Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jul 15, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,426 of 1,852
Thx mate.
Is there a way to apply EQ when streaming MQA files from Tidal?
By design you’re not supposed to be able to eq MQA files. I am sure there are ways around that, but then you’re not getting that full artist experience 😂

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,427 of 1,852
By design you’re not supposed to be able to eq MQA files. I am sure there are ways around that, but then you’re not getting that full artist experience 😂
MQA is a crappy Format anyways, Unfortunately still a noteable amount of Tidals library is in MQA

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,428 of 1,852
My N7 Review unit arrived today.

Does the Cayin App support streaming (Tidal) or do I have to download the Tidal App?

If someone could share a few Amazon Links for cables to connect the N7 to my DAC and Amp, I'd be thankfull.

I'd like to test it as external Source and DAC as well, but missed to prepare ordering cables in Advance
Which cables?
USB C to B? I used audioquest cinnamon C to b.
Hdmi for I2S?
3.5 to RCA - you probably have one already.
4.4 to XLR - no suggestion. I used Hiby CR8 docking station which converted 4.4 to XLR, then used XLR to XLR cable.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,429 of 1,852
I once bought these cables for testing DAP to Desktop Amp connections but that's for sure no audiophile grade quality considering people paying 1k+ bucks for IEM cables and IC cables 😉
https://amzn.eu/d/ayRBzT0

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,430 of 1,852
MQA is a crappy Format anyways, Unfortunately still a noteable amount of Tidals library is in MQA
Didn't tidal dropped it already, switching to flac? And mqa did file for bankrupcy not too long ago.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,431 of 1,852
Didn't tidal dropped it already, switching to flac? And mqa did file for bankrupcy not too long ago.
Not everything switched yet, but yes that issue will resolve itself

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,432 of 1,852
My N7 Review unit arrived today.

Does the Cayin App support streaming (Tidal) or do I have to download the Tidal App?

If someone could share a few Amazon Links for cables to connect the N7 to my DAC and Amp, I'd be thankfull.

I'd like to test it as external Source and DAC as well, but missed to prepare ordering cables in Advance
Most cables on this store has OK quality, while maybe a little stiff. Ordered this one myself and is happy, I already had a XLR cables and adapter to 4.4mm. but this cable turned out better with no need for adapters.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.38.30531802vLYfTL

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,434 of 1,852
We all hear things differently. From time to time I still get pinged by people who tell me they invested into a new $3k+ DAP and to "their ears" iPhone with $5 apple dongle sounds "as good". Go figure. At least here with N7 you don't have to spend any money to move from DSD64 to DSD512. If you hear it, you hear it, if you don't, then you don't. But it is always good to have options.
I focused a lot but I did not hear anything different. Will try to see if DSD64 drains less battery 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,435 of 1,852
For those who own the N7 still enjoying the dap? There is some headfiers who compared N7 to N8 and N8ii said the N7 sounded very midtier. I hope to try the N7 soon.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,436 of 1,852
For those who own the N7 still enjoying the dap? There is some headfiers who compared N7 to N8 and N8ii said the N7 sounded very midtier. I hope to try the N7 soon.
I dont own N7 or N8ii for full disclosure, but I do own N6ii(A02) and N8 (first ever tube amp implementation in a DAP).

I am sure from DAP to DAP comparison, N8ii being flagship DAP might be technically superior to N7 and I think Cayin positioned the product appropriately with price ranges. However, from people's impressions here that combining N7+C9 (or in my case N6ii A02 +C9) can elevate it to flagship level of N8ii (or in my case N8). My 2 cents.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,437 of 1,852
I dont own N7 or N8ii for full disclosure, but I do own N6ii(A02) and N8 (first ever tube amp implementation in a DAP).

I am sure from DAP to DAP comparison, N8ii being flagship DAP might be technically superior to N7 and I think Cayin positioned the product appropriately with price ranges. However, from people's impressions here that combining N7+C9 (or in my case N6ii A02 +C9) can elevate it to flagship level of N8ii (or in my case N8). My 2 cents.
Well, if the N7 needs a C9 to elevated to n8ii level than it doesn't make sense to get N7 if N8ii can be had for as low as $14-1500 on used market. I figured the N7 will have a different sound signature for sure. I just have to try N7 soon.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,438 of 1,852

Some even say better but I wonder if the main characteristic of the N7 is the wide soundstage. It is soooo wide. You dive I to the music (but I use with the C9 in pre-amp mode)

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,439 of 1,852

Comparing N7 to N8ii is like comparing 🍎 to 🍊

And nothing mid-tier about N7 like A&K SE300, it’s a different DAP with discreet-like signature and features: PCM to DSD, Pre/LO, balanced discreet A/AB amp with more than adequate power to drive low impedance IEMs and headphones, portable, etc

Sure you can add and stack a C9 for more power with audible improvements to soundstage, shifts in signature depending on Pre/LO, but it’s not like you have to invest in both immediately.

Personally, I preferred N7’s signature and synergy with my IEMs more than N8ii.

While I enjoyed N8ii since launch, it’s overall usability – heat, brighter and more revealing signature became too fatiguing overtime and limited synergy with my IEMs that it didn’t make sense holding on to it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,440 of 1,852
if N8ii can be had for as low as $14-1500 on used market
Please share such listings O.o

It retails for close to 3.7k why would anyone sell it for 1500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back