Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
May 22, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #3,768 of 5,571
If anyone is interested in my written review of the N8ii, it's up now: https://www.hear.audio/2022/05/22/cayin-n8ii/

I'm going to re-post it on here as well.

IMG_7044.jpeg

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #3,769 of 5,571
I don't know who said it, but N8ii sounds it's best 30 minutes after getting switched on and playing music.

I just don't want to stop listening.
That is VERY TRUE, when you turn it on it sounds great immediately, but after about 30mins warmup a gate opens and you start to hear Marvelous out of the world Sounds

May 22, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #3,771 of 5,571

Attachments

• 20220509_141110.jpg
    20220509_141110.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #3,772 of 5,571
I have just started to think if my N8II is a properly working device. One is this wake-up blink described above. Another issue is that I cannot find any difference in Tube- SS mode and A-AB class in every possible combination. Is there anything in the settings which can help or maybe unlock it ?

May 22, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #3,773 of 5,571
I have just started to think if my N8II is a properly working device. One is this wake-up blink described above. Another issue is that I cannot find any difference in Tube- SS mode and A-AB class in every possible combination. Is there anything in the settings which can help or maybe unlock it ?
A-AB is quite subtle. Tube vs SS should be easily distinguishable. What have you got plugged into listen to it with?

May 22, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,774 of 5,571
A-AB is quite subtle. Tube vs SS should be easily distinguishable. What have you got plugged into listen to it with?
I used UM Mest mk2 and Audeze LCD XC Carbon. The second one is very transparent so I should hear the difference immediately. But as I wrote - no difference at all. A-AB is easy to switch and I can imagine that this should be easy to recognise. This is really strange.
How about this white blink once you would like to wake up the device ? I have noticed it just now so I’m not sure if I have omitted this from the beginning?

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,775 of 5,571
Hi

Has anybody noticed white blink on the screen once the DAP is turn on/off by pressing side top button?
Yep. I have this every other wake. But I don’t consider it an issue, necessarily.
It seems to be a screen cache thing. It comes and goes.

How many hours do you have on it? The tube /ss differences get more obvious the more you use the tubes.

I immediately heard the a/ab dif, but there are a bunch commenting they don’t hear it at all. Its really quite subtle. You’re not alone if you don’t hear it right away even with a pristine player (if yours isn’t)

May 22, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #3,776 of 5,571
So I know most people here are into IEMs however my ears just can't take them. That said, here's my stable of sought-after classic cans... Both Pioneer Master and Monitor and Final Audio Sonorous X (all sadly discontinued)... along with an unbranded 4.4mm balanced silver cable that came with the Final Audio headphones that can now use with the N8ii. Which leads me to a question I'm now wondering...

Even though the Pioneer SEM5 and the Sonorous X both have 3.5 mm connectors (the full -size Master in the middle strangely uses MMCX for some odd reason)...one is a mono and and one is a stereo cable plug. Yet the balanced silver 3.5mm stereo cable works for both... It just makes the already slightly bright Pioneers that much brighter. The only item mine didn't come with is the balanced cable they packaged with it (stock cable is no slouch)...and now that I need it it's nearly impossible to find.

So does anyone know what is the design difference between a stereo connector (2 stripe) and a mono connector (1 stripe) and why would one be used over the other? With the Pioneer being stereo and the X being mono, would a mono connector work for both cans or only a stereo connector work for both?

I have to say, even using the unbalanced stock cable that came with the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 (far left in pic)...they have to be added to the list of great synergy cans with the N8ii. Just superb sound from the pair. Most notably, the multitracked DSD remaster of Louis Armstrong's "Wonderful World" is just breathtaking.

20220522_202030_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3,777 of 5,571
So I know most people here are into IEMs however my ears just can't take them. That said, here's my stable of sought-after classic cans... Both Pioneer Master and Monitor and Final Audio Sonorous X (all sadly discontinued)... along with an unbranded 4.4mm balanced silver cable that came with the Final Audio headphones that can now use with the N8ii. Which leads me to a question I'm now wondering...

Even though the Pioneer SEM5 and the Sonorous X both have 3.5 mm connectors (the full -size Master in the middle strangely uses MMCX for some odd reason)...one is a mono and and one is a stereo cable plug. Yet the balanced silver 3.5mm stereo cable works for both... It just makes the already slightly bright Pioneers that much brighter. The only item mine didn't come with is the balance cable they packaged with it...and now that I need it it's nearly impossible to find.

So does anyone know what is the design difference between a stereo connector (2 stripe) and a mono connector (1 stripe) and why would one be used over the other? With the Pioneer being stereo and the X being mono, would a mono connector work for both cans or only a stereo connector work for both?

I have to say, even using the unbalanced stock cable that came with the Pioneer SE Monitor 5...they have to be added to the list of great synergy cans with the N8ii. Just superb sound from the pair.

20220522_202030_HDR.jpg
Just bought Audeze LCD-XC 2021 a few weeks ago
Heavy but sounds good
IMG20220403193544~2.jpg

May 22, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3,778 of 5,571

Even though the Pioneer SEM5 and the Sonorous X both have 3.5 mm connectors (the full -size Master in the middle strangely uses MMCX for some odd reason)...one is a mono and and one is a stereo cable plug. Yet the balanced silver 3.5mm stereo cable works for both... It just makes the already slightly bright Pioneers that much brighter. The only item mine didn't come with is the balanced cable they packaged with it (stock cable is no slouch)...and now that I need it it's nearly impossible to find.

I have to say, even using the unbalanced stock cable that came with the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 (far left in pic)...they have to be added to the list of great synergy cans with the N8ii. Just superb sound from the pair. Most notably, the multitracked DSD remaster of Louis Armstrong's "Wonderful World" is just breathtaking.

20220522_202030_HDR.jpg

If your headphones have earcups with separate cable entries, they could be used balanced or un-balanced depending on the cable. Corresponding sides should bring out connection for L+/L- and R+/R- signal inputs, and then headphone plug will terminate it either with a balanced connector where each signal is kept separately or single-ended (3.5mm) connector where L- and R- will be tied together to a common GND. If your headphones on the right and the left use 3.5mm earcup connections and you have 2 sets of cables, balanced and unbalanced, you can use those cables interchangeably. And as you have seen from N8ii spec, balanced connection will give you a higher output power.

May 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #3,779 of 5,571
Twister, thanks for the summary of how balanced is specifically different and why it offer more power--being new to a device that can handle balanced, I was not aware of that GND difference! Now it makes sense why unbalanced is also called single ended.

I suppose why we're at it, why was 4.4mm balanced adopted versus the original 2.5mm. Is it a better surface connection being larger diameter?

But what was mainly talking about is the 3.5" connector that goes into the ear cups. One of them (Final)) is a mono pin w/ single stripe and the other (Pioneer) is a stereo pin w/ 2 stripes. How would they be different in that capacity? I've already found that the stereo earcup connector will work for either headphones but will a mono work for an ear cup design for stereo??

I don't quite understand why one would be mono & one stereo (why would they need a stereo pin for one side cup)...and what advantages either would have.

Maybe I'm overthinking things :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,780 of 5,571
Yep. I have this every other wake. But I don’t consider it an issue, necessarily.
It seems to be a screen cache thing. It comes and goes.

How many hours do you have on it? The tube /ss differences get more obvious the more you use the tubes.

I immediately heard the a/ab dif, but there are a bunch commenting they don’t hear it at all. Its really quite subtle. You’re not alone if you don’t hear it right away even with a pristine player (if yours isn’t)
It’s quite new. I have charge it maybe 5 times, but I was expecting that the difference will be noticeable. And there is nothing - A/AB or Tube/SS ☹️🥺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back