Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,441 of 1,852
Well, if the N7 needs a C9 to elevated to n8ii level than it doesn't make sense to get N7 if N8ii can be had for as low as $14-1500 on used market. I figured the N7 will have a different sound signature for sure. I just have to try N7 soon.
Absolutely. Every DAP will have it unique sound signature and features. N8ii has Nutube whereas N7 is a 1-bit DAP , completely different architectures. While tonality can be measured, technicality is unfortunately subjective though people have mentioned it is present in frequency response tweaks. It is completely up to you as to buying new or used.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,442 of 1,852
Well, if the N7 needs a C9 to elevated to n8ii level than it doesn't make sense to get N7 if N8ii can be had for as low as $14-1500 on used market. I figured the N7 will have a different sound signature for sure. I just have to try N7 soon.
I have tried the N8ii, N7 (standalone), and N7 + C9. IMO, the N7 + C9 combo has better staging (in terms of width) than N8ii alone. Also, the treble is more ethereal in a sense. If you want a standalone DAP, definitely the N8ii is the best all-rounder. However, I think the N7 + C9 is on par with, if not better than N8ii alone, overall. The N7's limiting factor is the amp section, the DAC is as competitive as anything on the market.

Also, N8ii for $1500 is too low to be true. I have not seen one lower than $2000.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #1,443 of 1,852
For those who own the N7 still enjoying the dap? There is some headfiers who compared N7 to N8 and N8ii said the N7 sounded very midtier. I hope to try the N7 soon.
Who? Honestly, you can read all and the contrary in reviews. I read it was bright, I find it warm (you find also poeple saying it is warm).

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,444 of 1,852
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #1,445 of 1,852
There you go my friend. 1599 with best offer. There is another one sold for less than that. You got do some searching.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/sale-cayin-n8ii.46633/
I see from your signature, you do have some of most expensive DAPs, headphones, IEMs... There are reviews written by veterans like twister6 and bunch of experienced headfiers in the review section for this DAP. Please read and decide if this is something your cup of tea. I dont see a point arguing used prices of DAP that originally cost 3500 against this DAP.

I hope you buy something you like and enjoy the music, rather continue this debate.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,446 of 1,852
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,447 of 1,852
Who? Honestly, you can read all and the contrary in reviews. I read it was bright, I find it warm (you find also poeple saying it is warm).
Warm in audio is a tilt toward the bass and low mids, while it should also have treble. If it lack upper mids/treble it would be called dark instead.

Very many audio words is used different by person to person.

I would say that N7 is warm, while also having very clear highs with great realism. I have used it as standalone for IEMs and paired with AMP for headphones. In all cases warm sounding, but not too bright.

But if you come from a source that is more dark, this will be brighter in comparison.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,448 of 1,852
I see from your signature, you do have some of most expensive DAPs, headphones, IEMs... There are reviews written by veterans like twister6 and bunch of experienced headfiers in the review section for this DAP. Please read and decide if this is something your cup of tea. I dont see a point arguing used prices of DAP that originally cost 3500 against this DAP.

I hope you buy something you like and enjoy the music, rather continue this debate.
No debate. I own all daps from most expensive to cheapest. Like everything else its all preference. I did not say n7 is inferior. That's why i said i will try it soon. I think n7 will definitely have a different sound signature and maybe my cup of tea. Price definitely don't dictate SQ. 👍

Jul 17, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,449 of 1,852
@Andykong can you explain to us why Cayin has introduced the different DSD modes please? (64/128/256/512). Can’t find any infos on it. Is it about energy saving? Or sound signature? Or something else?? It seems to me that 512 has a bit more depth but drains battery a bit faster. Maybe am wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️ (Edit : I am probably wrong about battery)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,450 of 1,852
Dear all,

As a new comer to mobile DAP’s in general and to the CAYIN N7 specifically, I have troubles in handling the GUI & Software.
While I got reasonably along with my first “Entry-level” DAP, an older Astell & Kern, I haven’t found my way with Cayin Music App, as installed in the N7.

+> Are there some additional User Instructions somewhere ? Kind of "Cayin GUI help for Dummies" :smiley: ??

Specific problem: With the A&K I could select a folder or album, and it would play the songs as listed.
With the N7, the sequence is wild and at random, from various folders or albums ! Annoying & frustration to try to listen to an Opera and have all sorts of “jazz” interferring….….

+> Where do I have to put or remove a marker or tick to play in my preferred sequence ?

Please have MERCY with an “old age DAP beginner” , whose typical “user interface” consists of a vintage record player with a manual Tonearm & Lift - or a CD player with just an ordinary Remote.:sob:

Thanks & Regards

Urs

Just a remark: beside the above difficulty, the N7 is a marvellous player and presents an excellent sound
And: additional surprise for me: it also plays Videos !!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #1,451 of 1,852
Perhaps you were used to another software before? Maybe you can install it?
I installed Poweramp on my side, I like the UI. Maybe you can give a try.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,452 of 1,852
It is crazy how good is the preamp section of the N7 (preamp and DAC combined probably). It improves tracks I usually find not so good. For instance I had been a bit disappointed by the last « Live » of Hans Zimmer, I found it a bit flat. Now all is dancing in 3D and it is pretty impressive.

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,453 of 1,852
Luckily the amp Power is rather limited.
Yesterday I used the N7 as preamp into the Envy at full volume. Today I plugged the Liric in and forgot to adjust the volume first.

This mistake could have ended worse, but luckily both my Liric and more impotantly my ears are unharmed

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,454 of 1,852
Yesterday I used the N7 as preamp into the Envy at full volume. Today I plugged the Liric in and forgot to adjust the volume first.

This mistake could have ended worse, but luckily both my Liric and more impotantly my ears are unharmed
Actually I guess you haven't used high gain, Pre balanced, have you?
Otherwise that's 7.0 Vrms at 100% volume !
LO is 4.0 Vrms which is also enough to blast your ears depending on the setting of your connected amp.

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,455 of 1,852

That‘s one of the risk in using LO in Pre amp mode, the volume level is shared with PO and not independent, so if you‘re not attentive it could hurt a little 😅

Why didn’t you used LO fixed level instead of Pre at max volume to feed the Envy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back