Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #1,456 of 5,571
The WiFi of N8ii is better then N6ii, quite noticeably. Yes, the antenna is the key point here, most RF amp is good for the job, we literally need to tune down the power of the RF amp in order to reduce internal interference, a problem that happens quite often with metal chassis.
Yeah, but N6ii isn't bad at all. I was worried about overall performance of Android and wifi and I have not even closely been disappointed. Anyone who has owned a DX160 or Chord Poly knows disappointment in wifi.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,457 of 5,571
I did not pair with HD800S as this headphone requires a proper desktop amplifier and any resulting sound out of the N8ii would be too flawed for me to take seriously. Plus I much much prefer HD800S on my desktop tube amplifier.

Yes, I would say it’s more on the linear/neutral side. If this DAP was released by iBasso, I wouldn’t have been so surprised by the sound signature.

This DAP has truly excellent resolution, technicalities and will be honest with whatever iems you use with it. There are reference TOTL qualities here. The DAP isn’t performing any ‘magic’, rather it’s a conduit for the iem and will scale up performances accordingly. N8 OG will impart a certain ‘attitude’ to the iem (smoother, warmer, richer) similar to a tube amp. You may see N8 OG being described as ‘dense’ with a smaller soundstage.
N8ii so far is quite technical and the tube aspect helps smooth the edges in the treble (if you find them too jagged with a particular iem). Soundstage is quite wide, I don’t feel the DAP is limiting performance in any way or adding anything to the sound. The DAP will scale with whatever iem you throw at it.

I think it would have helped if Cayin named this as a N9 or something else. N8ii creates certain expectations as an improvement to N8. I find N8 and N8ii complementary, one isn’t necessary better than the other. N8ii may be better ‘technically’ and may not confine an iem as N8 OG did, but given my personal tonal preferences I would reach for N8 OG more often.

Thank you very much for your positive feedback even when N8ii does not meet your preference. This is a very noble and impartial impression that we don't expect from an users in your position, I appreciate sincerely and looking forward to your full review.

There was indeed a lenght discussion regarding the naming of the DAP as N8ii or N9. There are pros and cons either way, but marketing (and I am a guilty of that) insisted that, giving the current norm of retail price of high-end DAPs and IEMs, the name N9 would imply a significantly price increase from N8. At the end of the day, management wants to keep the DAP at the same price bracket as N8, and the features set is right for that too: Dual DAC, Dual timbre, Dual Output Mode.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #1,458 of 5,571
Yeah, but N6ii isn't bad at all. I was worried about overall performance of Android and wifi and I have not even closely been disappointed. Anyone who has owned a DX160 or Chord Poly knows disappointment in wifi.

Can't comment on other portable product, but the WiFi of N6ii is ineed a weak link when compare to its audio performance. Yes, its not bad at all, but not the better one among other mid-range DAPs. The N8ii, on the other hand, has indeed improved the WiFi range and stability through a different antenna design.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #1,459 of 5,571
DAP : Cayin N8ii (pre-ordered) | FiiO M17 |

David...I can't wait to hear your comparison between these two devices. Should ultimately be a "finesse" vs "power" battle :)

I'm not going to be transporting this so size makes no difference...but I have some pretty potent (over ear) headphones and nearly all DSD material---so I think I'm going to hear the finesse difference for sure. I also have a Conrad Johnson tube preamplifier in my home setup, so I'm definitely of that flavor.
I sure will share, got my tracking number, package should be moving soon :)

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,460 of 5,571
Thank you very much for your positive feedback even when N8ii does not meet your preference. This is a very noble and impartial impression that we don't expect from an users in your position, I appreciate sincerely and looking forward to your full review.

There was indeed a lenght discussion regarding the naming of the DAP as N8ii or N9. There are pros and cons either way, but marketing (and I am a guilty of that) insisted that, giving the current norm of retail price of high-end DAPs and IEMs, the name N9 would imply a significantly price increase from N8. At the end of the day, management wants to keep the DAP at the same price bracket as N8, and the features set is right for that too: Dual DAC, Dual timbre, Dual Output Mode.
@bigbeans can always be counted on to give a fair and balanced review. He's a real asset to this community. As for naming conventions, I very much look forward to how you name your R2R line of DAPs going foward. Hopefully they'll be a whole new line, like your sister company HiBy has done with the RS/DARWiN series, and not just an add-on to an existing line such as N6.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,461 of 5,571
Well, our C9 remain intact after 2 months, so there is a slim hope for N8ii ... :wink:

The build and wiring is very good for hobbyist DIY, but may I proposed endgame No.2 for your HD800S? Single-ended 300B tube headphone amplifier with custom output transformer for 300 ohm headphone. :o2smile:
Yeah, I do run 300B from that Amp, and them Lundahl are custom made transformers :wink:, and yes, was built for high impedance as well. The amp is quiet amazing. Also is Non Negative Feedback
A1C24480-60D1-422D-9835-66817807311C.jpeg
3F2F6DE1-B935-4440-A533-A68FEB35BC9B.jpeg70016D9D-40A7-4BAE-9305-33EE5A6A2F30.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #1,465 of 5,571
NOS!

Nah…I gotta sell my daily vehicle to buy NOS, and who knows when it quit working. The current production has 5 years warranty :). So it is a fool proof choice. The only NOS I love much is from 2A3 , KenRad RCA
I thought the boxes looked clean and crisp. Do you perhaps have a child or a kidney you are not so bothered about?

I've been trying to make sense of 6SN7 options this week and I think that I have finally settled on some new production valves from PSVANE but not decided yet on which ones. The NOS options were myriad and confusing and with more opinions attached to each one than people on this whole forum!

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #1,466 of 5,571
I did not pair with HD800S as this headphone requires a proper desktop amplifier and any resulting sound out of the N8ii would be too flawed for me to take seriously. Plus I much much prefer HD800S on my desktop tube amplifier.

Yes, I would say it’s more on the linear/neutral side. If this DAP was released by iBasso, I wouldn’t have been so surprised by the sound signature.

This DAP has truly excellent resolution, technicalities and will be honest with whatever iems you use with it. There are reference TOTL qualities here. The DAP isn’t performing any ‘magic’, rather it’s a conduit for the iem and will scale up performances accordingly. N8 OG will impart a certain ‘attitude’ to the iem (smoother, warmer, richer) similar to a tube amp. You may see N8 OG being described as ‘dense’ with a smaller soundstage.
N8ii so far is quite technical and the tube aspect helps smooth the edges in the treble (if you find them too jagged with a particular iem). Soundstage is quite wide, I don’t feel the DAP is limiting performance in any way or adding anything to the sound. The DAP will scale with whatever iem you throw at it.

I think it would have helped if Cayin named this as a N9 or something else. N8ii creates certain expectations as an improvement to N8. I find N8 and N8ii complementary, one isn’t necessary better than the other. N8ii may be better ‘technically’ and may not confine an iem as N8 OG did, but given my personal tonal preferences I would reach for N8 OG more often.
Saying this I did plug in my HD800s into the N8ii, put it on P with Class A amp with high gain and the sound was respectable. Took the volume to 78 with room to push it further. This was already adequate for me to listen to Luther Vandross on Busy Body, “I let you slide”. Saying this I am not a die hard heavy bass listener and of course a desktop amp would be much better. I am pairing with VE Black Erlkonig and it is just perfect for me 👍

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #1,467 of 5,571
Saying this I did plug in my HD800s into the N8ii, put it on P with Class A amp with high gain and the sound was respectable. Took the volume to 78 with room to push it further. This was already adequate for me to listen to Luther Vandross on Busy Body, “I let you slide”. Saying this I am not a die hard heavy bass listener and of course a desktop amp would be much better. I am pairing with VE Black Erlkonig and it is just perfect for me 👍
Good to hear and good test track :ok_hand: Love a bit of Luther myself.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,468 of 5,571
Good to hear and good test track :ok_hand: Love a bit of Luther myself.
Tbh I wouldn’t say N8ii is neutral sounding. It has plenty of body and musicality If compared to the LP6 TI. I find the LP6 TI neutral and this is great for someone who really wants a thin sound but pursue that technical reproduction. I have a Luxman tube HiFi set up at home and the N8ii gives me this flavour like I am sat in front of it but with the bonus of hearing all the details. I now have just the N8 Gold, N8ii and the LP6 TI. This is all I really need with a few flavours of IEMs to get the variety of sound I want from different genres of music.

Attachments

• 315B826A-CC71-4FBA-9CD0-A7F03AADC7F0.jpeg
    315B826A-CC71-4FBA-9CD0-A7F03AADC7F0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #1,469 of 5,571
Tbh I wouldn’t say N8ii is neutral sounding. It has plenty of body and musicality If compared to the LP6 TI. I find the LP6 TI neutral and this is great for someone who really wants a thin sound but pursue that technical reproduction. I have a Luxman tube HiFi set up at home and the N8ii gives me this flavour like I am sat in front of it but with the bonus of hearing all the details. I now have just the N8 Gold, N8ii and the LP6 TI. This is all I really need with a few flavours of IEMs to get the variety of sound I want from different genres of music.
How many hours does yours have on it now?

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #1,470 of 5,571
How many hours does yours have on it now?
I got it on 7 March and listen every day for 3-4 hours especially at night. So let’s say 3 hours per day for 9 days. 27 hours.😊 It could be longer because I listen to it to sleep and many a nights I wake up at 3am with it still running And have to switch it off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back