Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 26, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #3,166 of 5,538
Battery protection mode is part of the design when unit overheats (charging and playback at the same time, case on, Class A, Tubes, and/or High gain) and temp crosses 50degC threshold. I belive most of the reported issues where related to those conditions, and was confirmed by Cayin as expected behavior. I'm yet to force my review unit into that condition to verify the overheating notification.

If your unit had a unique failure condition other then combination described above, you probably will be the one to let us know if it's OK now :)
Yes it did. It would go from 15% or so to shutdown and display battery protection mode.
Leaving it plugged in for >1 hour using different charger and cable combinations did nothing to resolve it either.

I sent the unit in question back- hence the question if this has been resolved.

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3,167 of 5,538
I think on top of that protection issues, some people have wrongly displayed battery % , like 100% and over 2 hour of usages, and then suddenly drops to 70% …. But only some reports it and other units don’t have it. If it is not different battery then what gives ?

It's likely a software issue and not an issue with the batteries. Likely something in Andriod. This is the only battery issues that I'm aware of.
Overheat protection turning off charging is as designed. That's just something we have to account for, it's the price of packing so much greatness into such a small device that we can carry it around.

Apr 26, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,168 of 5,538
It's likely a software issue and not an issue with the batteries. Likely something in Andriod. This is the only battery issues that I'm aware of.
Overheat protection turning off charging is as designed. That's just something we have to account for, it's the price of packing so much greatness into such a small device that we can carry it around.
But if it was firmware alone, wouldn’t all units be affected ? Unless there are both the battery and the firmware together, because each battery has it own management systems
No bubbles with case, but finger prints :frowning2:

For people who would like to know how to install the glass protector easier, you can check out mY video
36CE6937-7AD4-4D5A-AA3A-9B9443EF483E.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,169 of 5,538
I've still not put mine on! Suppose I should stop being lazy and take a few minutes to get it on...

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,170 of 5,538
Hmmm... should I open it, or save it for my birthday next month?
20220426_142530.jpg

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,171 of 5,538
Hmmm... should I open it, or save it for my birthday next month?
You better save it for 50 years later. It will be new in box and of a 50 years old legendary portable tubes players. It would have appreciated in value and probably enough to buy a house by then 😂

Congratulations, not welcoming yet until you open it

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #3,173 of 5,538
You better save it for 50 years later. It will be new in box and of a 50 years old legendary portable tubes players. It would have appreciated in value and probably enough to buy a house by then 😂

Congratulations, not welcoming yet until you open it
Of course I opened it 😛🤣

Going thru the FW update now.

Wow, build quality is superb!!
And glad to report the leather case fits very snug. No problem shaking it upside down.

One thing caught me by surprise though. The volume knob has very little resistence. Almost rotates freely.

Time for a listen!!

20220426_144554.jpg

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,174 of 5,538
Of course I opened it 😛🤣

Going thru the FW update now.

Wow, build quality is superb!!
And glad to report the leather case fits very snug. No problem shaking it upside down.

One thing caught me by surprise though. The volume knob has very little resistence. Almost rotates freely.

Time for a listen!!

20220426_144554.jpg
Welcome to the club! Leave your wallet at the door please 🤩

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,175 of 5,538
Overheat protection turning off charging is as designed.
My dealer tested the unit when he got it back and couldn't reproduce this.

@KPzypher yep it does rotate quite easily. Probably my only hardware quibble.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #3,176 of 5,538
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #3,177 of 5,538
This unit really is as good as everyone is saying. I cannot recall an “upgrade” in the last 5 years that lead to so much improvement. Kudos to Cayin!

Mine prompted OTA today, went smoothly.

My screen protector looks fine no case, but case on the lower two corners lift up. Anyone know of a suitable replacement screen? Might try again.

Back to the listening. For the first time in a long time is just pure music…

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #3,178 of 5,538
Quick first impression.

One word. "Clean."
This is the cleanest sounding DAP I've heard to date. And I don't mean bright.

I know I'm the oddball here, but so far, I actually prefer LG/P/SS/AB mode for my use case (low-volume listening). It sounds clean, at least with IE900 (4.4) and Tidal via UAPP on low volume, w/o suffering in dynamics or lacking in body. I think this is where N8ii has an edge over other DAPs. IE900 has very low resonance peak for an IEM IMO, and combined with N8ii, it creates a pleasant, clean low volume listening environment. It's just my preference and opinion of course, so YMMV.

In higher volume, I think I'd prefer other settings. I'll need to do more tinkering. In any case, I just love the flexibility afforded in this regard. If you want more body/energy, the N8ii still got you covered.

In terms of UI, somehow N8ii feels snappier than the M9, which is equipped with SD665 and extra RAM. Maybe it has to do with the lower screen resolution? Or maybe it's just better optimized. Not sure. After using the M9, the screen feels a bit cramped and makes navigating not as fluid, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time.

Overall, I'm a happy camper, minus the too-light/flimsy feeling volume dial.

On a side note, battery indicator seems to be accurate? :fingers_crossed: Well, at least it's dropping appropriately (approx.) w/o getting stuck at any percentage. I guess I'll know after a few cycle.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #3,179 of 5,538
oh, and I'm so glad Roon works with the N8ii!! :L3000::darthsmile:.

I'm not referring to bitperfect. Roon playback does not work at all with the M9 (not sure why on open Android), which has been my biggest gripe of otherwise a fantastic flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back