Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #4,441 of 5,571
Allright, Ladies and Gentlemen!

It was really tough to get there, but here we go!

5D3AE7E3-0D1D-4712-A590-D78A6D42DDED.jpeg

There can be only one!🙂 Ok not more than two 😂
Curious to find out which would they be.

From the first impressions:
1. P+ is the only option to get all the dynamics and clear textures
2. Tubes are fun but won’t be used much as pure SS mode is on another level - got to admit that it’s the best one I’ve heard to date
3. N8ii is basically a bit more calm SP2K with much better depth, stronger deeper bass, more forward highs and better microdetails

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #4,442 of 5,571

2. Tubes are fun but won’t be used much as pure SS mode is on another level - got to admit that it’s the best one I’ve heard to date
3. N8ii is basically a bit more calm SP2K with much better depth, stronger deeper bass, more forward highs and better microdetails
Really looking forward to more details in this comperison!
I too find the SS usually better, tubes I like sometimes with poorly recorded stuff.
But I find I get lost in the music more with class A , then P+ / AB. So I therefore prefer it dispite loss in dynamics.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #4,445 of 5,571

SP2K was way overrated.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #4,447 of 5,571
Let me try to explain. I think what you are looking at is a feature of Android (9 in our case), not a bug. A feature in the sense of not offering the full luxury you envision.

Reason: The battery cap is monitored by Android. So Android needs to be running or ”sleeping with screen off“, or similar. When Android is shut down, nobody monitors the battery cap anymore.

So when you have Android’s auto shutoff enabled, and when it hits its shutdown condition BEFORE the battery cap is reached, then there is no active Android any longer to monitor the battery cap. It charges right up to 100% then.

Andy mentioned a few times that Cayin might look into the feasibility of implementing a battery monitor without Android.

A remark on another subject, though: @KPzypher, your post gives me the hint to use the auto-shutoff feature of Android during my current burn-in runs in order to prevent a battery drain. Thanks - might be an easy and hopefully successful thing to do.

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #4,448 of 5,571
Let me try to explain. I think what you are looking at is a feature of Android (9 in our case), not a bug. A feature in the sense of not offering the full luxury you envision.

Reason: The battery cap is monitored by Android. So Android needs to be running or ”sleeping with screen off“, or similar. When Android is shut down, nobody monitors the battery cap anymore.

So when you have Android’s auto shutoff enabled, and when it hits its shutdown condition BEFORE the battery cap is reached, then there is no active Android any longer to monitor the battery cap. It charges right up to 100% then.

Andy mentioned a few times that Cayin might look into the feasibility of implementing a battery monitor without Android.

A remark on another subject, though: @KPzypher, your post gives me the hint to use the auto-shutoff feature of Android during my current burn-in runs in order to prevent a battery drain. Thanks - might be an easy and hopefully successful thing to do.

Andy regarding the issue of the battery charging to 100% when the N8ii is switched off:

Do you think Cayin will be able to implement a battery monitor without Android in a future Firmware update? Apart from this limitation I have no issues with battery behaviour and prefer to leave my N8ii overnight switched off and connected to my Apple 29w charger to avoid drainage but in the morning I find it has not observed the 92% cut off charging limit and instead charged to 100%, which is worrying for long term battery life, thanks for any help on this.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #4,449 of 5,571
Andy regarding the issue of the battery charging to 100% when the N8ii is switched off:

Do you think Cayin will be able to implement a battery monitor without Android in a future Firmware update? Apart from this limitation I have no issues with battery behaviour and prefer to leave my N8ii overnight switched off and connected to my Apple 29w charger to avoid drainage but in the morning I find it has not observed the 92% cut off charging limit and instead charged to 100%, which is worrying for long term battery life, thanks for any help on this.

Why would leaving it off and on the charger be worrying, no matter the % charged to? As far as I understand the reasoning behind setting a charge limit is to stop the device from the endless charge to 100% when powered on. If the device is off then once it hits 100% it would stop charging and thus would cause no issues. Unlike where if it’s left on it’ll charge to 100%, then stop charging while the battery drains a minuscule amount and then charge again since it’s dropped below full. Hence why a limit on the battery is useful when powered on but useless if powered off.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #4,450 of 5,571
Why would leaving it off and on the charger be worrying, no matter the % charged to? As far as I understand the reasoning behind setting a charge limit is to stop the device from the endless charge to 100% when powered on. If the device is off then once it hits 100% it would stop charging and thus would cause no issues. Unlike where if it’s left on it’ll charge to 100%, then stop charging while the battery drains a minuscule amount and then charge again since it’s dropped below full. Hence why a limit on the battery is useful when powered on but useless if powered off.
I see, thanks for that, I was under the impression that charging to 100% - whether on or off - was not advisable for long term battery life, I can relax now then!

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #4,451 of 5,571
I see, thanks for that, I was under the impression that charging to 100% - whether on or off - was not advisable for long term battery life, I can relax now then!

That’s at least how I understand it. I admit I may be an idiot who has no idea what he’s talking about.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,452 of 5,571
How many of you actually prefer the Tube Mode to SS?

I am surprised to find little advantages to using tubes.
Which would namely be to soften up poor recordings and sometimes enjoy a deeper soundstage.

Otherwise I hear it to mostly :

1 lessen the bass attack in favor of adding low end texture,
2 close down the soundstage a bit
3 unsharpen treble peaks at cost of detail retrieval
4 make the background less black , at cost of detail retrieval and dynamics.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #4,453 of 5,571
How many of you actually prefer the Tube Mode to SS?

I am surprised to find little advantages to using tubes.
Which would namely be to soften up poor recordings and sometimes enjoy a deeper soundstage.

Otherwise I hear it to mostly :

1 lessen the bass attack in favor of adding low end texture,
2 close down the soundstage a bit
3 unsharpen treble peaks at cost of detail retrieval
4 make the background less black , at cost of detail retrieval and dynamics.

For myself, I listen mostly to tube mode as the choice of music (Asian Female vocals/Carpenters etc...) sounds more magical to me. SS if listening to EDM etc...

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #4,454 of 5,571
For myself, I listen mostly to tube mode as the choice of music (Asian Female vocals/Carpenters etc...) sounds more magical to me. SS if listening to EDM etc...
In class A or AB?
For vocal centered music Class A is a must imo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back