Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #3,136 of 5,538
Saw you left the same message after my review :)

The tempered glass screen protector included with N8ii is for the front glass. And the protective film on the front of the N8ii needs to be taken off, it is just like a packaging film. The screen protector on the back should be already applied, it is plastic (PET type) and you just need to carefully peel off its protective film.

Thanks a lot Alex for your assistance!

So I applied the tempered glass screen protector on the front glass after removing both protective films (on the front glass of the N8ii and on the back of the screen protector). However I still have several air bubbles on three corners of the front glass.

n8ii.jpg

What's wrong ? Do I have to remove another protective film on the front of the tempered glass screen protector itself ?
I've tried to apply pressure on the screen protector to remove air bubbles without any luck :sweat:
As one screen protector is provided with N8ii only, do you have any piece of advice to solve this issue ?

Thanks a lot!

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,137 of 5,538
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #3,139 of 5,538
That's impressive to hear, given they require so much power to drive properly. (Have to use C9 with mine) Is there much headroom?

Hail Slayer!

I'm just a newbie in audiophile matters so please all my apologies if I'm maybe wrong.

Currently running with the following configuration:
  • Mid Gain
  • P Mode
  • Tube
  • Class AB
  • Balanced Output
  • Volume between 70-80

I don't hear any distortion even at upper volume so I guess yes there is still much headroom.
I haven't tested any other config yet. In particular High Gain, P+ Mode, Class A and SS.

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,140 of 5,538

So I applied the tempered glass screen protector on the front glass after removing both protective films (on the front glass of the N8ii and on the back of the screen protector). However I still have several air bubbles on three corners of the front glass.

n8ii.jpg

What's wrong ? Do I have to remove another protective film on the front of the tempered glass screen protector itself ?
I've tried to apply pressure on the screen protector to remove air bubbles without any luck :sweat:
As one screen protector is provided with N8ii only, do you have any piece of advice to solve this issue ?

Thanks a lot!

Once you remove that protective packaging film off the front of the DAP, it should be just a naked glass display, no other film. Maybe try to apply the pressure as you squeeze out those air bubbles? Also, did you clean the glass before applying the tempered glass protector? Wipe it down good so there is no oily residue or fingerprints.

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,141 of 5,538

n8ii.jpg

Thanks a lot!
this is common problem if the case is too tight

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,142 of 5,538
Once you remove that protective packaging film off the front of the DAP, it should be just a naked glass display, no other film. Maybe try to apply the pressure as you squeeze out those air bubbles? Also, did you clean the glass before applying the tempered glass protector? Wipe it down good so there is no oily residue or fingerprints.

Yes I've followed all your suggestions without any success... still no luck :thinking:

this is common problem if the case is too tight

Indeed! If I remove the DAP from the case, I don't have any bubble at the bottom of the screen but however still present at the top right corner :weary:

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #3,143 of 5,538
Applying glass protectors are not easy….

It is commonly messy like your result, a lot of debris and or bubbles will happens

These pictures are with my glass screen protector applied. Can you tell ?

I have seen posts saying that the N8ii is bulky and big…etc.

Then you should learn to know that the original Walkman was a lot more bulky

Here is some shots comparing to Walkman DAT.

IMO, N8ii is amazingly portable

750A9C24-7C9E-48D2-9AEE-4DFE648CD1CF.jpegF1B45299-5F78-4E6C-B474-66684DCCE234.jpeg28A08595-87FF-41A5-A392-99BEA9D7E0E6.jpeg
9C7BE70C-9A8C-4B74-BC2F-2BE40D29795A.jpeg
8D46E6E3-3078-446F-A420-64B4B05BAC34.jpeg

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,144 of 5,538

n8ii.jpg

Thanks a lot!
Bgillis

I've run into this problem before, and have eliminated the case too tight problem by stacking coins of various thickness in each corner, so that its just a little tight to the stack of coins, and left if for 24 hours, and it "stretches" just the corners of the case so it does not bubble the glass protector without loosening the entire case (as stretching tools or sprays will do), so the device is not loose in the case.
Looks like the corners of your case are just a little tight that is causes uneven pressure and hence the bubbles
leaving the case as is will cause the protector to deform a little, or the glue to dry out leaving permanent bubbles.
Just a hint that I've passed on to others and so far all have said it works on a variety of cases from different manufacturers

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,145 of 5,538
Bgillis

I've run into this problem before, and have eliminated the case too tight problem by stacking coins of various thickness in each corner, so that its just a little tight to the stack of coins, and left if for 24 hours, and it "stretches" just the corners of the case so it does not bubble the glass protector without loosening the entire case (as stretching tools or sprays will do), so the device is not loose in the case.
Looks like the corners of your case are just a little tight that is causes uneven pressure and hence the bubbles
leaving the case as is will cause the protector to deform a little, or the glue to dry out leaving permanent bubbles.
Just a hint that I've passed on to others and so far all have said it works on a variety of cases from different manufacturers

I will try right away with my case. Thanks for the hint!

Anyway... having 2 pieces of protective screen will definitely help if one is not correctly applied in the first place.

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #3,148 of 5,538
N8ii Firmware V1.3EN has been released.
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/571.html

Update log
1. Recovered the system wake up function of Play/Pause and Next buttons on side panel.
2. Added system notification to warn users from overheating and low battery.
3. Added Power Mode, Amplifier Type and Timbre options in Audio settings menu;
4. Rectified selected UI and wordings;
5. Other bugs fixed and system optimisation.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #3,149 of 5,538
N8ii Firmware V1.3EN has been released.
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/571.html

Update log
1. Recovered the system wake up function of Play/Pause and Next buttons on side panel.
2. Added system notification to warn users from overheating and low battery.
3. Added Power Mode, Amplifier Type and Timbre options in Audio settings menu;
installed no problem. sounds the same as well

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #3,150 of 5,538
Announcement of N8ii Firmware V1.3EN

N8ii-Firmware-V1.3EN.jpg

New Functions and System Optimisation
1. Recovered the function of the Play/Pause and Next buttons on the side panel.
2. Added system notification to warn users of overheating and low battery.
3. Added Power Mode, Amplifier Type and Timbre options in the Audio settings menu;

Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating,

please visit our official website for more information.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back