cayin statement about ru6, T.HD+N is fine at 0.5V/1V with SE/Bal -> it is about volume level 86
Screenshot_20231223_092619_Chrome.png
(at H gain).

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #3,636 of 3,665
I set volume 84, H gain, NOS, Bal, then feed to XLR of Stax 007tA.
While AK SP1000SS set volume 137 via SE to RCA.
I myself hit the Input selector of 007tA to toggle between 2 sources. Both cable are good quality stuffs and in good conditions.
I could not identify the difference of sound output through Kaldas RR1 headphones.

When RU in OS mode, there will be difference. Ru sound a touch of cold, thinner and brighter with sparks of high.
If drive directly a headphones, I like OS or NOS depending on tracks. If Ru use as a source, I surely like NOS

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #3,637 of 3,665
Haven't been using my RU6 for a while since the RU7 came out which I prefer for my IEMs.
Ran out of power plugs at my setup so tried a dongle from my pc to my Topping A90D. Dragonfly cobalt can't get loud enough and also distorts.

But wow the RU6 NOS mode volume 90 synergizes well with the A90D! Would never know I wasn't listening to a desktop sized DAC and I'm used to the Pontus II. All the detail and imaging is there clear as day down to the faintest of reverbs and background hums/static in the recording process. Plus R2R sound for cheap.

Thought it was interesting since I've tried it in my Cayin 300b tube amp before and the results weren't as great as a full sized DAC.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #3,638 of 3,665
But wow the RU6 NOS mode volume 90 synergizes well with the A90D! Would never know I wasn't listening to a desktop sized DAC and I'm used to the Pontus II.

Jezuzz... You're saying that the RU6 competes with this beast when paired with an A90D!!!

Denafrips Pontus II.jpg

I need to get an A90D, and yesterday!

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #3,639 of 3,665
Jezuzz... You're saying that the RU6 competes with this beast when paired with an A90D!!!

Denafrips Pontus II.jpg

I need to get an A90D, and yesterday!
From short term audio memory yes. Haven't bothered to do a side by side where benefits become more clear

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #3,641 of 3,665
This is how Ru6 sounds with Os and Nos mode, with my own ears listening FR and respond FR of the headphones.
Other condition is no change (quite silence room, SR1 mod headphones, headphones positioning, volume)
I test 2 times each mode and results are similar if in same mode.

NOS -> blooming mid so I can hear it better
Screenshot_20240114_224100_Adapt sound.png
Screenshot_20240114_224050_Adapt sound.png

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #3,642 of 3,665
Anybody here uses the RU6 together with the Topping NX7?

I have the Topping NX7 right now. Considering buying the RU6 to use together with it.

My headphones are HD6xx and Sundara. Will double amping using the NX7 makes any difference or the RU6 alone is already enough for my headphones and adding the NX7 makes no difference?

Appreciate the advice. Cheers. :)

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #3,643 of 3,665
Anybody here uses the RU6 together with the Topping NX7?

I have the Topping NX7 right now. Considering buying the RU6 to use together with it.

My headphones are HD6xx and Sundara. Will double amping using the NX7 makes any difference or the RU6 alone is already enough for my headphones and adding the NX7 makes no difference?

Appreciate the advice. Cheers. :)
I do from time to time.

I got a lot of advice earlier in this thread about how best to double amp the RU6. Worth reading through that and it will work well.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #3,644 of 3,665
Just got this device today.

If I use the default Windows 10 UAC2 driver, all is ok. If I use the latest Cayin driver, the audio interrupts every 2-5 seconds. While the audio is interrupted, I can hear the same noise as when you change the volume and you go to the next stage.

I would like to be able to play DSD, and as far as I understand you can only do that with Cayin's driver.

Do any of you encountered this issue?

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #3,645 of 3,665
Another great match, which I highly recommend, with fantastic synergy for the RU6 is the one that comes out with the Etymotic ER4SR. Since it wants iems as neutral as possible, I thought... which is the most transparent and natural iem I have? Looking well in the iem drawer, the ER4SR came out, simply the most natural iem that exists in the world and still today unmatched for its reference sound. I was expecting a certain synergy, but I didn't imagine what I would hear after a while... a deep and powerful bass (for which they have always been criticized because they are extremely flat) like I had never heard on the Etys. Only the RU6 could make me look for the ER4SRs after all this time... but not because they sound bad... it's just having to get used to inserting them again, let's say, not really natural... lol
If you want to really hear the RU6's voice you have to use a stethoscope, and I did. Great!!!
Glad to hear this. I've got both ER4SR and ER2SE and my RU6 should be delivered in a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back